New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429600 times)

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #1260 on: Mar 05, 2017, 06:37 PM »
This years winner and winning pike look the same a last years. You make the call.

www.schroonlakeregion.com/blog/2017/01/anglers-ice

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1261 on: Mar 05, 2017, 07:20 PM »
OK Then they should of Refunded Everyone's  entry fee !!!!

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1262 on: Mar 05, 2017, 07:32 PM »
This years winner and winning pike look the same a last years. You make the call.

www.schroonlakeregion.com/blog/2017/01/anglers-ice

See what you are talking about, but do you think it is the same fish?

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1263 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:15 PM »

2016: http://schroonlaker.com/blog-roll/2016/3/6/a-fish-story-or-three
2017: http://schroonlakefishandgame.com/icefishingderby

Yes, it appears to be the same guy.... Different fish though- wow! Some people just have a lake figured out I guess. absolutely not same fish imo!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1264 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:58 PM »
Seriously, you're criticizing the organizers? Give me a break! Its each individuals responsibility to decide whether its safe for them to go on the ice, nobody forced them. Going through the ice is ALWAYS a risk you take when ice fishing, regardless of how much ice there is.  Who's responsible for the guy going swimming on Harris Bay last week, there wasn't any derby there?
This is one of the biggest problems with our society today, someone is always looking for others to blame for what happens to them. Take responsibility for your own actions and their consequences.
mike you are absolutely correct! it is up to each individual to decide weather or not the ice is safe enough to fish and I agree people are always looking for someone else to blame,that said I do blame the organizers for eluding all week the ice is perfectly fine,when in fact they were not able to even get out to check the ice themselves due to high water and an eroded shore line.if ur not from around here and many people that fish this derby are not from around here may have been lead to belive the ice was in better shape than it was.I also look at all the other derbies that were cancelled due to sub par ice conditions,why?  because event organizers did not want the responsibility,guilt,blame or whatever placed on them if something would have happened and someone  was injured or worse.also the lakes these derbies were on had better ice conditions at the time the derbies were scheduled than the condition of schroons ice now and were still cancelled for saftey. IMO it was irresponsible to hold this particular event this year with conditions the way they are.holding an event like this may give a false sense of security. what I mean is some dumb @$$ who lives 6 hours away and knows little about the lake may just assume that because the event wasn't cancelled then the ice must be fine and if the ice wasn't good then the derby would be cancelled just like the rest of the derbies,when you hold an event like this you have to treat everyone like they know nothing about ice and ice saftey and certainly don't post on the club website that the ice is perfectly fine when in fact the ice was not and when some concerned folks commented on the same website warning anglers about the ice conditions those posts were removed,and for that reason rite there is why I criticize the organizers

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1265 on: Mar 06, 2017, 06:56 AM »

Check the eyes. Does it look like a fresh caught fish.

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1266 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:27 AM »
That fish looks like it's been in the freezer!

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1267 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:29 AM »
I've seen eyeballs freeze real quick in super cold weather. 

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1268 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:44 AM »
I've seen eyeballs freeze real quick in super cold weather.

For sure.  If you keep a fish out of water too long that can happen when it is single digits.  It would take som serious balls to weigh in the same fish one year later at the same derby.  Also it would look amazing for a year old in the freezer fish

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #1269 on: Mar 06, 2017, 08:00 AM »
With single digit temps on sat and Sunday starting off below zero, everything would freeze pretty quick.   The few perch I got froze instantly. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1270 on: Mar 06, 2017, 08:54 AM »
For sure.  If you keep a fish out of water too long that can happen when it is single digits.  It would take som serious balls to weigh in the same fish one year later at the same derby.  Also it would look amazing for a year old in the freezer fish
There is more than one factor to determine the state of this fish besides the eyes. The body is somewhat dehydrated and misshapen. The photos show different sides of the fish. The 2016 photos, showing the side of the 2017 fish distinctive markings, on the F&G Facebook pages have been removed. If the 2017 fish was longer and heavier it would be more believable.

.........And why the feeble attempt to change the his name from year to year.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1271 on: Mar 06, 2017, 08:57 AM »
With single digit temps on sat and Sunday starting off below zero, everything would freeze pretty quick.   The few perch I got froze instantly.

Just my 2 cents but I agree it is the same guy (did he register under a different name last year?) but not the same fish. Last years fish's "white spots" were more elongated than this years. It also looks like this years fish had been around for awhile and was dehyraded-yes they flash freeze when left on ice in 10F but they do thaw back out and look normal again like the fish from last year. I guess that is why some of the bigger tournaments give lie detector tests to the winners?
All that being said maybe the guy is just a darn good fisherman.

