New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429708 times)

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #1530 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:53 PM »
How are the edges with this warm up

Offline adkPhisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1531 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Where is the Easiest access point to get on the Ice at Schroon Lake?  The beach? Boat launch? Never Ice fished there, tks

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1532 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Where is the Easiest access point to get on the Ice at Schroon Lake?  The beach? Boat launch? Never Ice fished there, tks

Haven't been to Schroon recently, but anytime I have gone, I have gotten on at the boat launch. Very easy access and parking is close.
Rob

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1533 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:44 AM »

I've always used the Schroon Lake town beach/launch. Behind Stewart's on dock street.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #1534 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:57 AM »
I've always used the Schroon Lake town beach/launch. Behind Stewart's on dock street.

Can you park with a quad trailer there?    Thanks

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1535 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Yes, last i knew

Offline slimeypete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1536 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Is there access at all around Brill Island or the southern end of schroon other than the lower basin boat launch? I just dont want to ruffle any feathers by parking on private property or roadside where i dont belong. Any insight would be great. Thanks and tight lines
Eat, sleep, and Fish = A Happy Life

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1537 on: Feb 16, 2018, 01:29 PM »
Is there access at all around Brill Island or the southern end of schroon other than the lower basin boat launch? I just dont want to ruffle any feathers by parking on private property or roadside where i dont belong. Any insight would be great. Thanks and tight lines

No, south end open water.  Eagle Pt is the southern access
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1538 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:27 PM »
How are the edges with this warm up

Fine, no problems
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1539 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Friday afternoon report for Schroon.  Most of the snow has melted off, by Sat. morning there might be 2-3" of frozen snow-slush as temps are forecasted to be in the low single numbers tonight.  Temps are rapidly falling right now.  Ice is mostly over 20" thick, but I did find a couple spots of 18".  If you go on at Fowler, and want to fish the east shoreline I would NOT cross straight across.  I would swing down toward the northern part of the Island then cut up the lake on the far side. Didn't like the looks of the river channel in the center this morning.
Tony

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1540 on: Feb 17, 2018, 12:11 PM »
Friday afternoon report for Schroon.  Most of the snow has melted off, by Sat. morning there might be 2-3" of frozen snow-slush as temps are forecasted to be in the low single numbers tonight.  Temps are rapidly falling right now.  Ice is mostly over 20" thick, but I did find a couple spots of 18".  If you go on at Fowler, and want to fish the east shoreline I would NOT cross straight across.  I would swing down toward the northern part of the Island then cut up the lake on the far side. Didn't like the looks of the river channel in the center this morning.

Narrow is still good?

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1541 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:18 PM »
how many of you doing the derby this year. Cant wait. hoping we keep good enough ice so I can put my shack on the ice for the weekend.  Hate spending money on a room when I got one I can bring.   
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1542 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:08 AM »
I took my annual trip to Schroon on Saturday. I got on at Eagle Point. I fished from 6:30AM to 3:30PM. The ice was in great condition and it was easy walking. I pretty much had the whole area to myself. I saw a few guys set up north of the point and a group way south of me.  I only marked 3 lakers all day in 60-70 fow and didn't get any of them to bite. I was able to find small schools of smelt but the lakers didn't seem to be with them. Anyway the weather was perfect for a day of hole hopping looking for lakers.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1543 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Saturday's fishing report:  After Lakers, early bite has been good.  15 flags, 7 Lakers caught, only one keeper size.  Fish were not aggressive, not like Wed.  Lots of dropped bait. Great conditions, not sure how long that will last.  Worse part of this coming warmup will be Tues night, lows near 50, Wed high 60's, then cooling off Thursday.  Not much rain forecasted in the Eastern Adirondacks, but how much snow melt will we have, and will that cause the lake to raise, compromising the edges.
Tony

Offline walleye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1544 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Do you think ice will be good for tournament? Saw next week temps in 30s and teens at night

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1545 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:01 PM »
Good weather and good fishing the last 3 days on Schroon
Friday and Saturday we had good action on both tip ups and jigs we had like 20 lakers from 15-21 inches with most of em being 16-17 inches  all fish caught in 35-45 feet of water
On Sunday we decided to go deeper and the move paid off big time we set up in 45-90 feet and were busy with flags most of the day and the jigging was solid as well
We ended up with like 15 between the 5 of us( only two under 18in)keeping 8 of em from 20-26inches
Throwing back the rest to fight another day
Gotta love that Schroon Gold
I hope the shoreline holds up till tourney time ,

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1546 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Does anyone know if you can register for the tournament online? A buddy and I have been thinking of doing it this year. Just looking to save the drive up. Can you still register the weekend of the derby?
Rob

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1547 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Another day on Schroon.  Slowest of the last 3 trips, 3 Lakers, all keeper size, 2 at first light, last one while we were picking up. early afternoon.  Lots of water on top of ice, rushing into holes.  Kind of a hairy drive off the lake in the Jeep, 24" ice though.  remains to be seen how much damage is done to the lake by the current warmup.
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1548 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Does anyone know if you can register for the tournament online? A buddy and I have been thinking of doing it this year. Just looking to save the drive up. Can you still register the weekend of the derby?

Don't think there is any online registration, local businesses or at the club for registration.
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1549 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Do you think ice will be good for tournament? Saw next week temps in 30s and teens at night

Should cool off after this current warmup.  How much snowmelt we get will determine how much runoff goes into the lake, possibly compromising the edges.
Tony

Offline walleye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1550 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Does anyone know how the lake held up aftet this warmup? Hope the edges made it through

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1551 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Does anyone know how the lake held up aftet this warmup? Hope the edges made it through

As of this afternoon, no change at all.  Schroon River didn't come up yet from snowmelt, may take a day or two. A lot of the mountains around here didn't warm up much more than 12 hrs or so, so snowmelt was limited.
Tony

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1552 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:54 PM »
As of this afternoon, no change at all.  Schroon River didn't come up yet from snowmelt, may take a day or two. A lot of the mountains around here didn't warm up much more than 12 hrs or so, so snowmelt was limited.

Thanks for the update, we left George at 3 today and were surprised at how well the ice held up through the warm up there too. Hoping to hit Schroon next week if it stays good

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1553 on: Feb 23, 2018, 01:00 PM »
I’m thinking of making the trip over from Maine next weekend.
How’s the ice holding up?
Thx.

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1554 on: Feb 24, 2018, 06:07 AM »
I’m thinking of making the trip over from Maine next weekend.
How’s the ice holding up?
Thx.

Next weekend is the tournament so unless you are coming over for that, I'm sure the lake will be packed.
Rob

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1555 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Next weekend is the tournament so unless you are coming over for that, I'm sure the lake will be packed.
That’s the plan. So I take it the ice is holding up well?

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1556 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:56 AM »
I'm at eagle point now.  The shoreline is pretty toast at bottom of hill if you have an atv .
The beach access is better for that.
Water is very stained from the river.
Still about 15" ice but lots of rain overnight and now.
I think everyone will be fine, just be smart

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1557 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:01 PM »
How much snow/slush?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1558 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:18 PM »
How much snow/slush?
Basically none.  We had some sleet last night, but not much.
Tony

Offline icehouserlt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1559 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:57 PM »
What's up iceshanty.  Been awhile since I've been able to get on. I'm planning on fishing schroon March 8 -11. Hoping the ice will be good by then. Any tips on where to fish?. I'm staying at rowes cabins.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.