Author Topic: fish mark or helix  (Read 788 times)

Offline capt276

• IceShanty Rookie
fish mark or helix
« on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:33 PM »
Hey there fellow ice fishing folks. I am thinking about buying a helix 5 or 7 - which im finding hard to locate either. I currently have a older fish mark 640, which works well. Do any of you fine people have suggestions as to what i should do? Keep using the fish mark or get a helix? I only use the electronics on the ice. Thanks for any input!

Offline Mcmich

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fish mark or helix
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:41 PM »
Ebay has pages of them.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2021, 05:58 PM »
Some on Amazon as well !!

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2021, 06:58 PM »
Helix 5 is a very good unit

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:12 PM »
Have the helix 7 and love it. Screen size is about perfect but now on the boat and starting to use the different screens wish it was just a little bigger but well worth the money in my opinion. Also have the di and si unit so it attaches to my i pilot trolling motor.  Love it.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:28 PM »
Yeah there a tons of Helix 5 and 7's available.. Check out Hodges Marines Website below- They also have the best prices!! Make sure to the the Ice version as it comes with everything needed to fish on hard waters..

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/hum411180-1-humminbird-ice-helix-5-chirp-g2.html
Marvin

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:26 AM »
X2 on Hodges Marine.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline capt276

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:01 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, another question - Will the helix mapping give you underwater topo features? What I would like is to be able to read the map and go to certain depths and features to start fishing- Will the helix do that? Also, thank you for the heads up for the places that have them.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:15 AM »
Got a Helix 7 Gen3 and just updated the firmware.  Humminbird added maps to the latest firmware, but i think its not as accurate as the LakeMaster or Navionics chips.... I have the Lakemaster and believe its accurate to one foot (off the top of my head).

Offline PolarEscape

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:17 AM »
Yes the Helix will give you Topo, Great Fish Finders. You can upgrade with additional mapping software too if you wish like Lake master. All in what your looking for. I just rigged mine up for Ice fishing used on my Boat all last season. I even think you can make your own map of the lake if you troll around in open water, I haven't tried that feature yet.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:28 AM »
I sold my fl18 and bought a helix 5 so I could have dual purpose sonar unit for my boat and for ice. For the price a helix 5 is hard to beat, I think it was $230 for the helix and another $130 to get a transducer and a genz box to mount it in. The battery doesn’t last long but I’m sure it is 4-5 years old and could need replaced. I wouldn’t replace. My flx28 with it but when I do it might be a helix 7 with a lithium battery setup.

Offline capt276

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will be ordering a helix 5- I really appreciate all the info.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:52 PM »
Helix 7. My Marcum M5 cant moved in 2 seasons. The 7 can be used 365 days a year. Can map lakes. Mark Waypoints. Create tracks. Use a lake master chip if you want. I love my 7.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.