New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429612 times)

Offline jig em

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #2400 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:00 PM »
Looking for a good panfish lake or pound any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Offline jimc1965

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2401 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:24 AM »
Thanks to all for your replies. See ya up there.

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2402 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:03 AM »
For all you locals, how'd you make out with all this rain? Looking to head up this weekend. Leaving the wheeler home obviously but would like to get out there.
Rob

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2403 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:14 AM »
For all you locals, how'd you make out with all this rain? Looking to head up this weekend. Leaving the wheeler home obviously but would like to get out there.

Ice was a disaster on Tuesday am where I fished, slushy, water coming out of the holes...ice was 3-4" where I was. 

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2404 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:15 AM »
Ice was a disaster on Tuesday am where I fished, slushy, water coming out of the holes...ice was 3-4" where I was.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info!
Rob

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2405 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:16 AM »
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info!

No problem.  It was snowing when I left yesterday.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2406 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:06 AM »
I'm no local but made the drive up yesterday.  Fished the north end and I agree the ice was starting to get sloppy.  I've never fished Schroon and had ideas if fishing off the point near the access at fowler but the ice was not safe in that direction.  I'm not sure if there is current, a spring or was caused by the small pressure ridge that is out that way but I was spudding and one hit I didn't even feel the ice.  The snow and slush really covered sketchy areas but the spud saved my butt.  We turned around and fished toward the islands and found about 5 inches of ice.  We iced 8 lakers, half on tip ups and half jigging.  All tip up fish were caught out of the same hole which I found very odd.
westernmas on the finder

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #2407 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:44 AM »
That ridge was already bad last week

If you drill it, they will come...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2408 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:24 PM »
It got worse the further south you go.  I wasn't on much (Tuesday morning)

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2409 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Looks like I am going to be staying off the ice this weekend. Ten day forecast looks decent. Hopefully it will lock back up.
Rob

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2410 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:28 PM »
The area pictured is the extreme north end, and that area is often questionable. An local oldtimer named Bunny S. once told me that area has a lot of "hills on the lake floor, and the current from the river hits those and works the underside of the ice.  I had my hairiest moment on Schroon Lake up there many years ago and won't go back. When I go off Fowler I always swing toward the north end of the Island then go upward towards Talachito Point or Steep Bay, but not beyond.
Tony

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2411 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:45 PM »
The area pictured is the extreme north end, and that area is often questionable. An local oldtimer named Bunny S. once told me that area has a lot of "hills on the lake floor, and the current from the river hits those and works the underside of the ice.  I had my hairiest moment on Schroon Lake up there many years ago and won't go back. When I go off Fowler I always swing toward the north end of the Island then go upward towards Talachito Point or Steep Bay, but not beyond.

All I can say is THANK GOD FOR SPUD BARS, without one I would have went for a dip.  Luckily I didn't need to test out the new predator bibs that I received for Christmas.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2412 on: Jan 02, 2020, 03:05 PM »
All I can say is THANK GOD FOR SPUD BARS, without one I would have went for a dip.  Luckily I didn't need to test out the new predator bibs that I received for Christmas.

You should never fish without one, especially on bigger lakes with ridges. 

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2413 on: Jan 02, 2020, 03:48 PM »
You should never fish without one, especially on bigger lakes with ridges.
Totally agree with a spud.  I get really leary using an atv on some lakes because of that. 
I bought both my kids spuds and trying to instill their value and purpose . 1 has it , the other just thinks having one is meaningful.  I watch him walk with reckless abandon and cringe.
I'm pretty sure the spud bar saved my butt yesterday as I stayed off the rotten ice.

Better days are coming and I can't wait for LG to lock up so I can fish schroon  🤞

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2414 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:04 PM »
Totally agree with a spud.  I get really leary using an atv on some lakes because of that. 
I bought both my kids spuds and trying to instill their value and purpose . 1 has it , the other just thinks having one is meaningful.  I watch him walk with reckless abandon and cringe.
I'm pretty sure the spud bar saved my butt yesterday as I stayed off the rotten ice.

