New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429607 times)

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #2550 on: Jan 25, 2020, 04:41 PM »
Looking for any free advice anyone can offer. I have a ten year old son who found his passion for cast fishing 4 or 5 years ago. Because of that, 3 or so years ago we decided to make it a four season hobby. Thus, we tried our luck ice fishing Schroon with little to know luck. Lets just say the little luck was because of the wind. Last year we started to get serious about jigging and did break down and buy a sonar machine. So by the end of the season we did wind up landing two small lakers. We have a camp near Schroon, so it is our go to location. Before my son gets anymore discouraged, I am looking for any advice on what to invest in for jigging lakers or perch. Last year, the two we landed were on a white 1/8 oz jigging head and 3" Gulp Smelt. May of just been luck, because we are not getting squat this year. Marking something down there. Just cant get anything to bite. Any advice on what to try or an improved technique would be much appreciated.

This is what i was using, it was a powerbait minnow, 3/8 minnow jig.  Just so happened to take a couple picks of the lure today, caught 7, left once the rain picked up.

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2551 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:05 PM »
I caught all 7 in 26ft, tried 63, and 45, went back to 26.  Some tips are jig it off the bottom, let it hit the bottom, up and down 5-10 times, real it up about 5 ft and just easily wiggle for a bit watching sonar.  Repeat.  If one comes in, take it away, make him chase it, they will chase it all the way to the top.  Doesn't hit, let it free fall, they will hit it on the drop, you can literally go from top to bottom on your freefall, watching the fish chase it the entire way to the bottom.  They will also pick it up off the bottom, but the hungry ones will chase aggressively.  Hope this helps to put you and your son on some lake trout, at schroon or anywhere there is lake trout!!! Same game.

Offline RicketyIceRigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2552 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:43 PM »
I appreciate the info guys. Makes me feel better that we are not far off from doing things right. From what I am seeing and reading, we might need some heavier jigs though. We did have some chasing today, but thought they might be perch or something. they just wouldn't hit. Maybe we gave up to soon and should of let them chase all the way up to the ice.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #2553 on: Jan 25, 2020, 11:02 PM »
Always stayed at the leaf also. 
Not familiar with how that works. 
Good,  bad or indifferent  ?
Do you really need to do research and recommendation from actual live people or is the network pretty accurate  ?

We have used them for hunting and ice fishing, Air BnB.  Love them, very economical if a bunch of guys go in and split the cost.  I haven’t seen many winter rentals though for the winter on schroon , most are warm weather rentals.  I know they have some on Oneida though for winter, and up towards Tupper and Colby. 

We use the leaf for schroon ,  just booked 2 nights this past week and we grill outside, nice owner. 

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2554 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:32 AM »
Never set an alarm, just getting set up near the launch. Off to a great start let's gooooo

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2555 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:57 AM »

Only fished until noon before the rain yesterday. Managed to get a nice salmon and perch. Lakers were looking but not biting

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2556 on: Jan 26, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Always stayed at the leaf also. 
Not familiar with how that works. 
Good,  bad or indifferent  ?
Do you really need to do research and recommendation from actual live people or is the network pretty accurate  ?

Its pretty accurate RJ.  This one is right next to the general store to the left.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2557 on: Jan 26, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Thanks.  Since its spring like and things are shot on my lake.  Figured I'd cut some free roadside wood.  4 loads today.
Next weekend I'm just gonna truck on u to shroom lake.

I always do a vacation presidents week just for shroom and lake George so thanks for the info.

