Author Topic: Staying warm on the ice  (Read 1978 times)

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
Staying warm on the ice
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I know there's always the classic get a fire going on the ice but I know a lot of places can give you a hard time as it leaves a lot of trash behind... I've heard of ideas of burn barrels but not sure what works or what some of you guys do. I have a shanty by the way but typically use tilts and prefer to be in the open but just wanted to see what other ideas there are. thanks

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Staying warm on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:50 AM »
I know there's always the classic get a fire going on the ice but I know a lot of places can give you a hard time as it leaves a lot of trash behind... I've heard of ideas of burn barrels but not sure what works or what some of you guys do. I have a shanty by the way but typically use tilts and prefer to be in the open but just wanted to see what other ideas there are. thanks

The only time I burn on the ice is if its under 10 degrees out and the place I am fishing is worth hauling out some wood to (meaning its close to my vehicle). In situations like this, I bring a saucer with fold-able legs. Wood is in a box in a jet sled jr. and when we are leaving, the ashes go back into the box and into my garden at home.

This guy but I built fold-able legs with wing nuts. Ice barely melts and there is no mess. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-30-in-Brookland-Black-Firepit-FT-1062C/302583548

Just add water.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:06 AM »
We used to build a spot on the end of the sled for a Coleman lantern. No top and a big hole in front so that light would shine out - we sat so that your legs were over the lantern, and you could keep your hands warm as well with the heat that came up. I have seen a neat fire pit made from a stainless steel washing machine tub. You just need to bolt something to the bottom to keep it off the ice or parking lot. The air comes in through all of the holes, and it reflects the heat back in to make a clean burning and intense fire. You can take it home with the ashes inside, but it burns so hot there is usually not a lot left.
 :tipup:

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:10 PM »
I don't do it very often but when I do Ill have one of those small black coleman (I think) fire pits or just do it on the ice, burnt wood isn't trash IMO.  Never heard of someone being given a hard time about it either but maybe rules are different in RI.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Check out one of this sites sponsors, the box is on top with the words, Entirely rust free design, in the box.

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Can't actually think of specific stories of people being given a hard time for fires on the ice but I mean I don't think anyones gunna put me behind bars for doing it. I have thought about getting one of those small patio fire pits like a couple of you had mentioned, seem pretty cheap too.
And yes, I did see the ad for the new portable fire box that's a new shanty sponsor this year but was hoping to hear some reviews of them first haha. Maybe I'll just get a buddy heater or something and use the shanty more. Thanks guys

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Check out one of this sites sponsors, the box is on top with the words, Entirely rust free design, in the box.

I just saw that, good call tbern. I've not seen one but the reviews are positive. :)

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2018, 01:16 PM »
I like having a buddy heater going in either of my portables. If I bring my two man sometimes I just use my little Coleman two burner stove.
Marking anything?

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2018, 05:28 PM »
good to see you here brendog

Offline Fishing_Machine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I have a single man flip up shanty/sled and I've been using an old Coleman lantern set between my knees when sitting and jigging.  I almost never use tipups anymore since I like to move around alot and fish often after dark for crappies.  The lantern lights up the ice inside the shelter and gives off enough heat to keep my reels from freezing unless it gets really cold.  I keep a squeeze bottle of alcohol to squirt on the reels to keep the line freed up if it gets too cold.  FM

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2019, 10:29 AM »
good to see you here brendog

Always good to be seen Ed. Hoping to get down to RI soon. Been really busy since Thanksgiving
Marking anything?

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:30 AM »
artic armor ice suit  mine is going into its seventh season warmest  minter suit I have ever had all I wear under  it is sweat shirt and sweat pants and more than once spent 16 hours on the ice   hardly use my flip over fish trap anymore and it floats

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Ice armor, it's unbelievable  warm. If you don't want to spend $400 then just get a 5 gallon steel pail and fill it with charcoal . You can cook on it and warm up.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I love my Striker cold weather suit.  It keeps me toasty warm and will keep me afloat, "heaven forbid" that I fall in.  If it gets so cold that I can't sit out on the ice, I'm heading for home, where its warm!

I almost regret getting the Striker Hardwater bibs and jacket. Almost. This suit is EXTREMELY warm and almost too warm for most of our fishing. The suit does double up as a great suit for the ATV while plowing.
Just add water.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:16 PM »
I like to be outside too. Shanty is OK but I just prefer being more in touch I guess. Few years back I fell into an original, lightly worn SnoSuit. Scary warm and durable. I can't even wear the parka unless it's in the teens. Stood out most of the day in -26 straight temp once and was comfortable except for my feet.

Solved the feet thing 2 years ago with a pair of Cabelas Trans Alaskans. First time in my life my feet have been comfortable without any additional help. Got so cold once I melted the soles off a pair of Rockys trying to warm my feet by the Big Buddy. Never felt a thing...

Proper attire is 95% of the battle.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Proper attire is 95% of the battle.
for this old man muck boots and my artic armor  is 100 % and like I said before I dont layer up under it and if it not frigid I have open the vent  zippers to cool off 20 degrees and if you dont open the vents you will sweat even with moderate activity im 270 lbs i tested it in the summer it floats so well i could not go under water with it

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:59 PM »
artic armor ice suit  mine is going into its seventh season warmest  minter suit I have ever had all I wear under  it is sweat shirt and sweat pants and more than once spent 16 hours on the ice   hardly use my flip over fish trap anymore and it floats

X2  Love every single thing about that suit.
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:16 PM »
On Top = Light Poly Prop. Long underwear. T -shirt, waffle shirt, flannel shirt Underarmour Sweatshirt with Hood. . Filson Wool Jacket over all that....Pants Heavy Poly prop Long Underwear, Filson Wool outer pants. Ranger Utility Boor (Baffin Style) with Ice cleats. Wool Hat Wool Mittens or wool finger mittens.  Strip it off/add as weather dictates (Frogg Toggs over all if the wind is downright ornery...)
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Classic long johns, t-shirt, jeans,hoodie, fleece neck gator that you can pull up over nose if needed, ball cap and one piece Dickies suit.

Normal tube socks and LL Bean Maine PAC Boots ( which are awesome, and guaranteed for life)

Don't forget the sunglasses for Sun and Wind.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:45 AM »
I wear transitions  but some kind of eye protection is a must 
side note transitions do lighten up if they are cold if have a second pair for when they get so dark I cant tie a knot 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.