Author Topic: Lets talk dead bait !  (Read 28722 times)

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lets talk dead bait !
« Reply #30 on: Sep 22, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Are most of you guys using dead bait using quick strike rigs, or just a single hook?  I have had mixed results with dead bait, sometimes outperforming and sometimes underperforming my live bait.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Oct 20, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Are most of you guys using dead bait using quick strike rigs, or just a single hook?  I have had mixed results with dead bait, sometimes outperforming and sometimes underperforming my live bait.

I use quick strike rigs for mine.
No live bait allowed where I live.
Dipped this years bait supply last Sunday.
Bring on the ice!!!!   ;D

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:47 PM »
kitman, I see you are from Mi. also ,where are you finding whole ,head on smelt,? I was told by a fish dealer, in Flint area that I would never be able to find any whole smelt in Mi., because they were cleaned onboard the smelt boats, help

Offline cubbee71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:59 AM »
I have fished pike using quick strike rigs with smelt for many years.  I agree with popping the bladder...always works.  Juice it up with some extra scent.  If you plan to release fish avoiding nails is probably prudent.  Herring and suckers can also work.  I like to fish the bait about 12" off the bottom. 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Always big lively shiners or suckers. Have accounted for a 19, 16, 15, 15 pound pike in the last 5 years.

Offline ddl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:58 PM »
If you ask for some frozen smelt they just might hand you some. I've only done this with smelt, in less than 20 fow. Throw the smelt on a hook of your choice(by the dorsal fin) and let it sink to the bottom. Yes, I said bottom. Set your trap and wait 15-20 minutes. Give them time to sniff it out. Check it by pulling it up four or five feet, if it is still on there you will know, then let it sit again. Don't go to far after you check it because they usually hammer it as it falls back to the bottom.
pike cant smell!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:02 PM »
pike cant smell!
Sure they can! That's what their nostrils are for. They can't smell as well as some other fish that feed heavily at night, like carp, but they definitely use smell to track down dead bait and make a decision as to weather they are going to eat it or not. If you want to test this try putting bug spray on your bait and see what happens  ;D

Offline ddl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:30 AM »
nope
i have caught pike on freshly painted cranks,and many times,i also have seen a guy who have caught one whit a twizzler candy.now are you gona tell me pike like the smell of candy and the smell of enamel spray can?
 maybe that's the reason why only a retarded company like dr juice claim to have a product that can attract pike...
 first they are using their view
second their letheral line but just a lil
for musky you can reverse the order
that's the reason why night fishing is really not the best time to catch pike,they hunt by view and a lil by their line

pike cant smell period!

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Where i live you cant use live bait so for walleye all we do is hang a med shiner a foot off the bottom. For pike we use a large smelt or a large shiner and hang it about 3 inch off bottom works very well for us up here.

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:49 AM »
  Last week I ran out of frozen herring being used for bait.  I filleted out a small northern and took a 6 inch piece of belly meat and attached to a quick strike rig. One hook on each end. An hour later it took a five pound northern. In past years I've taken pike on wieners and walleye egg sacs.  They are scavengers and often like a meal that involves little effort to grab and gulp down.

Also I do not worry about dead bait being head down.  I also many times hook a lively minnow on the quick rig in addition to the dead bait.  The vibrations of the minnow carry a good distance and is great in murky water.

The pike here are already carrying egg sacs and they are pushing back into the creeks that run into the Missouri river where I live.  Come on SPRING !!      ;D

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2012, 11:41 AM »
nope
i have caught pike on freshly painted cranks,and many times,i also have seen a guy who have caught one whit a twizzler candy.now are you gona tell me pike like the smell of candy and the smell of enamel spray can?
 maybe that's the reason why only a retarded company like dr juice claim to have a product that can attract pike...
 first they are using their view
second their letheral line but just a lil
for musky you can reverse the order
that's the reason why night fishing is really not the best time to catch pike,they hunt by view and a lil by their line

pike cant smell period!