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2558 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:43 PM »
How’s ice looking on schroon? I fish out the town of Adirondack if that helps

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2559 on: Jan 27, 2020, 05:40 AM »
How’s ice looking on schroon? I fish out the town of Adirondack if that helps
narrows and north end have 9-10
was out of Adirondack yesterday stuck closeish to sure and had plenty of ice didn't measure but 6-7 or so inches maybe 8 in places guys with sleds and wheelers all over, guys just flying over that big section of open water we had couple weeks ago between narrows and south basin with no care in world

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #2560 on: Jan 27, 2020, 09:08 AM »
narrows and north end have 9-10
 guys just flying over that big section of open water we had couple weeks ago between narrows and south basin with no care in world

As long as they don't stop they're good lol

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2561 on: Jan 27, 2020, 11:13 AM »
Thanks.  Since its spring like and things are shot on my lake.  Figured I'd cut some free roadside wood.  4 loads today.
Next weekend I'm just gonna truck on u to shroom lake.

I always do a vacation presidents week just for shroom and lake George so thanks for the info.

I can send you a link.  I was offered a free night on my next booking for having stayed twice. 

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2562 on: Jan 27, 2020, 12:16 PM »
any pike being caught in the narrows

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2563 on: Jan 28, 2020, 11:36 AM »
Really slow few days on the north end but stuck my PB laker off the island yesterday. 27" to the tip of the tail. Watched it on the sonar come in behind a school of smelt and hammered my lure. 25ft down over 80 fow, white rattle bait on a trout rod with 5lb braid

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2564 on: Jan 28, 2020, 11:41 AM »
Beautiful fish! I was right there on Saturday. Slow day for sure. Glad to see the slowness was worth it! Had to be a fun fight.
Rob

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2565 on: Jan 28, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Really slow few days on the north end but stuck my PB laker off the island yesterday. 27" to the tip of the tail. Watched it on the sonar come in behind a school of smelt and hammered my lure. 25ft down over 80 fow, white rattle bait on a trout rod with 5lb braid

Thats a good one!  I got one of similar size and stature last year.  Sorry we didnt get a chance to meet up, I got sick and left town early Sunday.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2566 on: Jan 28, 2020, 02:33 PM »

Awesome fish bud!!! fished this weekend also glad another big fish chewed had a 29” 8.4# on digital on the south end Sunday also 11 trout iced in two days between 3 guys one guy only iced one short.... slower then we hope for but atleast some fish where iced

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2567 on: Jan 28, 2020, 05:57 PM »
How many inches of ice did you have on the south end? Wanted to bring my sled up this week out of the south end, thanks

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2568 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:41 PM »
How many inches of ice did you have on the south end? Wanted to bring my sled up this week out of the south end, thanks
didn't measure and won't give out ice thickness or snow totals on here anymore learned fast lol, will say that few guys out with sled and wheelers this weekend thickness varied a little I didn't fish too far out and all machines I noticed stuck closer to shorelines you should have no problems

Offline MuskieMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2569 on: Jan 29, 2020, 05:10 AM »
Anybody know ice thickness in middle of Lake, between Clarks Island and Grove Point ?

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2570 on: Jan 29, 2020, 05:29 AM »
8-10 solid ice was out the other day w the quad

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2571 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:47 AM »
Anybody know ice thickness in middle of Lake, between Clarks Island and Grove Point ?
Lots of ice there and even more people, catch em up

Offline bwlin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2572 on: Jan 29, 2020, 08:45 AM »
Heading up tmw i normally fish northend of lake thinking of hitting narrows where is place to park so walk isnt that bad thanks

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2573 on: Jan 29, 2020, 08:50 AM »
First time after the Lakers this year and it didnt dissapoint!

AM

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #2574 on: Jan 29, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Damn beautiful fish : :clap:

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2575 on: Jan 29, 2020, 10:48 AM »
Sweet pic, some teeth on those critters

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #2576 on: Jan 29, 2020, 11:38 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice fish and great shots!
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2577 on: Jan 29, 2020, 12:20 PM »
westernmas on the finder

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2578 on: Jan 29, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Congrats!, you get dimensions of the beast?

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2579 on: Jan 29, 2020, 03:38 PM »
Thats a good one!  I got one of similar size and stature last year.  Sorry we didnt get a chance to meet up, I got sick and left town early Sunday.

Yeah, pretty stoked about that one! Bummer man, hope the trip didn't get cut too short!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.