Author Topic: Perch or bluegills??  (Read 10430 times)

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
Perch or bluegills??
« on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:33 PM »
im new to the pike thing...   and wish to use native bait, that i jig up (hopefully) and was wonder what some of you guys use and have success with?  Perch? kivers? or something else?? and what are best sizes??  i have learned that you fish the bottom, a foot or two up. correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again –moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Perch or bluegills??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2005, 05:29 PM »
I've caught pike on all kinds of panfish. All sizes work good but I get bigger pike on the bigger eating size. I have always done the best on bluegills and sunfish. Usually run about a number four treble hook towards the rear of the dorsal fin and keep it 2' - 3' from the bottom in water 15' feet deep or more. I run the bait a little higher in shallower water. Pike will always come up for a live bait. They also will pluck dead baits right off the bottom.
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2005, 05:59 PM »
It depends on which of the two is most numerous. In my area perch are more common than bluegills and I like to whack a small 4 - 6" perch on the head and put a couple split shot above it so it swims and struggles with a subtle action instead of swimming all over the place.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:10 PM »
I have great luck in the summer using any sunfish

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:24 AM »
Be sure it is legal to use native fish for bait.  It is illegal here in NY.

ranger :tipup:

bigdave1018

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:36 PM »
huh clay? perch and golden shiners are the number 1 producers for pike in ny. alive is better dead works to.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:13 PM »
Using spiny finned fish is illegal in NY.

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:45 PM »
Be sure it is legal to use native fish for bait.  It is illegal here in NY.

ranger :tipup:
Using spiny finned fish is illegal in NY.
where in the regs does it say this Ive looked many times but can not find it
Sax

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:42 AM »
where in the regs does it say this Ive looked many times but can not find it

Quote from the DEC regs!

Collecting Baitfish
Any person who has a fishing license or is entitled to fish without a license may collect baitfish for personal use (sale prohibited) as specified in the following table. Fish taken may be used only for bait in hook-and-line fishing. These are the only circumstances where the use of seines, traps, cast nets, and gill nets are permitted unless a commercial license has been obtained. Possession of endangered or threatened fish species is prohibited.

Minnows, killifish, mudminnows, darters, sticklebacks, stonecats, smelt, alewives, suckers, and blueback herring are the only fish that may be taken.*

Ranger

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:08 AM »
I've used perch here in NJ with some
success. check regs where you live to
see if legal :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:39 AM »

Using perch are illegal here in N. H.

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:51 AM »
thanks ranger I was pretty sure that it was illegal I just couldn't find I see it now  :)
Sax

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:07 AM »
From NYSDEC

§19.1 Definition of baits

(a) Artificial lures or bait shall mean manmade flies, spinners, spoons, plugs, jigs and other lures, even though there may be some natural substances contained in such lures as, but not limited to, deer hair and feathers, and artificial imitations of natural bait.

(b) Natural bait shall mean all baits which entice or might be ingested or swallowed by fish including, but not limited to, fish (dead or alive), fish eggs, worms, shellfish, crustacea, amphibians (salamanders, frogs and toads), insects (including all stages of development as larvae, pupae, etc.), pork rinds, liver, meat, corn or other vegetable matter, tapioca, candy, cheese, bread and putty or dough-like scented baits.

(c) Artificial fly means a hook with no more than two points dressed with feathers, hair, thread, tinsel or any similar material to which no hooks, spinners, spoons or similar devices have been added.

I interpret this to mean that if Natural Bait is allowed  you can use any fish alive or dead unless noted otherwise for a specific body of water. ie Lake George no Smelt, or some smaller adirondack trout waters where bait fish are prohibited etc

As for as the rules you posted RangerClay, I think that applies to catching baitfish not using it???

Can anyone clarify this for me? baby Perch has been my goto bait for pike and eyes for years :(

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I says "may collect baitfish for personal use (sale prohibited) as specified in the following table. Fish taken may be used only for bait in hook-and-line fishing."

It reads very clear to me.  I'm not sure what other uses you have for suckers besides bait but I believe a conservation officer will laugh at you then write a ticket if you tell him how you interpret the law ;D

Do what you want.  Don't blame me if you get caught.

Ranger

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:50 AM »
well ranger dodo head... I would not say that to an ECO, thats why I am asking about the law. I am trying to educate myself. I still personally do not see where it says you can not use spiney fish for bait. I am not really sure who you think wants to use a sucker for something else but ok????

