New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429686 times)

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #3180 on: Jan 14, 2024, 07:29 AM »
Thanks Fish. I guess the smart decision is to give up on next weekend. Hopefully, I can work something out for Feb.
I wouldn’t give up on it as the area is chocked with lakes I frequent the nyc reservoirs often… maybe willing to trade some info PM me

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3181 on: Jan 15, 2024, 09:59 AM »
Group of guys ice fishing off the boat launch on Schroon this morning.
Tony

Offline captmango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3182 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:42 AM »
Group of guys ice fishing off the boat launch on Schroon this morning.

Eagle Point launch in the South, or the Schroon Lake beach launch to the North? Hoping to head up there this coming Saturday and do a little investigating.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3183 on: Jan 16, 2024, 09:43 AM »
Eagle Point launch in the South, or the Schroon Lake beach launch to the North? Hoping to head up there this coming Saturday and do a little investigating.
South of the Narrows open water.
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3184 on: Jan 17, 2024, 10:08 AM »

Today, Wed. 1-17
Tony

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3185 on: Jan 17, 2024, 11:25 AM »
Too much interent for me.  I remember when one could put in some leg work and get out there first ice with limited traffic and enjoy a nice early ice schroon gold smackdown.  Those days are long gone.  Thankfully the giant lake up a few exits gets less air time (and its lakers are larger!)

All that said I do enjoy some schroon action and then some food at sticks and stones.  I did stay at the new lodge in August and it was decent. 

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3186 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:51 AM »
Rescue call this morning (Thurs) 2 people through the ice on Paradox.  Just because there is good ice on the boat launch side doesn't mean the whole lake is safe. West (big) side froze much later and unevenly.  UPDATE; boat launch side, 8 wheel Argo.
Tony

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3187 on: Jan 18, 2024, 09:25 AM »
OMG!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3188 on: Jan 18, 2024, 09:32 AM »
Going to be a lot of that with people chasing ice reports and not checking before venturing out.  Hope they are ok.  Dont argo's float?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3189 on: Jan 18, 2024, 09:38 AM »
Going to be a lot of that with people chasing ice reports and not checking before venturing out.  Hope they are ok.  Dont argo's float?
I believe they do, better than having to go down and retrieve a 4 wheeler, still..... 
Tony

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3190 on: Jan 18, 2024, 10:52 AM »
Was just thinking that amphibious vehicle pretty great idea safest bet besides an airboat or hovercraft used in Midwest rivers hope they where alright

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3191 on: Jan 18, 2024, 11:58 AM »
Machine was an 8 wheel Argo, went in head first, took on water but did float. Guys got wet, but didn't go in. They got towed back and off the ice.  Where they went in was the Narrows, a spot that is notorious for having bad ice, even in the coldest of winters, which this is not.  Shallow water, springs, and strong current adds to the danger.
Tony

Offline LLclearwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3192 on: Jan 26, 2024, 07:48 AM »
Any updates, looking to head up to Schroon this weekend?
Thanks in advance
LLCLEARWATER

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3193 on: Jan 26, 2024, 09:33 AM »
Lots of water and slush out there this morning. I'm waiting till early next week for things to button up.
Tony

Offline LLclearwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3194 on: Jan 26, 2024, 09:40 AM »
Thank you tony
LLCLEARWATER

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #3195 on: Jan 29, 2024, 08:40 AM »
4 inches of crappy ice off eagle yesterday. It didnt seem to make or lose any ice while I was there.

You can park at the bottom still
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3196 on: Jan 29, 2024, 01:41 PM »
I fished the north end of Schroon on Saturday.  About 4 inches of slush / water on top and 6 - 7 inches of ice.
4-5 inches of good ice / about 2 inches of snow ice.

Managed 1 small Laker and about a dozen perch.
Couldn't believe how deep the perch were!

Thanks
Let your life proceed by its own designs
Nothing to tell now
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3197 on: Jan 29, 2024, 02:09 PM »
I fished the north end of Schroon on Saturday.  About 4 inches of slush / water on top and 6 - 7 inches of ice.
4-5 inches of good ice / about 2 inches of snow ice.

Managed 1 small Laker and about a dozen perch.
Couldn't believe how deep the perch were!

Thanks

Found about the same at the narrows with similar success.  Wasn't marking much.  The ice did vary in spots.  Mostly what you described but found an area of about 2" black with 1" white and spots with almost a foot of water on the ice.  will have a lot of crappy ice after this week once it all buttons up.
westernmas on the finder

Offline WICTNY1712

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3198 on: Jan 31, 2024, 09:45 AM »
Fished just north of the narrows and the south end late last week. Fishing seemed more quiet than usual. I feel like the lack of ice on LG has really affected Schroon the last 2-3 years. A lot more pressure and tip up farms out on the ice than I remember and I feel like the fishing pressure is affecting how the fish are interacting. Just need to hone in on what they want I guess!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3199 on: Jan 31, 2024, 11:43 AM »
Typical reports for this time of year from this guys perspective.  Schroon was always a feast or famine fishery.  Pressure is way up. 

