New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429617 times)

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #2670 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:53 AM »
We gaffed a 42 " pike once on ice  in Essex county.  It was an awesome day.
There are good populations in many larger bodies of water that's totally underutilized.  To harvest and consume a fish is sportsmanship.  To kill a fish just for the purpose of skin mounts is more self serving.  If you are a c&r fisher more power but it's a game harvest sport.

Bow fishing carp is gross too

I agree 100% besides the bowfishing part. It been proven over and over how much common carp can effect the ecosystems in a negative way especially when left unchecked. While we don't personally eat them we do give a few to guys that do enjoy eating them and the rest are always found a use for be it on a farm for compost, bait for trapping, given them to raptor rehabilitation centers or 100 other uses. Renewable resource that actually hurts the ecosystem if not utilized.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #2671 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:48 AM »
With how nice replica mounts are today. A couple pictures and a measurement of girth, the taxidermists can make you a practical spitting image of that fish. A 40" northern is at least 12-15 yrs old, wouldn't feel right keeping it personally. Especially if you were to eat it, those large fish have years of toxins built up in them and the meat is much tougher imo. To each their own though, as long as you arent wasting the fish and are within your limits, i try not to complain.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2672 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:21 PM »
My wife would never allow an animal or fish to hang inside our living quarters.  I'm cool with that.  What she will allow is foods on our table and some pictures to hang selectively as memories.

I'd eat a 12 year old large pike over wasting a 5 year old less meat harvest one. If your worried about all the toxins a 5 year older fish has , then just look at where your supermarket foods are coming from .
Its not like people are going out to over harvest large pike except for bragging rights , in general.
Not to say hammer handles need conservation control either.   It's all revenant.
First time I've ever heard of a meat from a fish being tough.  Hopefully the flakes or cakes aren't to chewy..lol

Bow hunting a fish is kinda strange to me. I've seen piles of carp just killed and dumped for the purpose of a so called sport. 
Carp can live up to 40 years.  They are actually beneficial in an ecosystem but yes, they also over populate with their long lifespan if not controlled. 
Is there a harvest solution,  I don't know  but as table fare they are not very viable.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2673 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:40 PM »
With how nice replica mounts are today. A couple pictures and a measurement of girth, the taxidermists can make you a practical spitting image of that fish. A 40" northern is at least 12-15 yrs old, wouldn't feel right keeping it personally. Especially if you were to eat it, those large fish have years of toxins built up in them and the meat is much tougher imo. To each their own though, as long as you arent wasting the fish and are within your limits, i try not to complain.

Agreed... what’s also nice about replicas, is at any given day if I have a change of heart, I can get one of the 11 pike over 40” I have caught in the last 7 years.... or I could get them all, as each fish has a story in its own. I have yet to actually get a replica made of the one I really want a replica of, in fear I drop $1k on a mount and while it’s being made, I land a bigger one. Trying to get to that 25lb+ range to really seal the deal. Although my 22lb I really should get done anyways because of the story in itself with that fish, and the build/ colors. Most beautiful fish I have ever seen.

I gotta be honest, it feels just as good to catch trophy’s like that, handle them for a minute, then release them and watch them swim away.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #2674 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:02 AM »
Tuna - Tough might be wrong word, but i have noticed a different in taste/texture whenever i've had the opportunity to eat a larger fish, compared to smaller ones that i have harvested. Granted, ive only tasted a big pike once or twice so the sample size isn't significant by any means, and the cooking technique is always a variable. I dont mind fileting two smaller fish as none of it goes to waste for me. I use all the fish guts as fertilizer for the garden. I am an LG perchers best friend, as i have no issue taking home a limit of those overpopulated <7" fish  :roflmao:

(My tomatoes love perch and my neighbors rhubarb, one of the largest i've seen, is powered by pickerel ;D)

As for the toxins comment, it was in reference to biomagnification, which is the accumulation of toxins as you move up the food chain. No argument there with toxins and unnatural crap being added into the meat from the grocery store, i just try to be conscious of it in both situations.

Agreed... what’s also nice about replicas, is at any given day if I have a change of heart, I can get one of the 11 pike over 40” I have caught in the last 7 years.... or I could get them all, as each fish has a story in its own. I have yet to actually get a replica made of the one I really want a replica of, in fear I drop $1k on a mount and while it’s being made, I land a bigger one. Trying to get to that 25lb+ range to really seal the deal. Although my 22lb I really should get done anyways because of the story in itself with that fish, and the build/ colors. Most beautiful fish I have ever seen.

I gotta be honest, it feels just as good to catch trophy’s like that, handle them for a minute, then release them and watch them swim away.

