New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429614 times)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #2850 on: Jan 27, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Correct.  My fishing buddy went out off the boat launch today and caught a nice mess of smelt. Measured 11" ice.

Thank you both!  Appreciate the update.
westernmas on the finder

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2851 on: Jan 27, 2021, 03:47 PM »
Any chance anyone can let me know if parking is still available at the restaurant at the narrows..looking to get out this week possibly instead of the north end. Or if they normally keep that plowed? Thanks for any input or pms.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2852 on: Jan 27, 2021, 03:57 PM »
Any chance anyone can let me know if parking is still available at the restaurant at the narrows..looking to get out this week possibly instead of the north end. Or if they normally keep that plowed? Thanks for any input or pms.

Yes guys were parked there today
Tony

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2853 on: Jan 27, 2021, 04:04 PM »
I appreciate,it’s been a while. The north end certainly gets old..

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2854 on: Jan 27, 2021, 06:11 PM »
I appreciate,it’s been a while. The north end certainly gets old..

North end zzzz.  Yes they usually plow there. 

Offline sleibo22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2855 on: Jan 28, 2021, 12:35 PM »
What restaurant would that be? I usually park up north and planning to do that again on Saturday so just curious. Much appreciated. Would you know if Schroon has safe ice? Sounds like many were fishing last weekend and despite the snow and wind I think temps only helping past few days and into the weekend. Thanks so much for any information.

Offline Laker518

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2856 on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:24 PM »
Any thoughts on the upcoming forecast for Schroon this Saturday?  Had made plans to go up there early Saturday morning but now I’m seeing -7 temperatures.

I have the flipover but concerned it might be miserable getting out there.  Any of you guys going for it?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2857 on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:45 PM »
What restaurant would that be? I usually park up north and planning to do that again on Saturday so just curious. Much appreciated. Would you know if Schroon has safe ice? Sounds like many were fishing last weekend and despite the snow and wind I think temps only helping past few days and into the weekend. Thanks so much for any information.
Long brown building at the Narrows, been out of business for about 20yrs. They keep docks stacked in front. Been fishing the north basin for over 3 weeks. 11" of the launch as of yesterday.
Tony

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2858 on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:49 PM »
Any thoughts on the upcoming forecast for Schroon this Saturday?  Had made plans to go up there early Saturday morning but now I’m seeing -7 temperatures.

I have the flipover but concerned it might be miserable getting out there.  Any of you guys going for it?

I was having the same debate but different body of water. Then I reminded myself that I b!tch and moan when there’s no ice. Better to be dealing with the elements and fishing than it is to be in the couch

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2859 on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:53 PM »

Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2860 on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:58 PM »

Thing about the above local forecast is that the winds are supposed to die down Fri night, so weekend is looking cold but nice fishing conditions.
Tony

Offline Laker518

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2861 on: Jan 28, 2021, 03:10 PM »
Thing about the above local forecast is that the winds are supposed to die down Fri night, so weekend is looking cold but nice fishing conditions.

Appreciate it, that was my hope. I suppose I could always skip the morning and try to get out an hour or two before sunset once things warm up a bit. Do you find the mornings to be  more productive at Schroon?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2862 on: Jan 28, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Appreciate it, that was my hope. I suppose I could always skip the morning and try to get out an hour or two before sunset once things warm up a bit. Do you find the mornings to be  more productive at Schroon?
Over the years I have found if you are set up by 9 or so you're good. Seldom have very early flags, but you never know.
Tony

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2863 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:57 AM »
For those of you that fish there a lot. Did you get a bunch of snow this week? Had a few inches down by me. Curious if there will be a bunch of snow on the ice for tomorrow
Rob

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2864 on: Jan 29, 2021, 10:04 AM »
For those of you that fish there a lot. Did you get a bunch of snow this week? Had a few inches down by me. Curious if there will be a bunch of snow on the ice for tomorrow
4"
Tony

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2865 on: Jan 29, 2021, 10:51 AM »
Go fishing! You have a flip over what’s the debate the drag out will warm you up it is called ice fishing

Offline Laker518

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2866 on: Jan 29, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Go fishing! You have a flip over what’s the debate the drag out will warm you up it is called ice fishing

Lol, you’re not wrong. Last weekend was nasty with that wind. My tipups kept freezing in the matter of minutes. I’ll just keep the 1lb tanks warm and hope I can keep a jig bite going. Cheers!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2867 on: Jan 29, 2021, 01:14 PM »
Lol, you’re not wrong. Last weekend was nasty with that wind. My tipups kept freezing in the matter of minutes. I’ll just keep the 1lb tanks warm and hope I can keep a jig bite going. Cheers!
Even with hole covers my holes where freezing and if they wherent frozen yet the tip ups where blowing out of holes lol still had to fish regardless only two written days during the week ****censored word**** it I’m going! This weekend won’t be that bad no wind to speak of thankfully! It won’t feel as cold out there

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2868 on: Jan 29, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Supposed to be calm Sat. so it should be nice.  A buddy and I just made plans to jig smelt on Paradox tomorrow.
Tony

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2869 on: Jan 29, 2021, 02:09 PM »
Supposed to be calm Sat. so it should be nice.  A buddy and I just made plans to jig smelt on Paradox tomorrow.
Set a few laker sets if you get a couple to spare tony!

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2870 on: Jan 29, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Set a few laker sets if you get a couple to spare tony!

You never know  ;) ;) ;)
Tony

Offline Nick_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2871 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:30 PM »
Going up to schroon on sunday and thinking about fishing the narrows because its a quick walk out to deep water. With the cold I dont want to hike too far, anyway there should be enough ice in the narrows right?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2872 on: Jan 30, 2021, 09:16 AM »

Thursday the smelt were everywhere with the jumbo crappie. We couldn’t get away from them.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2873 on: Jan 30, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Thursday the smelt were everywhere with the jumbo crappie. We couldn’t get away from them.

Pictures or didn't happen.  Lmao

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2874 on: Jan 30, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Pictures or didn't happen.  Lmao

Pics of the crappie? Or the smelt? Didn’t take any of the smelt but I have some frozen for bait.

Offline H2OFOWLR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2875 on: Jan 30, 2021, 07:38 PM »
Going up to schroon on sunday and thinking about fishing the narrows because its a quick walk out to deep water. With the cold I dont want to hike too far, anyway there should be enough ice in the narrows right?

Fished south of the narrows today toward Taylor point and there was about 1” white slush ice over a solid 6” of black ice.  I’d imagine the narrows should be similar as it froze the same time. 

Offline adirondack187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2876 on: Jan 31, 2021, 04:09 PM »
How did you make out off Taylors point?   Did you feel the need to spud?

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2877 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:29 PM »
Pics of the crappie? Or the smelt? Didn’t take any of the smelt but I have some frozen for bait.
Well..

Offline H2OFOWLR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2878 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:38 PM »
How did you make out off Taylors point?   Did you feel the need to spud?

I always spud since I have my son along and am instilling safety 1st.  It’s fine to walk straight out from the pay phone/ dock area. If you venture south from there, there’s the usual cracks where eventual heaves that make you think twice.  My jiffy chisel spud is “calibrated” in my brain that 2 whacks equals ~4”.  We fished on a solid 6” black and minimal snow cover with that cold last night and tonight should build another bit.  As far as the bite- wasn’t great but iced 7 Lakers in about 2 hours jigging only before they went neutral. Hope that helps.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2879 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:59 PM »
Well..

First 4 in the snow are from Thursday. The outing you wanted to see. Others are from previous outings.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.