New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429617 times)

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #2880 on: Feb 01, 2021, 06:45 AM »
That’s a nice pile of crap right there

Offline sleibo22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2881 on: Feb 01, 2021, 09:07 AM »
Thanks for the information on the parking area. Ended up getting on Schroon Saturday morning for several hours. We went on in the usual spot by the Stewart Shop. That temperature tested the soul. Car said -11. Thankfully no wind and sunny, but still have a little frostbite on my fingertips. Not a single flag for over 2.5 hours then we had 7 flags in 45 minutes. Every flag as we approached the hole the reel was screaming! Bummed we only landed one, but made for a great morning. Lost 2 at the hole.

Offline adirondack187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2882 on: Feb 01, 2021, 10:00 AM »
I always spud since I have my son along and am instilling safety 1st.  It’s fine to walk straight out from the pay phone/ dock area. If you venture south from there, there’s the usual cracks where eventual heaves that make you think twice.  My jiffy chisel spud is “calibrated” in my brain that 2 whacks equals ~4”.  We fished on a solid 6” black and minimal snow cover with that cold last night and tonight should build another bit.  As far as the bite- wasn’t great but iced 7 Lakers in about 2 hours jigging only before they went neutral. Hope that helps.

7 jigged in 2 hrs is a fun day!  will keep your son coming back w you when you are old:) . i like instill safety , there is no fish worth a tragedy.  Thanks for ice update

Offline Laker518

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2883 on: Feb 01, 2021, 08:40 PM »
Anyone have much luck fishing later afternoon until a few hours after sunset?  Would like to try and go for some lake trout but wondering if I’m better off going for something else.  Any recommendations?

Offline adkice22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2884 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:52 AM »
I like fishing for pike and have had some decent success on smaller ponds but I was wondering how to locate pike in a bigger lake like Schroon this time of year.  I am not asking for spots.  I'm trying to learn if they stay in shallow water or if they move deeper as winter moves toward February.   Is it more like 15 fow or 20 or 30 fow.  I don't have a lot of experience ice fishing so any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #2885 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:05 PM »
Anybody get into the ciscos in Paradox? Lure, depth? Want to catch a few for pike bait when we come up this weekend. We only caught 1 in all the years going there.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2886 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:29 PM »
Anybody get into the ciscos in Paradox? Lure, depth? Want to catch a few for pike bait when we come up this weekend. We only caught 1 in all the years going there.

Have not heard anything about ciscos, but we have gotten into the smelt there this past week, about 6 dozen. Perch colored Hali and a spike, 35 fow on bottom.
Tony

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #2887 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:34 PM »
Have not heard anything about ciscos, but we have gotten into the smelt there this past week, about 6 dozen. Perch colored Hali and a spike, 35 fow on bottom.
Thank you!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline RicketyIceRigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2888 on: Feb 02, 2021, 09:22 PM »
Been fishing Schroon a few years now with my 11 year old son. Have been targeting Lakers with some spotty luck. My son is excited to catch anything. Just hard to keep his attention between hook sets. I’ve read on here in previous years that some have good luck with landing perch on Schroon. Other than in the summer, we’ve never run into any while on the ice. Anyone willing to share what they use for finding and hooking some perch. Looking to keep my son interested in the quest for tranquility and happiness of a little rod action during these crazy times. Much appreciated!

Offline Muskytracker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2889 on: Feb 04, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Ricketyicerigs PM sent

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2890 on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:19 AM »
I like fishing for pike and have had some decent success on smaller ponds but I was wondering how to locate pike in a bigger lake like Schroon this time of year.  I am not asking for spots.  I'm trying to learn if they stay in shallow water or if they move deeper as winter moves toward February.   Is it more like 15 fow or 20 or 30 fow.  I don't have a lot of experience ice fishing so any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Pike get caught occasionally all over the water column but you best odds for pike is always the same areas - 3-15 fow near weeds. Use Google Maps with satellite pics from summer to look for weed edges.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2891 on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:28 AM »
Fish the big drops on schroon.  I like shallow sets but not until the end of this month.  Big females are staging deep near spawning areas now.  They won't push shallow until they need to break up their egg mass pre spawn.  (It's why they go so shallow) their eggs are a giant clump stuck together until they rub their belly against structure to break them up.  So I'd be fishing 15-35 fow near spawning areas...specifically with dead bait.  Big females are preserving energy now for the spawn and are typically scavenging for dead baits this time of year.  Hope that helps a bit.  I'm not a huge fan of the generalization of setting shallow near weeds for big lake pike.  Especially this time of year.  Ask my buddy Ed.  He landed a 20lber in 40 fow there this year. Last year my buddy Brian jigged one on 45 fow. 

