New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429617 times)

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #3120 on: Feb 17, 2023, 11:38 AM »
Thanks Tony words of the wise right there take what he says into consideration

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3121 on: Feb 17, 2023, 12:18 PM »
Here's a learning opportunity for some of you inexperienced guys out there that are just learning the sport.  Look at that ice, see the dark ribbon of what looks like an opened crack. Huge red flag.  Why anyone would go anywhere near that ON FOOT, let along with an 800lb wheeler plus a driver makes me shake my head. That crack has developed in that same spot for the last 2 years. I posted some great drone footage on this page last year of that crack.

Tony

Offline adirondack187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3122 on: Feb 17, 2023, 09:34 PM »
I'm a mile south of narrows and the edges were pretty messy .  Spots of 15 ft of water ,edge to ice this afternoon.    Very ,very sketchy.

Offline WICTNY1712

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3123 on: Feb 17, 2023, 09:45 PM »
Looks like tomorrow will be a look and see trip up to Schroon. Was really hoping for some Safe ice. Glad everyone is safe after going in today. Hoping tonight’s temps can work some magic.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3124 on: Feb 17, 2023, 09:52 PM »
Here's the drone pic from last year, page 102, of that crack that developed last year and again this year.

Tony

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3125 on: Feb 18, 2023, 09:11 AM »
Is that looking south or north?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3126 on: Feb 18, 2023, 09:57 AM »
Is that looking south or north?

North, last year
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3127 on: Feb 18, 2023, 10:04 AM »
After a windy night with temps in the single numbers, lake has buttoned up nicely. Alot of guys off Eagle Point, and north of Eagle point this morning, plus groups of guys off boat launch north end.  I did not see any machines out there however. Edges for the most point look good.
Tony

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3128 on: Feb 18, 2023, 12:17 PM »

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3129 on: Feb 18, 2023, 12:22 PM »
Does anyone has any info on loon lake? I can’t find any on the conditions page. Heading out Wednesday in search of fishable ice. I usually do my own homework, but I live in Watkins Glen. We haven’t had the cold temps like eastern ny has had. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3130 on: Feb 20, 2023, 02:21 PM »
Does anyone has any info on loon lake? I can’t find any on the conditions page. Heading out Wednesday in search of fishable ice. I usually do my own homework, but I live in Watkins Glen. We haven’t had the cold temps like eastern ny has had. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Also wondering how much ice if off of eagle point campground? I’d appreciate some help. I’m just trying to be safe with snow incoming.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #3131 on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:08 AM »
We fished eagle point yesterday morning.  Around 7”. Off the ice by 10:30.  No fish.

Loon Lake had people there n it. Was starting to get a vit wet on top.   Didn’t check how thick.

We were renting on Friends Lake.  That had aro 14”.  However, it is private.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3132 on: Feb 21, 2023, 10:05 AM »
Eagle has seen a ton of pressure.  Pattern changing amounts.  Yet people still stack there like cord wood.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #3133 on: Feb 21, 2023, 03:26 PM »
Eagle has seen a ton of pressure.  Pattern changing amounts.  Yet people still stack there like cord wood.

Yeah, similar to the way guys fish elbow to elbow on Harris Bay or Sawmill Bay on LG. After the first 2 weeks of safe ice and having all kinds of lures thrown at them, the bigger fish get really wary and become tight-lipped. Better to be on the ice at these places for just the first week of safe ice and then leave the sheeple behind for ice that has more solitude and biting fish beneath it. ;) :tipup: :icefish:
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3134 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:43 PM »
I don't think that's accurate.
This is my perspective of being there, on the lake this season and others.

4 weeks ago when the gate was closed some got on ice and fish then the networking started.
3 weeks ago a few more showed up to fish with buddies and told more networking buddies. 
2 weeks ago it was a shantytown of buddies.
All this mostly in a specific area.
I didn't bother last weekend because nobody knows the basics of even parking.

It's a big lake and no matter if you fish the north end of the lake to the south end,  pressure only comes from those that fish in a crowd. 
I prefer to avoid crowds and that's very possible everywhere on schroon lake, including eagle point

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3135 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:49 PM »
Eagle being packed is quite accurate but who cares.  Lg alone in the boat is most excellent.

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3136 on: Feb 25, 2023, 05:50 PM »
Interested in some advise. Coming up tomorrow from Saratoga. We fish schroon a fair bit but looking to change it up. We'd like to catch some decent eater perch.

