New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429708 times)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #2430 on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:53 AM »
Pretty sure we were in same place,  same time.
Chasing wabbits myself tomorrow and flags on smaller northern waters Sunday in Essexco. .
I'm not scared of ice,  I'm much older now.

Stay safe folks so the other half don't just junk all our valuable equipment 😂

Was that last year?   If so we were there - got out early and clearly saw open water so we walked a ways north to avoid it and then back south and he just walked straight out. I had just set up and heard him scream help and by the time I popped the shanty up and stood up he was out and walking towards shore.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2431 on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Pretty sure it was.  When that nasty hole was right in front of where we were getting on.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2432 on: Jan 04, 2020, 09:31 AM »

Was that last year?   If so we were there - got out early and clearly saw open water so we walked a ways north to avoid it and then back south and he just walked straight out. I had just set up and heard him scream help and by the time I popped the shanty up and stood up he was out and walking towards shore.

Year before last.  Those guys coming down the hill seen you guys over across the lake and were determined to get there, even if it meant walking right into the open water,  lol.

This weather sucks.. not even good for wabbits.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2433 on: Jan 04, 2020, 10:28 AM »
Be really careful out there guys, me and a buddy attempted to fish Eagle Lake this morning, but chose to go home.  6" ice, but only 1 was black ice, the rest was soft slush ice that flexed with each step. Ice conditions have deteriorated rapidly this week.
Tony

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2434 on: Jan 04, 2020, 11:42 AM »
Year before last.  Those guys coming down the hill seen you guys over across the lake and were determined to get there, even if it meant walking right into the open water,  lol.

This weather sucks.. not even good for wabbits.

I've been out twice for pike with zero fish and one flag and I'm not too excited about the lakes I can fish so I'm working. Hopefully it doesn't rain the entire month of May again  ::)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2435 on: Jan 04, 2020, 12:53 PM »
I've been out twice for pike with zero fish and one flag and I'm not too excited about the lakes I can fish so I'm working. Hopefully it doesn't rain the entire month of May again  ::)

Been out 4 times so far all for warm water species.  Slammed the pike,  tough going on pannies but all quality.
Playing with my gear today struggling with a stomach virus.
Plan on pike again tomorrow if I feel better.  Ice is shot locally round my neck of the woods.
Gotta sit the next 2 weeks out and hopefully the ice will be better shape when I'm back.  I do want to get jiggy.

May is a long ways away and who knows what new regulations the marine will come up with this season.  I've been told there will be big changes.

Good luck and probably see you on top 😎

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2436 on: Jan 04, 2020, 02:05 PM »
Feel better RJ.  There is some hope, I found local ice in CT that is reasonable.  Id rather be up there though. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2437 on: Jan 04, 2020, 04:52 PM »
Feel better RJ.  There is some hope, I found local ice in CT that is reasonable.  Id rather be up there though.

Was on 8-9inches in CT today. Felt odd  driving south for better ice. Got one small pike and a solid bass. I did however have a small black bear come check me out. He was prob 80 yards away and wandered into the woods after a couple minute staring match. 
westernmas on the finder

Offline njmar75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2438 on: Jan 04, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Wow...where in ct?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2439 on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:06 PM »
Was on 8-9inches in CT today. Felt odd  driving south for better ice. Got one small pike and a solid bass. I did however have a small black bear come check me out. He was prob 80 yards away and wandered into the woods after a couple minute staring match.

I can't fish that spot anymore.  Too busy.  It used to be 15 mins from me...

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2440 on: Jan 04, 2020, 08:48 PM »
A bear this late that's cool.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2441 on: Jan 05, 2020, 03:53 PM »
A bear this late that's cool.
cool if your not an ice fisherman that means too warm! this week looks chilly at the lake but rain and 40s by the weekend, no one ventured out this weekend?....

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2442 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:17 AM »
cool if your not an ice fisherman that means too warm! this week looks chilly at the lake but rain and 40s by the weekend, no one ventured out this weekend?....
I hear you. But you can't change mother nature so at least she threw  you something exiting. Down here on the smaller bodies of water there is some ice. But your right by the weekend ....no good.

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2443 on: Jan 06, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Any info on ice conditions off eagle point. Planning a trip up on Wednesday or Thursday. It’s a 3 hr ride up for me. I do have other options, just be nice to know before I make the trek up.

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2444 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:09 PM »
I drove by Eagle on Saturday and there were guys fishing just to the North and South of it.   Down the lake a bit further I measured ice at 8 inches.   

