Author Topic: Spyder Wire or To use a stell leader?  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: To use a steel leader or not?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2011, 08:32 AM »
30lb Flouro here, I havent had any Issues with bite offs, and i've iced a few pike pushing 30lbs..Ive been a part of the debate before , steel vs flouro.. Its all the situation/conditions your fishing in.. Crystal clear water or using live bait = Flouro, for 1 its obviously less visible, 2 I believe bait stays a little more active with fluoro and if your fishing in stained water using live bait you want it to get noticed. Fishing with dead bait it really doesnt matter IMO as the pike are sniffing the bait out... Bottom line is both are effective under the right situation/conditions if you're fishing for a trophy or not....

I like this idea...always been a wire leader guy but going to experiment:

Wire leader with dead (smelt) bait and fluoro with a live (sucker) minnow and a colorado blade for some flash...hmmmmmm ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:43 PM »
I think I have 60lb flouro that I use for pike. Use what ur comfortable with and play the fish. If she wants to run let her run. If u horse it in there's a better chance of break off.
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:08 PM »
Not to contradict anything, but I would think braid would be good for pike? I dont use braid so this is just a question. I thought braid was supposed to be highly abrasion resistant?

What about a superline like Fireline? I had all I could do to cut the stuff at 6lb test.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline doubletreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:13 PM »
I use the extra 50 lb braid from my bass fishing bait-caster to make pike fishing rigs. I haven't had one break yet and it seems to spook less fish than with the steel leader. Use braid you wont be disappointed  ;D
Michigan State University

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:25 PM »
Any suggestions on tying thick (50lb) fluoro leaders?  I have some 50 lb Berkley Vanish fluoro leader material and have had trouble tying knots with it. 

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Use crimps much easier and stronger imo
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #36 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:47 AM »
Any suggestions on tying thick (50lb) fluoro leaders?  I have some 50 lb Berkley Vanish fluoro leader material and have had trouble tying knots with it.

Shawn, use a Uni knot, I use it on 100 lb flouro, makes a nice clean easy to tie knot, best I've found for the heavy stuff.

http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll likely try crimping and try the uni knot as well.  Part of the problem may be that it's vanish leader material.  I was doing some reading and it seems like it isn't very easy to tie knots in. 

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Either way pull on it with some pliers on both ends. I do this a bit harder than I know I will with the fish and it will tighten the knot and or make sure ur crimps are secure.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #39 on: Nov 25, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Shawn, use a Uni knot, I use it on 100 lb flouro, makes a nice clean easy to tie knot, best I've found for the heavy stuff.

http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

DITO and make sure you give the tag end a good tug with some hemos, heavy fluoro has a tendency to unravel itself if you dont.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 25, 2011, 10:33 PM »
use Florocarbon leader. go as heavy as you want. i use 20# with few issues.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #41 on: Nov 30, 2011, 07:42 PM »
I only fish with flouro now when it comes to pike fishing (started swiching about 4-5years ago) and I can honestly say I have seen a dramatic increase in the amount of flags I get. I havn't had any break offs either, in fact we took a trip to lake of the woods last year and landed 27 northerns over 35" including 6 over 40", all on flouro. I've used 40lb and 50lb which is tough to tie but still possible. I've started crimping the 50lb leaders last year and it worked well, just be careful not to pinch the edges and damage the flouro. I think I'm going to order some 65lb gamma for the upcoming season :tipup:

Offline find me on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:45 PM »
Steel leaders are junk. i have consistantly went out with friends who use steel leaders and everytime i catch more fish. use a braded line for a leader.

Offline find me on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spyder Wire
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:53 PM »
No good for pike.  Their teeth will cut through it with ease.  Go with 30, 40 or 50lb. florocarbon.

i disagree with this 110 percent. i have used spyder wire for the past two years and fish pike everytime i go out. i have never had a pike cut thru the spyder wire. Spyder wire works great for me and the guys i fish with.

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spyder Wire or To use a stell leader?
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:22 AM »
would recommend floucarbon

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Great Debate Guys...

Last year while targetting Pike in softwater season had 2 nice fish over 10#'s on and both bit off my 17 # braid as they turned to run. On the ice last year used Power Pro green 15 # and got bit off once. (last year was a slow year for me, I didn't have many Pike on).

This year I am going to invest in some Heavy Floro leader and try my luck. I usually target Pike in hardwater season so I might as well rig it for success. I always figured braid was super strong but Pike can chomp it with ease when they turn.
Born to fish...Forced to work...To pay for Fishing!!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Braid+anything abrasive= :(

I have caught a whole butt load of pike on soft and hard water and I can definitively say that the only reason pike are landed on braid is sheer luck. You are better off with plain ol mono than braid. You can go up to 100lb braid, but the only thing saving you is the extra diameter and high number of fibers.

Steel when they don't care, Fluro when they do.

Rocks, timber, pike teeth, and especially zebra mussels will get the best of superlines every time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.