Offline kwiky364

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2006, 11:27 AM »
sounds to me that is for catching bait fish. dont say nothin bout usin perch or gills as bait key words. Collecting Baitfish
Quote from the DEC regs!

Any person who has a fishing license or is entitled to fish without a license may collect baitfish for personal use (sale prohibited) as specified in the following table. Fish taken may be used only for bait in hook-and-line fishing. These are the only circumstances where the use of seines, traps, cast nets, and gill nets are permitted unless a commercial license has been obtained. Possession of endangered or threatened fish species is prohibited.

Minnows, killifish, mudminnows, darters, sticklebacks, stonecats, smelt, alewives, suckers, and blueback herring are the only fish that may be taken.*

Ranger
[/quote]

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2006, 01:13 AM »
I have followed this thread for a bit, thought I would add my 2 cents.  I for one would not like to get an ECO in a writing mood  :callcops: so I wrote an e-mail to the DEC. Waiting for a reply.  I understand the section of the regs quoted by RangerClay to mean that only those fish listed could be taken by the method outlined.  I'll post the reply if I get one. 
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2006, 12:48 PM »
looking forward to see what old DEC has to say on this bwalleye!

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:01 PM »
everyone interpets things differently
even 2 DEC officers will interpert the same thing differently
would like to hear their reply before I make my trip to NY :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Ta Da  here is the simple reply to my question

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: use of fish as bait
Date: Monday, January 23, 2006 12:05 PM

You cannot collect or sell sunfish or perch as bait but since there is no length limit on them you can catch one and use it as bait.

>>> <[email protected]> 01/19/06 11:09 AM >>>
Is it permissible to use sunfish or perch caught by hook and line as bait?

So, there it is. The answer is, yes :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2006, 07:57 AM »
Thanks bwalleye
thats just the answer I wanted to hear :tipup:

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:30 PM »
amen!

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2006, 10:46 AM »
 :bow: :bow:

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Andy,
    The only live fish that may be used as bait in NH waters are listed on page 14 of the Freshwater Fishing Digest.  Spiny finned fish are not included in that list.  There is a restriction on ME/NH border waters prohibiting spiny finned fish as bait, either live or dead (page 64 of the Digest).
Sgt. Bonenfant
This is what NH says about the subject :'(
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:19 PM »
I too, e-mailed DEC. here is DEC response with my initial message at latter section of correspondence:

The 2004-06 Freshwater Fishing Regulations Guide speaks to the use to fish as bait.   See pages 12 and 13 (I assume that you have a copy).
As you will see, "Any person who has a fishing license or is entitled to fish without a license may collect bait for personal use (sale prohibited). Fish taken may be used only for bait in hook-in-line fishing."
There are some specific stimulations as to which species can be taken using various gears such as seines, trap nets,  cast nets and gill nets.

Secondly, if you look at the RESTRICTED BAITFISH SECTION, you will see that perch are not included (ie they are not restricted).

Third,  you do need to take note of the fact that the use of bait (any bait) is prohibited in several waters, many trout waters. You will see these in the different sections of the guide (e.g. the Special Regulations by County section).

As far as your specific question, there is nothing that prohibits you from using a perch (that you catch) as bait,  as long as it is not in a specific water that has a specific prohibition against using bait .

>>> Fish FW 01/25/06 3:17 PM >>>
Please assist, thanks.

01/23/06 10:10 PM >>>
I am writing to clear some difference in opinion among some anglers. I have
been told that it is illegal to use a perch for live bait.even if that perch
was caught by hook and bait in waters where perch are native and a food
source for predatory fish. In reviewing D.E.C. Fishing regs I do not find
anything specific to this claim.
    Please advise.

Respectfully

No more muddy waters for NY anglers
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2006, 02:55 AM »
Good to hear...I was catching a bunch of 3-4 inch perch the other day and quit cause I had no use for them, I never knew you could use perch/sunies as bait in NYS, always thought it was illegal....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Golden Luther

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trophy Fish and Me Don't Get Along
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2006, 06:54 PM »
Pond shiners if you can jig the are great.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Can't use a game fish for bait in NY!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2006, 10:32 PM »
If no other restrictions apply you may use fish that have no length limit placed on them.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:57 PM »
I dont know about using these for bait..but I know that where I have been fishing...were there are gills there are pike lurking...so it stands to reason they would be good bait

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.