I looked at eagle lake and brant lake. I've never fished eagle but from what I can tell the launch may be ok to walk out and get good water? Brant I've only fished a couple times off jimbos. I'd like to try the northern end but don't want to drag that far. I thought about bringing the snowmobile but I'd a little leary with the warm up and refreeze and now snow.

Opinions or suggestions are appreciated
Rob

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3137 on: Feb 26, 2023, 08:11 AM »
I wouldnt fish either lake for perch and would recommend going up, check some spots and see where you end up.  Agree with the machine unless you want to make a giant hole in the ice. 

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3138 on: Feb 26, 2023, 11:15 AM »
Just read that the Schroon Lake Ice Fishing Derby has been canceled.  First time ever, I believe.
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3139 on: Feb 26, 2023, 11:31 AM »
Interested in some advise. Coming up tomorrow from Saratoga. We fish schroon a fair bit but looking to change it up. We'd like to catch some decent eater perch.

I looked at eagle lake and brant lake. I've never fished eagle but from what I can tell the launch may be ok to walk out and get good water? Brant I've only fished a couple times off jimbos. I'd like to try the northern end but don't want to drag that far. I thought about bringing the snowmobile but I'd a little leary with the warm up and refreeze and now snow.

Opinions or suggestions are appreciated

I'd fish Paradox for perch before the other 2, and that's too bad because Schroon used to be phenomenal for large, clean perch, and lots of them.
Tony

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3140 on: Feb 26, 2023, 12:52 PM »
How long ago was that Tony?  Wonder what happened.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3141 on: Feb 26, 2023, 01:43 PM »
How long ago was that Tony?  Wonder what happened.
Back in the eighties and nineties.  There were groups of guys that were out there every day on all the various weed beds, morning and evening. Then the old timers died off and things stopped. When we tried to fish like that for the last 20 yrs, all you got was dinks.  You can still get some big ones on tipups, 16-17", but not many. Not sure what happened, but I think we have lost alot of our weed beds.  Last year there was a guy on the east shore that would go out on his boat and take videos with his underwater drone.  Really cool stuff, he'd post them on the SL Fb page.  I asked him to go to the south end off Adirondack to the sunken island.  It's a spot that is 12' and then a shear cliff to 120'. Used to be a great perch spot, lots of grass.  Well the next day he did, and when he posted it I was shocked. Looked like the surface of the moon, nothing but rock and sand. My personal opinion, that has happened throughout the lake.
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3142 on: Feb 26, 2023, 05:42 PM »
Tony

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3143 on: Feb 26, 2023, 05:55 PM »
Wow, glad I asked. Thanks Tony.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #3144 on: Feb 26, 2023, 06:28 PM »
Just read that the Schroon Lake Ice Fishing Derby has been canceled.  First time ever, I believe.

You can still get out there with your posse and have your own tournament, although the payouts might be smaller right ?  :'(
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3145 on: Feb 26, 2023, 06:35 PM »
You can still get out there with your posse and have your own tournament, although the payouts might be smaller right ?  :'(
Schroon Lake Bait (Ashley) is trying that.  They had alot of folks telling they would still come up if she organized it.   Thing is over 50 people you need insurance via DEC, from what I read.  Don't know if she has time. Big hit for the community, last big event til Memorial Day.
Tony

Offline Mjm1876

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3146 on: Mar 06, 2023, 01:10 PM »

Even though the derby was canceled it was a good if not difficult weekend of fishing with friends!  Thanks to Ricky for catching them and Wayne and Jayson for filleting and cooking them for all right on the ice!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3147 on: Mar 06, 2023, 01:57 PM »

Even though the derby was canceled it was a good if not difficult weekend of fishing with friends!  Thanks to Ricky for catching them and Wayne and Jayson for filleting and cooking them for all right on the ice!

Good stuff.  I tried for a couple hours on Sunday.  SLUSH is all I have to say.
westernmas on the finder

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3148 on: Mar 06, 2023, 07:57 PM »
Good stuff.  I tried for a couple hours on Sunday.  SLUSH is all I have to say.
Kudos to you for trying pat more man then me I stayed home for the first weekend of the season and sight fished carp  :( :(

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #3149 on: Mar 06, 2023, 08:25 PM »
If my son decided he was not interested I would have stayed home, but I went to Ticonderoga this past weekend and fished in the 15 inches of new snow ( some still falling ) on Saturday. Heart attack Jetsled dragging conditions but at least our boots stayed dry on Saturday. We fished the same spot on Sunday and the snow had turned into 8 inches of slush overnight that finally made our boots wet. We caught fish both days so the trip was worth it, and I sometimes need to find out that I can still do things that are uncomfortable but still worth it.  :clap: :thumbsup: :cookoo:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.