The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hyalite getting cold!  (Read 1118 times)

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hyalite getting cold!
« on: Nov 11, 2019, 01:19 PM »
I fished the Hyalite last week. Some skim ice, especially in the coves. Open water was still open. Did well casting spinners along the ice edges. Can't wait for 3-5 inches, without snow. Early ice can be great. Once the ice covers, it will grow fast. I bought a new pair of floatation bibs at Sportsmen's Warehouse. Got the Big Boy size so I can wear clothes under it. Auger is tuned and the sled is waxed.
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hyalite getting cold!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Thanks for the update! Ive been meaning to check it out but for some reason i keep on turning to go hunting instead of fishing  ;D hardwater is almost here though andbi cannot wait!
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline RBC785

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Drove up this morning road has not been plowed yet this year real bumpy ride up one open spot of water by the dam 3/4” ice across the lake still another couple weeks at least

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2019, 05:52 PM »
As cold as it has been lately, there should be a few inches on the lake. Let me know if anyone has been there. Christmas tree cutting season is on so maybe someone can check it out. Looking forward to 5-6 inches of safe ice without a ton of snow on it.
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh

Offline SnoopySnowCone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2019, 08:19 PM »
Looking forward to 5-6 inches of safe ice without a ton of snow on it.

It's precisely that, if not thicker near launch/dam. Iced 12 trout between the 3 of us, fishing from 3-6pm. Lots of action, plenty of misses. There were maybe 4-5 other people/groups/shanties that came and went as well.

Offline Avianarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2019, 09:04 PM »
I heard the morning bite is better. I’m planning to fish it Monday afternoon and I’ll post results. Don’t forget to try small shrimp pieces on the jigs. It killed the last couple years. Stay safe out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.