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2892 on: Feb 04, 2021, 09:34 AM »
Fish the big drops on schroon.  I like shallow sets but not until the end of this month.  Big females are staging deep near spawning areas now.  They won't push shallow until they need to break up their egg mass pre spawn.  (It's why they go so shallow) their eggs are a giant clump stuck together until they rub their belly against structure to break them up.  So I'd be fishing 15-35 fow near spawning areas...specifically with dead bait.  Big females are preserving energy now for the spawn and are typically scavenging for dead baits this time of year.  Hope that helps a bit.  I'm not a huge fan of the generalization of setting shallow near weeds for big lake pike.  Especially this time of year.  Ask my buddy Ed.  He landed a 20lber in 40 fow there this year. Last year my buddy Brian jigged one on 45 fow.

Very Cool! Thanks a lot for this info. I'm going up to schroon mid morning, tomorrow for the weekend. This should help a lot. Thanks again.

Offline S.Crawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2893 on: Feb 04, 2021, 09:47 AM »

Awesome info, thanks for sharing! I like learning the why behind things, like why the fish are deep or shallow, how spawning affects their activity, etc. Cheers!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2894 on: Feb 04, 2021, 10:06 AM »
Lots of studies you can Google on this.  Some of what I read said the females will look for dead fish that are decomposing already because they can metabolize then faster.  All this talk makes me want to get back into chasing pike but beating a 30lber seems rather impossible so I chase lakers.

Offline S.Crawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2895 on: Feb 04, 2021, 10:35 AM »
30lbs, sweet! And I like knowing the “why”...decomposing fish are easier to metabolize. Thanks again!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2896 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:28 AM »
Wasn't from schroon but it was a giant pre-spawn female.  Shallow set end of February.  4 fow on a dead sea herring.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2897 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:30 AM »

Spot on advice, I find this true in many lakes besides Schroon. 15-35 fow is where I look until late February or early March. Dead bait is also more prevalent as the season goes on due to lower oxygen levels, etc. 
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2898 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:50 AM »
Spot on advice, I find this true in many lakes besides Schroon. 15-35 fow is where I look until late February or early March. Dead bait is also more prevalent as the season goes on due to lower oxygen levels, etc.

I think we need to meet up and fish for some hogs.  It's been a while and nothing like a wide spread and a day of cooking red meat.

Offline Slowtroller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2899 on: Feb 04, 2021, 01:02 PM »
Is there any place to park to fish the narrows.. thanks!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2900 on: Feb 04, 2021, 01:29 PM »
I do agree Nate the shallows always get me my fish on schroon but might be only cuz I fish up shallow there 15-30 is a solid number for elsewhere late winter the big pike love to Suspend on rock just as much as they like weeds

Offline senko69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2901 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Anyone know if there are ATV's or snowmobiles out and about in southern end, like off Adirondack and Taylors Point area?  Ice thickness report? Thanks! 

Offline countryrebel127

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2902 on: Feb 04, 2021, 07:30 PM »
Looking for info on access points to the south end of schroon? Ive only ever gone off up by stewarts and off of fowler, not that i havent done good up there  id just like to try something different. thanks in advance

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2903 on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:43 PM »
Lots of studies you can Google on this.  Some of what I read said the females will look for dead fish that are decomposing already because they can metabolize then faster.  All this talk makes me want to get back into chasing pike but beating a 30lber seems rather impossible so I chase lakers.

Pic ASAP.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2904 on: Feb 04, 2021, 09:32 PM »
Looking for info on access points to the south end of schroon? Ive only ever gone off up by stewarts and off of fowler, not that i havent done good up there  id just like to try something different. thanks in advance
I sent you a pm

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2905 on: Feb 05, 2021, 02:02 PM »
Pic ASAP.

I posted that fish so many times here...go back and find it...it wasn't from schroon.  Posted a monster tiger too...3.5" shorter than the world record.

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2906 on: Feb 06, 2021, 12:14 PM »
Can anyone tell me how much snow is on the ice off of the town launch?  I’m heading up in the morning and want to bring the quad.
A bad day fishin still beats a good day at work!!

Offline adkice22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2907 on: Feb 06, 2021, 12:32 PM »
Flyfish413, IowaAccor66, NateNY -- thank you for sharing the info on locating pike -- greatly appreciated!

Offline WICTNY1712

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2908 on: Feb 06, 2021, 01:11 PM »
First timer looking to fish schroon tomorrow. Where is the best place to access by foot for laker territory?

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2909 on: Feb 06, 2021, 03:24 PM »
Behind the Stewart’s on the north end is the easiest. Fishing can be slow..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.