(Modify) I see Hunts4perch and I had the exact same thoughts at the same time.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1272 on: Mar 06, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Seriously, you're criticizing the organizers? Give me a break! Its each individuals responsibility to decide whether its safe for them to go on the ice, nobody forced them. Going through the ice is ALWAYS a risk you take when ice fishing, regardless of how much ice there is.  Who's responsible for the guy going swimming on Harris Bay last week, there wasn't any derby there?
This is one of the biggest problems with our society today, someone is always looking for others to blame for what happens to them. Take responsibility for your own actions and their consequences.

You couldn't be farther from the truth! While I agree that to many people try to blame others today and not take responsibility for their actions there is a huge difference between fishing on your own and fishing in a sponsored tournament. If you have been ice fishing for any length of time you would understand this. They not only said that the lake was and would be safe but said that the people actually checking the lake to really know were wrong and that there was no need to worry. This is very irresponsible, especially since 8 or 9 people went through so they were wrong. People travel a long way for this and other tournaments and have a right to expect honesty from the organizers, not ones only concerned with the money!
Jon and Jon were right to do what they did and probably saved some lives and a lot of money for travelers also by actually checking the ice and knowing what to tell people rather than telling people they couldn't check the ice and then removing the web site so people couldn't even check there.....very unprofessional. I have been ice fishing over 35 years and have never heard of a organization that was more concerned about their money than the safety of the participants! Everyone should not even attend next year.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1273 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:02 AM »
I made a post about a hour ago and thought better about it and deleted it....but others are saying my same thoughts, so I will just post my opinion...

Obviously same guy....and obviously two different fish. The non frozen fish has a complete different pattern then the frozen one. No arguement there....where I get suspiscious, is when I look closely at the frozen one..

Anyone that has wrapped and frozen a fish for some time will know exactly what I am talking about. Look at the tail fin, dorsal fin and other fins. If you notice, the fine are only halfway iced up. The tail fin is clear as day to menwith a perfectly straight ice edge...the way those fine look suggest the fish was wrapped with suran wrap, aminum foil or something....and I am saying that is because when you unwrap a fish, specifically the tips of the fins will have the ice ripped off, or they will thaw first from the lack of ice from being in-wrapped. Also noticed the back...pretty clear of ice. Also a indicator of being wrapped. If that fish was left to freeze freshly on the ice, it would be frozen equally, or covered in snow etc. a big northern will flop around for some time.... I'm not seeing any signs that the fish was freshly thrown on the ice IMO. Nature doesn't make perfectly straight thaw lines...

Again, just a observation. I also fail to see a 21lb northern in that frozen one....unless the fish has been frozen for some time and is frozen solid....then you are looking at adding some good weight...even in 10* temps, fish of that size won't freeze to the core for a long time.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1274 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:33 AM »
I made a post about a hour ago and thought better about it and deleted it....but others are saying my same thoughts, so I will just post my opinion...

Obviously same guy....and obviously two different fish. The non frozen fish has a complete different pattern then the frozen one. No arguement there....where I get suspiscious, is when I look closely at the frozen one..

Anyone that has wrapped and frozen a fish for some time will know exactly what I am talking about. Look at the tail fin, dorsal fin and other fins. If you notice, the fine are only halfway iced up. The tail fin is clear as day to menwith a perfectly straight ice edge...the way those fine look suggest the fish was wrapped with suran wrap, aminum foil or something....and I am saying that is because when you unwrap a fish, specifically the tips of the fins will have the ice ripped off, or they will thaw first from the lack of ice from being in-wrapped. Also noticed the back...pretty clear of ice. Also a indicator of being wrapped. If that fish was left to freeze freshly on the ice, it would be frozen equally, or covered in snow etc. a big northern will flop around for some time.... I'm not seeing any signs that the fish was freshly thrown on the ice IMO. Nature doesn't make perfectly straight thaw lines...

Again, just a observation. I also fail to see a 21lb northern in that frozen one....unless the fish has been frozen for some time and is frozen solid....then you are looking at adding some good weight...even in 10* temps, fish of that size won't freeze to the core for a long time.

I do agree with you there,  not the same fish, but i know exactly what you are saying with the "previously wrapped" fish look.  The more i look at, the more questions i have.

