Author Topic: How important is the use of electronic fish and depth finders?  (Read 2273 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Is there a lot of you guys that use these electronics for ice fishing? And if so is there a good inexpensive device one could use for depth or fish finding. I am afraid that if I moved up to using one of these devices I would be less likely to move  if i know that fish should be there or i can see them on screen.I Drill and Drop now.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Depends on what you are fishing for and where. For pike fishing I'm usually shallow enough where it is not worth it to use one. However, when I'm fishing in 20' or more it is useful. I have a Bottomline Buddy ($160-$180) that I use in deeper water and in the canoe in the summer. It works well enough for me to know where the fish are it increases my success rate on fish in those conditions.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Don't leave home without it.

I'm more likely to move when I can see that there are no fish in the hole, or the ones that are there are not going to hit anything in my tackle box.

I'm also partial to the more spendy LCD units myself.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

acsacmboy

for your applications, you might not need one. but if you go fishing for walleye trout even perch you will be supprised how much it will help. My father and i had never used one before until last winter when we bought a Zercom clearwater pro.  this thing is  amazing! its made my catch rate go up by about 5 times(then i started using swedish pimples that made it go up about 3 times w/o it) i will NEVER go out ice fishing or even fishing off my boat(made a bracket to fit on my 14 ft. alum. boat) with out it.we got ours for 180 bucks on ebay and it was worth it! i recomend getting one. they are worth it. trust these guys here they know what they are talking about

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
depends what you wantts fish for   bigger lakes i dont see a need smaller lakes/ponds  yes i see a need for a vex expecially lite biting perch/gills/crappie but once you get into the fish expecially if they are stacked up and biting well u dont need one but when they are finicky  it keeps you from going home skunked
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.