All that video proves is that pike will hit just about anything that moves in the water if they feel like it...

If pike cant smell out bait or food then someone has to explain to me why I have caught several with mud on their snout , mud  and frogs in their stomachs through the ice ? Now unless someone can prove to me they are paning for gold and happen to stumble across a frog, Im going with the obvious choice they can sniff out frogs that bury themselves in the mud for the winter...... Ill agree that they are mainly sight oreintated but I cant tell you how many times i have caught pike on dead stinky bait when the water clarity is bad... Not to mention a small pike my cousin caught on a worm bullhead fishing at night....

TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline ddl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2012, 01:11 PM »
all the thing you are talking about are exceptional,for the mud,you know when a pike get hooked they can drag the bottom,mud don't stay  hours on a fish!
from what i know worms can move.
if you ask me your frog story sound like a bad hollywood movie.
in the late fall dig a hole and put the frog inside
 let the line sleep there for  the whole winter season and don't forget let us know the result..............

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:16 PM »
I would say by the Pictures that    Deadsmelthead has  he knows what he is talking about.  Unless you got the evidence to back your talk up it dont mean nothing.        Pike don't smell  Ha   now i have heard it all.     So I guess the jar of homemade stink bait that I made and just the other day caught a 39" on wont work  Oh well i guess i will just throw the jar away   :cookoo:
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:00 PM »
I've been using blue scads and pacific saury this year as bait. Both come inexpensively from grocery stores and are readily available. The scads are 8-12" long and the saurys are about 15". I hang them under 2 wire quickstrikes with #2-4 hooks and have been doing well this year. The best part about the salt water fish is that they sink, even frozen solid. No more worrying about thawing baits, hook them frozen and send them down the hole! I've caught 27" fish on 15" bait too, a case of eyes being bigger than its stomach.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:16 AM »
I've been using blue scads and pacific saury this year as bait. Both come inexpensively from grocery stores and are readily available. The scads are 8-12" long and the saurys are about 15". I hang them under 2 wire quickstrikes with #2-4 hooks and have been doing well this year. The best part about the salt water fish is that they sink, even frozen solid. No more worrying about thawing baits, hook them frozen and send them down the hole! I've caught 27" fish on 15" bait too, a case of eyes being bigger than its stomach.
10-4 on those scad. ;) Got 30# of them repackaged and vac-packed 2 to a bag just waiting on the next pike outing. They are much more durable than herring or smelt when it comes to taking a hit/miss and being reusable. I use a 3/0 Kahle wide gap on wire leader most often. Just stick it through the back around the dorsal area to hang it level with the point forward. But for "wise" fish that want to grab the hookless end I'll add another 3 inch wire leader with a #4 treble stuck in the tail end for a makeshift quickstrike.   And if that doesn't work the bonus is if you get skunked that day you can always eat them for dinner since they are a food fish. Mine came from the Philippines where they eat a lot of them.

About those pike eating pike and other fish, its been documented in F&G research that a pike can and will eat another pike up to 40% of its own body weight. A ten pounder can eat a 4 pounder. I've caught a couple of 4#'ers years ago that had huge razor blade slashes in their sides from a large northern hitting them from beneath on the belly side. These were in Alaska lakes where there was only pike and sticklebacks in the lakes as a food supply for the big ones.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:21 PM »
wish we could still use smelt here  :-\

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:55 PM »
Cisco is my favorite dead bait
 I Have seen several fish between 5 and 10 pounds hit the same tip up with the same dead cisco as bait. After 3 or 4 pike the bait was all torn up. All these fish came on the same day with the same old dead cisco.

Last winter we gutted a 9 lb pike that had 27 gobies,a mud puppy and a small perch plus a live shiner in it's gut.
When the feed is on they will hit what ever they can.