Sounds like you know exactly how to get yourself that 25+lber. Get that mount started and the reverse jinx will be off and running. I feel like that's always how situations like that work out haha

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2675 on: Feb 17, 2020, 07:10 AM »
A bunch of traps out and 3 guys jigging at narrows yesterday. Not 1 flag , not 1 bite nor did I see anyone of the few others out do anything.
Schroon has not treated us well this season.  2 skunks in last 2 outings. 
I'm  basically throwing in the towel there for the season and no more 2 hr road trips for ice.
Hopefully I can get on my local panfish lake today.  If not,  my season is over and time to move on.
Yeah I know there is still plenty ice to fish in other areas but so far this season and weather has been a huge disappointment for me, someone that usually fishes 2 days a week plus,  20 weeks a season.
Lake George is not on my radar right now.

Good luck to all that venture out

Offline Andrushkin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2676 on: Feb 17, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Tough weekend to fish for sure.

Plan was to fish all weekend but ending up fishing only Saturday. Set up in 40fow and marked fish between 30 and 35fow. Did not want anything that I had to offer so ended up
with one 21 on a jig and one 18 on a tip up with occasional perch here and there. Was to cold to move around much.

On a side note lots of snowmobiles out and great thanks to the one who run over my tip up. I know its extremely hard to see a heritage sticking out. Thanks because that's the one that caught a laker. Don't ask how, that's beyond me.

Back on Saturday.

Andre

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2677 on: Feb 17, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Brook Trout I caught yesterday on schroon in 4 feet of water on pike rig must of came in From River. Was Surprised when I pulled it up great day !!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2678 on: Feb 17, 2020, 06:15 PM »
A bunch of traps out and 3 guys jigging at narrows yesterday. Not 1 flag , not 1 bite nor did I see anyone of the few others out do anything.
Schroon has not treated us well this season.  2 skunks in last 2 outings. 
I'm  basically throwing in the towel there for the season and no more 2 hr road trips for ice.
Hopefully I can get on my local panfish lake today.  If not,  my season is over and time to move on.
Yeah I know there is still plenty ice to fish in other areas but so far this season and weather has been a huge disappointment for me, someone that usually fishes 2 days a week plus,  20 weeks a season.
Lake George is not on my radar right now.

Good luck to all that venture out

I’ve been told your panfish lake is good. The good waters on George are now fishable and by this weekend there should be a solid six inches in most spots.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2679 on: Feb 17, 2020, 06:38 PM »
I was there today.  Big side good,  small side shoreline shot.
Fish didn't want to play. 
This season is a bust for me.
Time to turn off the news and build a garden

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2680 on: Feb 17, 2020, 06:55 PM »
I was there today.  Big side good,  small side shoreline shot.
Fish didn't want to play. 
This season is a bust for me.
Time to turn off the news and build a garden

Come to Lake George with me. We can get away from the crowds now and we’ll get fish. Just finished 2 days and landed a few😎

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2681 on: Feb 17, 2020, 07:20 PM »
Thanks brother but not really interested in oil cans eventhough they are fun to play with.  I'll see what happens here on the perch bite this weekend then pack up my gear for another season.
Lots happening in the months ahead .
We have a garden to prepare,  livestock coming and a tour of 5 states, 5 shows in 8 days with Lukas Nelson and promise of the real ahead before stripers

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2682 on: Feb 17, 2020, 07:32 PM »
Thanks brother but not really interested in oil cans eventhough they are fun to play with.  I'll see what happens here on the perch bite this weekend then pack up my gear for another season.
Lots happening in the months ahead .
We have a garden to prepare,  livestock coming and a tour of 5 states, 5 shows in 8 days with Lukas Nelson and promise of the real ahead before stripers

Plenty of perch in George

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2683 on: Feb 17, 2020, 07:55 PM »
True but they are also here 15 minutes from my house without pressure. I'm pretty sure ship of fools would attest that fact.
Lake George is for the tourists.

More Lukas Nelson and POTR,  he's actually fished this lake and caught rock bass . Can't you tell from the red eyes,  lol

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2684 on: Feb 18, 2020, 04:42 AM »
True but they are also here 15 minutes from my house without pressure. I'm pretty sure ship of fools would attest that fact.

I love that place .....  but there's something about a fat 26 inch lake trout bulldogging it's way down to the bottom that has me catching and releasing lakers instead  ;D

I almost kept one yesterday .... first one flopped back in the hole after I unhooked it and I had the knife out ready to bleed the second one and changed my mind and let it go.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2685 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:18 AM »
Was out on Schroon Monday, was a real challenge with a quad.  About 12" snow, with water and slush underneath. Measured 14" ice, 3" of that was white snow ice, rest was black ice, but it did drill unusually easily, so I found that weird.  Didn't make it to my preferred Laker spot, so we went to a spot where I used to keep my hard shanty years ago.  Always a good spot for Lakers and big jack perch.  No Lakers, but we did manage a number of big, fat 14" perch.  Snowmobiles are definitely the way to go right now.
Tony

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2686 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:31 AM »
Was out on Schroon Monday, was a real challenge with a quad.  About 12" snow, with water and slush underneath. Measured 14" ice, 3" of that was white snow ice, rest was black ice, but it did drill unusually easily, so I found that weird.  Didn't make it to my preferred Laker spot, so we went to a spot where I used to keep my hard shanty years ago.  Always a good spot for Lakers and big jack perch.  No Lakers, but we did manage a number of big, fat 14" perch.  Snowmobiles are definitely the way to go right now.

