New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429614 times)

Offline Slowtroller

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #2790 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:13 AM »
Awesome thanks!

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2791 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:40 AM »
Late this morning.

Tony

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2792 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:18 AM »
So I'm out here fishing now... the ice is wicked marginal and imagine my surprise when I read this....

I'm all for local businesses making money but you gotta be high to say there's 4 inches out here. 

I just want to warn others that this post on FB is highly inaccurate....obviousl y they care about selling bait more than people's well being.  I'm on 2.5 -3 max and it's trashy weak ice.

Use common sense and a spud...

Jeez, they're making money off you... you should try to get a cut 😏

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2793 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:26 AM »
I just want people to be safe.  This lake is dangerous early ice, always is.
I hear that. I was fishing on some very marginal ice a few days ago. About 30 minutes in some dingbat comes walking out toward me... no cleats, no chisel, or any fishing gear... right across a crappy spot. Told him to stay the F away from me because I didn't feel like falling in. Apparently he just wanted to see what I was catching 🙄

On his way back off he put a foot though up to about his calf right by the bank. 😂

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2794 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:33 AM »
Funny how money can make the truth bend.  I have had similar experiences and it always makes me consider being out there.  I don't want to see someone go in even if it's from their poor assumptions.  I know I would try to help and that's risky...
I was only sitting on about 3' of water 40 feet from the bank, but it still wouldn't have been a fun time if he had put us through. I packed it in shortly after that to avoid a repeat situation... wasn't catching much anyway.

Offline fisherbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2795 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:00 PM »
Low appreciate your report!  You are always on the mark and are just as valuable as driving up to check it out myself!  Appreciate the report and pic!

Bone

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2796 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:13 PM »
So I'm out here fishing now... the ice is wicked marginal and imagine my surprise when I read this....

I'm all for local businesses making money but you gotta be high to say there's 4 inches out here. 

I just want to warn others that this post on FB is highly inaccurate....obviousl y they care about selling bait more than people's well being.  I'm on 2.5 -3 max and it's trashy weak ice.

Use common sense and a spud...

Here's and honest ice assessment:

4"???

Yeah I'd give that another week.  Not into getting wet. Surprised there are that many guys out there, I saw 4 groups, but I know they are anxious to get out and fish. Besides, Pitkins has a lovely little fish dinner on special this weekend! ;)

Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2797 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:38 PM »
I agree Tony.  For the casual angler I think that's a really solid bet.  I'm not trying to stop anyone from going but figured an accurate and real update on what exists would help a few folks decide what they want to do this weekend.

That looks great Tony.  Did Sticks n Stones open again?  Last I was there they had closed temporarily.  I was looking forward to a hot meal and a beer....

Agree 100%   That being said, how's the fishin'!   Sticks and Stones still closed, someone there got Covid is what I heard. Flannigans closed as well till spring.
Tony

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2798 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:59 PM »
Kudos to you for reporting real facts  :clap: :clap:
I live back in the woods you see

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2799 on: Jan 08, 2021, 01:16 PM »
Thats too bad we had gone to Flannigans after sticks n stones.  The fishing is typical north end fishing.  Slow.

Pitkins now sell craft beer and wine.
Tony

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2800 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02:34 PM »
I was up there scouting last Thursday afternoon and I could have launched my boat at that north launch and ran the entire lake at 75. Yeah... so  the ice that is there is only a few days old at best. People can be oblivious. It’s down right amazing how many clueless people don’t go swimming. I saw a father pushing his 2 young kids in a 3 wheeled stroller today walking on round lake... are you kidding me. Last week there was 1” out there.

I’m amazed that schroon lake tackle false advertised. That’s baaaad.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2801 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:28 PM »
Got that right I was out early last year and guys where going thru, your more experienced then most everyone needs to spud spud spud

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #2802 on: Jan 09, 2021, 07:24 AM »

Well said Jon.

You know who I was out there with yesterday. We were talking on the drag in about how the ice really isn't that good and the weekend was gonna be a circus.

Everyone be careful. The ice is not the best quality, bring a spud and use it....alot!!