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3200 on: Jan 31, 2024, 04:39 PM »
Typical reports for this time of year from this guys perspective.  Schroon was always a feast or famine fishery.  Pressure is way up.

Schroon was always a tip up over a jigging produce to me.
LG was all video games

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3201 on: Jan 31, 2024, 05:45 PM »
Hot Tuna,
I couldn't agree more. I caught 12 perch out of one hole with a tip-up in it.
I was getting tired of setting and resetting tip ups for perch in 55 fow, so I tried jigging unsuccessfully no more than 5 feet away.
The flag kept going off all day so it kept me busy, and I am definitely not complaining about that.

Just thought it was strange.

Let your life proceed by its own designs
Nothing to tell now
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3202 on: Jan 31, 2024, 08:56 PM »
Tiny smelt.  If you are jigging a normal 3" plastic its too big for good numbers (90% of the time).  The lakers there do not like aggressive jigging most of the time it turns them off.  Lg lakers are a bit looser and eat larger.  Once I figured out the larger lake up north I found it difficult to want to hit lg and schroon aside from annual april fools trip on schroon. 

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3203 on: Feb 01, 2024, 08:53 AM »
Hot Tuna,
I couldn't agree more. I caught 12 perch out of one hole with a tip-up in it.
I was getting tired of setting and resetting tip ups for perch in 55 fow, so I tried jigging unsuccessfully no more than 5 feet away.
The flag kept going off all day so it kept me busy, and I am definitely not complaining about that.

Just thought it was strange.
I disagree with this, ppl aren’t fishing perch here they are fishing lakers. Jigging for lakers will out fish a Tipup and bait 9/10 and I rarely set bait in the water for them certain instances and places maybe yes but normally no don’t drill one hole all day near the fleet go get away from the crowds miles away with a jigging rod the right baits presentation etc and things will start to click

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3204 on: Feb 01, 2024, 09:38 AM »
I disagree with this, ppl aren’t fishing perch here they are fishing lakers. Jigging for lakers will out fish a Tipup and bait 9/10 and I rarely set bait in the water for them certain instances and places maybe yes but normally no don’t drill one hole all day near the fleet go get away from the crowds miles away with a jigging rod the right baits presentation etc and things will start to click

I'll chime in here. Most of the times I've heard of guys catching numbers of Lakers during an outing, they were jigging. I remember an outing at the Narrows with JAGER61 and WEC and a couple other guys we had 25 tipups in, caught 25 Lakers total, only one on tipups. I'm not saying you can't have good days with tipups. Back in the 90's we had a small group fishing a "secret" spot south end, and we caught 78 Lakers that day, maybe 5 or 6 of us. I remember the number because my buddy had his hard shanty down there, and would mark off each fish we caught every outing. That day stood out!!!  Thing about jigging, if you have a machine and can be mobile, and know the lake, you increase your odds.  I'm not anymore, so I stick with tipups and cooking venison sandwiches in our pop up!  A man has to know his limitations!
Tony

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3205 on: Feb 01, 2024, 11:31 AM »
Couple yeara ago Tony my best day there was 44 all on the jig.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3206 on: Feb 01, 2024, 02:24 PM »
I'll chime in here. Most of the times I've heard of guys catching numbers of Lakers during an outing, they were jigging. I remember an outing at the Narrows with JAGER61 and WEC and a couple other guys we had 25 tipups in, caught 25 Lakers total, only one on tipups. I'm not saying you can't have good days with tipups. Back in the 90's we had a small group fishing a "secret" spot south end, and we caught 78 Lakers that day, maybe 5 or 6 of us. I remember the number because my buddy had his hard shanty down there, and would mark off each fish we caught every outing. That day stood out!!!  Thing about jigging, if you have a machine and can be mobile, and know the lake, you increase your odds.  I'm not anymore, so I stick with tipups and cooking venison sandwiches in our pop up!  A man has to know his limitations!
Good input Tony I agree with this! Numbers aren’t out of reach if your in tuned with lake your gear and movements I did decent last weekend averaged 40 for two days and tbh I was telling a buddy it was ehh cuz that’s how I felt honestly, the two anglers you mentioned are very very top knotch fisherman as well! that always helps rolling with a serious crew

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3207 on: Feb 01, 2024, 02:25 PM »
And this isn’t to gloat everyone has different definitions of a good day 1-3 lakers can be a good day! I don’t want to discourage people more to educate n show what’s actually obtainable

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3208 on: Feb 01, 2024, 02:47 PM »
And this isn’t to gloat everyone has different definitions of a good day 1-3 lakers can be a good day! I don’t want to discourage people more to educate n show what’s actually obtainable

Agree. Plus I think the older you get your expectations change, becomes more about the experience than numbers, at least with me. If I can get a couple Lakers on the ice, even short ones, have a nice hot lunch, like this venison meatloaf sandwich, I'm a happy boy!

Tony

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3209 on: Feb 01, 2024, 04:12 PM »
That looks good Tony.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.