Also doesn't help that its the same guy, with the pike of the year, in one weekend each year.  Not saying he cheated, only he knows if thats the case, but it is fairly clear what you are pointing out. 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1275 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Glad you see what I see. I was really biting my tongue to stay out of it, but it's just too obvious. I'm not saying he cheated either, but dang if it isn't suspiscous looking.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1276 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I agree! very very suspicious. not to mention the fact the F&G Club would rather take a big chance than be safe and call it off for next year. again, thank god there were no casualties

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1277 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Also checking results of previous years, a 14 pounder won in 2013, then a 10 pounder in 2015.  Now back to back 20 + fish.  Heck of a fishermen, thats for sure.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1278 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Even more suspicious when you aren't in the awards photo. Just saying.  :-\

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1279 on: Mar 06, 2017, 11:22 AM »
you guys must have all voted for HILLARY. lol

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #1280 on: Mar 06, 2017, 11:26 AM »
you guys must have all voted for HILLARY. lol

now thats HARSH troll, right there   :o  can't do anything better with the pot than stir it ???

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1281 on: Mar 06, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Hopefully this helps.  Enjoy

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1282 on: Mar 06, 2017, 02:12 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Well if that winning fish was caught out of that hole, interesting.  Guys remember a number of weeks ago we had the discussion about catching large fish in close to shore.......
Tony

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1283 on: Mar 06, 2017, 02:20 PM »
I did not doubt that fish for a minute.You guys all realize how cold it was.As far as 20lbers schroon is a pike factory if you know how to fish it.Congrats to this guy he deserves it two years in a row and in chit conditions.Good for you man way to stick it out.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1284 on: Mar 06, 2017, 02:31 PM »
You couldn't be farther from the truth! While I agree that to many people try to blame others today and not take responsibility for their actions there is a huge difference between fishing on your own and fishing in a sponsored tournament. If you have been ice fishing for any length of time you would understand this. They not only said that the lake was and would be safe but said that the people actually checking the lake to really know were wrong and that there was no need to worry. This is very irresponsible, especially since 8 or 9 people went through so they were wrong. People travel a long way for this and other tournaments and have a right to expect honesty from the organizers, not ones only concerned with the money!
Jon and Jon were right to do what they did and probably saved some lives and a lot of money for travelers also by actually checking the ice and knowing what to tell people rather than telling people they couldn't check the ice and then removing the web site so people couldn't even check there.....very unprofessional. I have been ice fishing over 35 years and have never heard of a organization that was more concerned about their money than the safety of the participants! Everyone should not even attend next year.
First of all, I'm 53 years old and have been ice fishing since I was 13 so I think I know a little bit about what I'm talking about.
Second, I don't care how much you payed, and how far you drove, the ultimate responsibility for your safety is YOU! If you take someone Else's word for it without doing your due diligence and you go through, its on you, period.
If I buy tickets to a NY Giants game, and I choose to drive 5 hours to NJ in a blinding snowstorm, smack my car up and hurt myself, that's not the NY Giants fault.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1285 on: Mar 06, 2017, 02:50 PM »
First of all, I'm 53 years old and have been ice fishing since I was 13 so I think I know a little bit about what I'm talking about.
Second, I don't care how much you payed, and how far you drove, the ultimate responsibility for your safety is YOU! If you take someone Else's word for it without doing your due diligence and you go through, its on you, period.
If I buy tickets to a NY Giants game, and I choose to drive 5 hours to NJ in a blinding snowstorm, smack my car up and hurt myself, that's not the NY Giants fault.
but it is the giants fault if the stadium bleachers are not safe and they knowingly let people sit there, the bleaches collapse and injur people!.....isn't it??

Besides who wants to go see the giants play jk lol

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1286 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:01 PM »
but it is the giants fault if the stadium bleachers are not safe and the knowingly let people sit there, the bleaches collapse and injur people.....isn't it

Besides who wants to go see the giants play jk lol
I root for the Patriots just to spite any of my foosball loving friends.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1287 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:28 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

OK, I'll stir the pot a little more. If this picture from Berkley4life is supposedly of the fish that won this year, then you can see that fish is not frozen and in fact was kept in the water on that stringer tied to his auger. Which is the way to do because a fish can lose weight laying around and drying out. If anyone does catch a 20# Pike, he should immediately take it in and have it registered/weighed. That's what the Salmon fisherman do in the Lake Ontario Derbys.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1288 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:29 PM »
I question if that pike was caught on Saturday 3/4 or Sunday 3/5.  The temperatures were quite cold on both days and this guy is in blue genes.  Either it is a deferent day or he is a better man than me to be out all day in freezing temperatures in blue genes.  Maybe he has some good thermal knits.  Sure seems suspicious.  Nice big pike regardless.

Offline JiggnWithIt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1289 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:50 PM »
That's a beauty

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.