I spud every other step all the way out to my spot.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2803 on: Jan 10, 2021, 04:53 PM »
Fished Eaton this weekend. Ice was fairly thick (5-7) but poor quality. I hit some areas where there was 4 inches of junk ice, an inch of water, then 2 inches of black ice. Broke through the top layer but stayed topside. No flags, no marks. About 15 groups out there and didn’t see/hear anyone land a fish.

Moved up to Raquette Pond on Tupper. 6-8 inches there. Saw some guys on the south end of the main lake but didn’t check it out. dropped some large suckers for pike but the skunk continued.

Offline adirondack187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2804 on: Jan 10, 2021, 08:29 PM »
Is there any ice at all on the Narrows ?   even a skim coat

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2805 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:06 PM »
As of Sat, no, just the edges.  Did not pass by today.
Tony

Offline adirondack187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2806 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:17 PM »
Ugh.   Was hoping at a shot there next weekend
Thank you for the response !  Be safe

Offline Nick_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2807 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:56 PM »
Weather next week in Schroon is nothing special, but it's still below freezing with relatively low amounts of wind. Do you guys think it would be possible for it to be 4-6 inches by this weekend?

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #2808 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:40 AM »
Is there any ice at all on the Narrows ?   even a skim coat

On Friday when I left, I swung by the narrows, it was open

Barely any ice on the edges heading north, wide open south
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2809 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:50 AM »
Monday afternoon  everything I could see from Rt 9 was skimmed overnarrows south.
Tony

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2810 on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:46 AM »
Monday afternoon  everything I could see from Rt 9 was skimmed overnarrows south.
Hopefully she doesn’t blow open that end this week

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2811 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:03 AM »

Drove down to the Narrows this morning, large areas opened up from Narrows south to Adirondack
Tony

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #2812 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:41 AM »

Drove down to the Narrows this morning, large areas opened up from Narrows south to Adirondack

Looks alot better than when I was there friday

Offline Adkdavis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2813 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:07 PM »
Weather next week in Schroon is nothing special, but it's still below freezing with relatively low amounts of wind. Do you guys think it would be possible for it to be 4-6 inches by this weekend?

I’m new to this but learned this about ice making recently.

Freezing degree days (FDD) are the average number of degrees below freezing over 24 hours. For example is the average temperature over a day is 17 degrees that day had fifteen FDDs.  An ice sheet will, in theory, grow at a rate of roughly one inch per fifteen FDDs starting from ice between 1/2" and 3" thick (as the ice gets thicker the growth rate decreases as a result of the thermal resistance of the thicker ice).  This is based on there being a bit of wind, a reasonably clear sky and no snow/frost on the ice.  If there is no wind or there are cloudy skies,  the ice growth may be considerably slower.

For example, starting from 2" ice, if the maximum temperature yesterday was 22 degrees and the minimum overnight was 12 degrees the average is 17 deg giving 15 FDDs for the 24 hour period.  This method assumes a typical amount of cloudiness and day-night temperature profile.  The ice should be about an inch thicker than yesterday.

Thought it was interesting.

Offline biggmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2814 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:33 AM »
Heading up Sunday morning for first trip this season hope the weather is good to us

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2815 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:03 AM »
Heading up Sunday morning for first trip this season hope the weather is good to us
forecast is for up to 8in of snow Saturday that's going to cover any bad spots on the ice be very careful on Sunday if you do fish
Go big or go home

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #2816 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:09 PM »
forecast is for up to 8in of snow Saturday that's going to cover any bad spots on the ice be very careful on Sunday if you do fish

100% correct, anytime snow covers ice especially with the funky weather we have had to this point. Use your head and if you do venture out, use a spud and have a plan.

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2817 on: Jan 15, 2021, 11:18 AM »
Does anyone know if it’s true that they posted the Fowler Road access from the main road right down to the lake?

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2818 on: Jan 15, 2021, 11:19 AM »
Does anyone know if it’s true that they posted the Fowler Road access from the main road right down to the lake?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2819 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:24 PM »
Ed is burnt, I suspect someone pre-gamed for his flight and forgot it snows in winter.

I'm all for caution but come on guys if we need to throw disclaimers because it's going to snow in winter, on ice...then there's a bigger issue lmao.

No, that is a legal town of Schroon right of way. The owners on both sides have their property heavily posted because the land has been getting trashed in recent years.
Tony

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.