Better days are coming and I can't wait for LG to lock up so I can fish schroon  🤞

You've been missing out RJ.  I don't deal with crowds or being crowded or fished on top of.  It hasn't been like that this season at all...I'm sure FB will eventually ruin it.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2415 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:24 PM »
You've been missing out RJ.  I don't deal with crowds or being crowded or fished on top of.  It hasn't been like that this season at all...I'm sure FB will eventually ruin it.
I'm sure you're right.
We been doing ok in our 2019 outings.
I've really changed habitat in past 4 years as a harvester and less a sportster chasing fun. We don't grocery store shop.
Lakers don't really take up space on my table but fun as hell to play with.
I'll be visiting soon . Catch all you can to educate them for leftovers here.

Stay on top and stop a stranger just to shake their hand

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2416 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:18 AM »
thin ice scares people.... kinda hope it stays that way  :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2417 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:53 AM »
I'm sure you're right.
We been doing ok in our 2019 outings.
I've really changed habitat in past 4 years as a harvester and less a sportster chasing fun. We don't grocery store shop.
Lakers don't really take up space on my table but fun as hell to play with.
I'll be visiting soon . Catch all you can to educate them for leftovers here.

Stay on top and stop a stranger just to shake their hand

I can appreciate that.  I haven't done any harvesting trips yet, I need to.  My daughter loves catching and eating them. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2418 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:55 AM »
thin ice scares people.... kinda hope it stays that way  :tipup:

Nothing wrong with that.  Schroon has screwed me a few times, but I like it too much to stop.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2419 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Love the guy that said waiting on George to freeze to start fishing schroon  ;D  ;D Awesome lol quite a few guys out this week

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #2420 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:24 PM »
Love the guy that said waiting on George to freeze to start fishing schroon  ;D  ;D Awesome lol quite a few guys out this week

It will be interesting with these temps on who decides to venture out tomorrow. Sunday is the better day weather wise
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BOCHASER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2421 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:41 PM »
Just got a BAD report from one of our neighbors up on Schroon. They walked out on the ice from the Landings heading towards Word of Life Island. Halfway across the lake one of them went in. Luckily they got out. Just wanted to pass along what I just heard. I am not at the lake so I cant visually confirm myself. Please beware.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2422 on: Jan 03, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Just got a BAD report from one of our neighbors up on Schroon. They walked out on the ice from the Landings heading towards Word of Life Island. Halfway across the lake one of them went in. Luckily they got out. Just wanted to pass along what I just heard. I am not at the lake so I cant visually confirm myself. Please beware.

Doesnt surprise me at all after being on the ice nearby on Tuesday.  Your neighbor needs a spud bar and that would not have happened. 

On a side note....Word of Life...weird establishment up there....

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2423 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:14 PM »
Doesnt surprise me at all after being on the ice nearby on Tuesday.  Your neighbor needs a spud bar and that would not have happened. 

On a side note....Word of Life...weird establishment up there....

I thought I was going to have to go on a rescue mission on Wednesday.  There were people, not ice fishing, just walking around on the ice right near where that pressure ridge was.  If they went another 40 feet out from shore they would have been in trouble.  I'll be on smaller water until we get another good cold spell.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2424 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Friends of mine watched a guy walk into open water on schroon and self rescue.  Crazy world.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2425 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:20 PM »
I thought I was going to have to go on a rescue mission on Wednesday.  There were people, not ice fishing, just walking around on the ice right near where that pressure ridge was.  If they went another 40 feet out from shore they would have been in trouble. I'll be on smaller water until we get another good cold spell.

That's going to be my plan starting tomorrow  :o
Tony

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2426 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:44 PM »
Friends of mine watched a guy walk into open water on schroon and self rescue.  Crazy world.

Guess he found out that his Suit works. Wonder what his back up plan was if it didn't? Lol.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2427 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:20 PM »
Id have to confirm but I dont think he was wearing one. 

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2428 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:27 PM »

Pretty sure we were in same place,  same time.
Chasing wabbits myself tomorrow and flags on smaller northern waters Sunday in Essexco. .
I'm not scared of ice,  I'm much older now.

Stay safe folks so the other half don't just junk all our valuable equipment 😂

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2429 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:23 PM »
Wild was all over there Wednesday got comfortable bite was slow stopped spudding just started walking after the morning no ice is safe ice didn’t think today was too warm up there gas holes maybe stay safe this weekend spud away

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.