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2445 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:30 PM »
i was on the north end by the island saturday and had no problem with the quad
had 6-8 everywhere we drilled
as for the fishing we only landed a few rat lakers 13-17inches on the jig
the tip ups were just for show not one flag
it can only get better
next weekend ill fish where i usually do very well and cash in on some schroon gold

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #2446 on: Jan 08, 2020, 03:02 PM »
I found some access and went out on the narrows yesterday. Had ~ 8" of ice, 1.5-2" of it being cloudy with the rest clear. Managed 5 with two over 18" so no complaints there. Had to keep downsizing as the day progressed to keep the fish interested. Fingers crossed shorelines doesnt take too much of a beating this weekend

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2447 on: Jan 08, 2020, 03:21 PM »
I found some access and went out on the narrows yesterday. Had ~ 8" of ice, 1.5-2" of it being cloudy with the rest clear. Managed 5 with two over 18" so no complaints there. Had to keep downsizing as the day progressed to keep the fish interested. Fingers crossed shorelines doesnt take too much of a beating this weekend

The QPF is 1.5 to 2" of rain.  The snow pack equivalent is 1.5 to 2".  If we get the rain they forecast the lake will rise and there will be a gap of open water to the ice. 

Re the quad...on another laker lake not far from there a quad went in.  80 fow.  This lake freezes before schroon.  Be careful.

Offline Schroedl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2448 on: Jan 08, 2020, 04:39 PM »
Had a similar experience on the north end by the island. No flags all day, but we jigged up a few small Lakers. Lots of fish looking at the jigs but the bite was a little finicky. Next time we may head to the narrows.

Offline Schroedl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2449 on: Jan 08, 2020, 04:47 PM »
i was on the north end by the island saturday and had no problem with the quad
had 6-8 everywhere we drilled
as for the fishing we only landed a few rat lakers 13-17inches on the jig
the tip ups were just for show not one flag
it can only get better
next weekend ill fish where i usually do very well and cash in on some schroon gold

We had a similar experience today but got into a few jigging at 40ish feet. Tip ups were set at 50-55, so we may have to go a little more shallow next time.

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2450 on: Jan 08, 2020, 05:02 PM »
im gunna make the trek in the morning. hopefully they are hungry tomorrow. 3hr ride plus bait store time....looks like a 2am start.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2451 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:10 PM »
The QPF is 1.5 to 2" of rain.  The snow pack equivalent is 1.5 to 2".  If we get the rain they forecast the lake will rise and there will be a gap of open water to the ice. 

Re the quad...on another laker lake not far from there a quad went in.  80 fow.  This lake freezes before schroon.  Be careful.
explain the severity of this for the guys pushing the envelopes... I don't have the patience

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2452 on: Jan 09, 2020, 05:41 AM »
explain the severity of this for the guys pushing the envelopes... I don't have the patience

Swim to get off the ice...

Offline nkocak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2453 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Any info on narrows east shore for Sunday? Weather doesn’t look great. Not to bad a drive worth the trip. Thanks in advance.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2454 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:14 AM »

I found open water on New Years Day.  I'm sure if you know the lake very well and spud like crazy it is fishable but theres about 3+ months to get on there so what's the point in risking it.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2455 on: Jan 09, 2020, 01:39 PM »
I found open water on New Years Day.  I'm sure if you know the lake very well and spud like crazy it is fishable but theres about 3+ months to get on there so what's the point in risking it.

Pat the issue is the lake rises after heavy rains and I expect it will for Sunday.  Last year we got out one morning...ice tight to shore.  10 hrs later and there was a 10-15' gap between the edge of the ice and shore! 

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #2456 on: Jan 09, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Pat the issue is the lake rises after heavy rains and I expect it will for Sunday.  Last year we got out one morning...ice tight to shore.  10 hrs later and there was a 10-15' gap between the edge of the ice and shore!

It generally takes 24-48 hours after the precipitation stops before the lake crests. With the amount of snowmelt that'll happen this weekend, plus the 2" of rain that will fall, there isnt a very pretty picture being painted for early next week  :(

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2457 on: Jan 09, 2020, 03:43 PM »
I did get some good news this afternoon.  My friend Walt went back out from the dock at Schroon and drilled holes from there to the Island, and south of the Island.  Measured 9-10" ice each hole, including about 2" white ice, the rest clear black ice.  I waited on shore for him to get back to get a firsthand report.  This isn't off Fowler, or the Narrows, or the south basin.  That amount of ice regardless of this weekends crappy forecast should be fine, the edges will probably be compromised for a time, but that will recover as well, IMO. Tomorrow, Friday might be a very good day to fish.
Tony

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2458 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:24 PM »
I did get some good news this afternoon.  My friend Walt went back out from the dock at Schroon and drilled holes from there to the Island, and south of the Island.  Measured 9-10" ice each hole, including about 2" white ice, the rest clear black ice.  I waited on shore for him to get back to
get a firsthand report.  This isn't off Fowler, or the Narrows, or the south
basin.  That amount of ice regardless of this weekends crappy forecast should be fine, the edges will probably be compromised for a time, but that will recover as well, IMO. Tomorrow, Friday might be a very good day to fish.

I was on the north  side of Clark’s island today. I walked from the dock, no issues that I saw. I had a consistent 8” of ice. There was a pressure ride  starting to open on the NW side of the island,  open maybe 3/4-1”. Hopefully this weekends deluge doesn’t take it out.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2459 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:29 AM »
Edges are a mess right now. We only found one safe place to get on, at the launch behind Stewarts, to the left where the cement dock meets the water, just step down to the ice.
Tony

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.