Huh ?
We were out Sunday at narrows with about 4" really compressed packed snow on the lake.  There was frozen slush underneath.  We walked all the way across and to the north . Walking was easy and an ATV would have been simple

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2687 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:43 AM »
Huh ?
We were out Sunday at narrows with about 4" really compressed packed snow on the lake.  There was frozen slush underneath.  We walked all the way across and to the north . Walking was easy and an ATV would have been simple
We went out in town at the launch and headed south.  The snowmobile roads were ok, but it was a chore when you hit a slush pocket, even for my 750.  Untouched snow had water underneath, tuff going on a quad and on foot.  Came home pretty sore, was popping advil,s like they were skittles!!!  :wacko:
Tony

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2688 on: Feb 18, 2020, 11:30 AM »
Took my son out on Monday for his first time ice fishing Schroon.
we fished the Narrows. Managed 2 lakers .  One was a decent size.

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2689 on: Feb 18, 2020, 01:16 PM »
We fished Sunday and went off the town launch as well. I can vouch for the 12” of slush. 2 snowmobiled and a quad and the quad barely got through. Walking around was like tying 10 lb sand bags on your feet. Did manage 4 fish and 2 keepers, one on tip up and first one on my new jaw Jacker. That was cool 😎

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2690 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:03 AM »
This made it worth Monday's effort.

Tony

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2691 on: Feb 20, 2020, 01:23 PM »
This made it worth Monday's effort.

Looks good Tony.

Offline BALLSTHATCLANK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2692 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:43 AM »
How is traveling on the lake with a wheeler after the cold snap last week? Looking to get my first run of the year in with my son and grandson next Saturday. I have a real hard time moving (bad hip) but my doc gave me some meds that have done wonders and I need to take advantage of it. Thanks for any updates in advance! Tight lines to all!

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2693 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:48 AM »
ice travel sucked last week alot of slush for a quad if u have a snowmobile youll be fine

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2694 on: Feb 24, 2020, 02:43 PM »
How is traveling on the lake with a wheeler after the cold snap last week? Looking to get my first run of the year in with my son and grandson next Saturday. I have a real hard time moving (bad hip) but my doc gave me some meds that have done wonders and I need to take advantage of it. Thanks for any updates in advance! Tight lines to all!
Hey good luck with that hip, had both of mine replaced last year this time so I know how restrictive it can be.  Was out there today with my quad, best going in several weeks, traveled about a mile from the state launch in Schroon, never broke through once, even with the warmer conditions this afternoon.  Deep snow has really settled, walked on top almost everywhere.  Snowmobile roads were hard as a rock as well.  17" ice where we fished, 10" black ice, 7" white ice.  Nobody was on the lake today.
Tony

Offline BALLSTHATCLANK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2695 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:08 AM »
Sounds good! Looking forward to getting out! Should have a new hip for next year so I can hit it early and more often! I really appreciate the update! We will post photos. We catch and release to keep the population strong! Can't wait for my 5 year old grandson to hand line a laker in!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2696 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:58 AM »
Schroon derby March 7 anyone fishing?!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2697 on: Feb 26, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Sounds good! Looking forward to getting out! Should have a new hip for next year so I can hit it early and more often! I really appreciate the update! We will post photos. We catch and release to keep the population strong! Can't wait for my 5 year old grandson to hand line a laker in!

New hip is a life changer.  You will be a totally new man in less than a couple of months.  Don't let them tell you they won't do it.  I got a second opinion in Boston and I had a new hip in short order and I'm back to living my life in almost zero pain.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2698 on: Feb 26, 2020, 11:52 AM »
New hip is a life changer.  You will be a totally new man in less than a couple of months.  Don't let them tell you they won't do it.  I got a second opinion in Boston and I had a new hip in short order and I'm back to living my life in almost zero pain.
Truth, I had mine done 4 weeks apart at Albany Med using the newer frontal entrance, quick recovery, I was shed hunting 2 weeks after my second hip done and this fall deer hunting these mountains I got back to places I had not been to in twenty years!  Absolutely no hindrances ice fishing this winter.  As for the derby, yeah I'll be out there.
Tony

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2699 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:25 AM »
Truth, I had mine done 4 weeks apart at Albany Med using the newer frontal entrance, quick recovery, I was shed hunting 2 weeks after my second hip done and this fall deer hunting these mountains I got back to places I had not been to in twenty years!  Absolutely no hindrances ice fishing this winter.  As for the derby, yeah I'll be out there.

That’s funny you say that, they told my dad he couldn’t get a hip because of a car accident when he was younger and he found a doc who said it was a go, similar great results.  Glad he got the second opinion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.