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:13 PM »
I would have to agree that dead baits work better for me especially in murky water. Ive been using a mix of dead shinners and live shinners (4-5 inches) for pike and my best days so far have been with the dead shinners. I start out with live shinners from the store, use them untill they die, then I throw them in a small ziplock bag in the freezer. These are small enough where I do not need a quick strike rig, and my hook up percentage is very high. I have only lost one pike this year and thats because I set the hook on his first run before he had a chance to stop, eat it and run again.

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:26 PM »
all the thing you are talking about are exceptional,for the mud,you know when a pike get hooked they can drag the bottom,mud don't stay  hours on a fish!
from what i know worms can move.
if you ask me your frog story sound like a bad hollywood movie.
in the late fall dig a hole and put the frog inside
 let the line sleep there for  the whole winter season and don't forget let us know the result..............

Pike can smell end of story. There was actually a thread started over your notion that pike can't smell. Its called "Can Pike Smell?" Type it in the search bar at the top of the page. Now how much they use their sense of smell is debatable but the fact that they can smell, is not.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I don't usually use bead bait, but one time I tried it and caught the biggest small mouth of my life.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline 5loaves2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:50 PM »
pike are an amazing predator fish. as far as dead bait for them, i would say herring, (tullibee) and smelt would have to be top choices for me.  i have used smelt for years and can attest that they catch pike, and can catch BIG pike.  my family has chased pike as long as i know of, the biggest being 31 pounds 12 oz.  that fish was caught using a dead smelt, fished on the bottom, steel leader, single kahle hook.  under the ice i have had pretty similar success with dead smelt as i have live bait,  depending on the time of year and the aggressive mood of the pike.  however, if you can find big bait, use it!  i have personally witnessed pike hitting pike of their similar size while the fish was being brought to the boat.  they have a voracious appetite.  now true, that is only striking the fish and not eating it.....but the most impressive i have seen was a 38 inch northern, which weighed i believe around 16 or 17 pounds, with a 22 inch whitefish (half digested) in its stomach....along with 11 smelt (almost completely undigested).  and that fish was caught on a smelt fished on the bottom.  in may. our advantage is that aside from immediate prespawn, winter time pike feed up the best under the ice.  in fact, in michigan's upper peninsula where i fish, they and perch are about the only game fish that don't go into mid winter lulls.  for pike, that lull is usually when the water warms up and they become nearly dormant in waters where they cannot find their preffered water temps of 50-55 degrees F or colder.   also, i will add that most times these big pike are caught while fishing dead bait RIGHT ON BOTTOM, occasionally lifting the bait up off the bottom.  at least that is the way it has gone for me and my family.  hope this helps!!      banjo 
Banjo

Offline thefshdentist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:06 PM »
dead bait fishing has realy grown on me the past few years. But i have to say dead bait is the way to go.

Offline #1Younggun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 21, 2012, 11:46 PM »
I have heard of some people using chicken wings??? Any body ever try this?

Offline 7mm08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 26, 2012, 10:05 AM »
if there not hanging flat stick a good sized finished nail up the goldies a$$ works every time :tipup:
Rather than using finishing nails i like carrying a roll of solder(like plumbers use), that way you can custom size the amt. of weight for the bait your using.

emt

« Reply #54 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:53 AM »
In saskatchewan, I fish mostly tobin and we use herrings and ciscoes-big ones-usually 8+ inches or bigger-I use a quick strike rig with treble hooks in-line-one hook goes in the head, one in the back by the fin-then you can hang it horizontally by adjusting the back hook forward or backward
the herrings I use don't have air in the bladder-they sink like a stone down the hole-the ciscoes do so I take a pocket knife and put a little slit into the stomach to drain the air out
EMT

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #55 on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:17 PM »
That's exactly how we do it here EMT :tipup:   I would becareful using solder if it has any lead in it. 7mm08   . Most solder is lead free but 50/50 has lead. It may be legal where you fish though.  Have fun and catch a HOG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.