New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429689 times)

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #1230 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Are people walking  on from west side?? 

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1231 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:09 AM »
were in there narrows, got on fine, 4+ at the shore, 3 lakers so far

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1232 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:27 AM »
lol I can see it now. If no incidents, someone is going to get on here gloating with the old "I told you so" BS

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1233 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Interested in hearing about Stewarts/town boat launch access.

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1234 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:52 AM »
were in there narrows, got on fine, 4+ at the shore, 3 lakers so far

Thank you.  Perfect answer.  Thank you!!

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1235 on: Mar 04, 2017, 10:19 AM »
lol I can see it now. If no incidents, someone is going to get on here gloating with the old "I told you so" BS

I hope you're right actually.  I want to be "wrong" about safety concerns.  If anything bad did happen, I'm certain nobody would gloat about it.  Hope it stays 100% safe for the weekend out there.
I love clipboard man

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1236 on: Mar 04, 2017, 10:24 AM »
How many are out on the ice?   

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1237 on: Mar 04, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Looked like less than 100 people out there. DEC at the ready with air boat.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1238 on: Mar 04, 2017, 11:14 AM »
Also interested in northern shoreline / fowler shoreline

Online ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1239 on: Mar 04, 2017, 11:15 AM »
I might just have to go tomorrow  ::)

Or I might see about a 10 lb walleye 😎
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1240 on: Mar 04, 2017, 11:47 AM »
How many are out on the ice?
Ok, here's the deal.  There is a fraction of the normal amount of fishermen on Schroon today, but people are fishing, and so far no emergency calls, thank God.  The edges have put on a fair amount of ice in a couple days, although the high March sun is making things wet again, despite the temps only in the single numbers.  Getting off could be the biggest challenge.  Here's where guys are getting on. North end, Woods lodge, just south of Fowler the town has a right of way to the lake, very crowded with vehicles.  The thing that concerns me about that spot is that some have crossed the channel of the river to fish the far (east) side. I wouldn't trust that area AT ALL.  Warm rainwater has been flowing into the lake for 2 weeks, not good.  Quite a few vehicles parked along Skylark Lane (private), I can't believe they all have permission. Guys are also getting on at the Narrows and Eagle Pt. Just a couple vehicles along East Shore Drive.  Nobody off Adirondack, when I passed there earlier this morning.
Tony

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1241 on: Mar 04, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Ok, here's the deal.  There is a fraction of the normal amount of fishermen on Schroon today, but people are fishing, and so far no emergency calls, thank God.  The edges have put on a fair amount of ice in a couple days, although the high March sun is making things wet again, despite the temps only in the single numbers.  Getting off could be the biggest challenge.  Here's where guys are getting on. North end, Woods lodge, just south of Fowler the town has a right of way to the lake, very crowded with vehicles.  The thing that concerns me about that spot is that some have crossed the channel of the river to fish the far (east) side. I wouldn't trust that area AT ALL.  Warm rainwater has been flowing into the lake for 2 weeks, not good.  Quite a few vehicles parked along Skylark Lane (private), I can't believe they all have permission. Guys are also getting on at the Narrows and Eagle Pt. Just a couple vehicles along East Sore Drive.  Nobody off Adirondack, when I passed there earlier this morning.

Thank you SchrnLker.  your info has been very helpful.  (as usual)   

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1242 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:02 PM »
not suprising they have a low turnout with all this commotion.  Thanks for the update on the ice and genuine concern for safety. It does seem like this went from certain death to a resonably safe ice derby pretty quick, with the cold temps, and river dropping, as they (Schroon fish and game) predicted?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1243 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:18 PM »
not suprising they have a low turnout with all this commotion.  Thanks for the update on the ice and genuine concern for safety. It does seem like this went from certain death to a resonably safe ice derby pretty quick, with the cold temps, and river dropping, as they (Schroon fish and game) predicted?

I believe the firestorm on social media most likely saved lives this weekend.  There are places on Schroon that normally would be safe for the Derby would get you wet or killed this year.  Since everyone has to walk, very few are roaming, but tomorrow if guys can get on with wheelers that could be something entirely different. The kinds of equipment on the backs of trucks tell me many had no clue about the conditions this year.  We raised awareness, hopefully the rest of the weekend will be incident free.
Tony

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1244 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:22 PM »
I believe the firestorm on social media most likely saved lives this weekend.  There are places on Schroon that normally would be safe for the Derby would get you wet or killed this year.  Since everyone has to walk, very few are roaming, but tomorrow if guys can get on with wheelers that could be something entirely different. The kinds of equipment on the backs of trucks tell me many had no clue about the conditions this year.  We raised awareness, hopefully the rest of the weekend will be incident free.

Absolutely, you've provided a great service to many thought out the year (myself included).  Know everyone's heart was/is in the right place.  It does seem like it might not have been malicious or greedy decision by the club though and just different assumptions about where the ice would be by today than many one here thought. Seems like they were generally right, even if only by dumb luck.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1245 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:43 PM »
I will bite my tongue about the Internet reports.
Glad folks are fishing , having fun and hopefully a safe return. Thanks for all those in concern.

Might just pull all my gear back together. I'm a boots on the ground guy and it's getting mighty cold again

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1246 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Saw all the internet drama going on and just had to take a drive over today to check it out. Didn't get there until about 3:00, but I only saw about 30-40 people on the lake. Not much going on anywhere, really kind of dead at all the lakes. The ice looked safe from the road today, couldn't see any open water, like all of the Champlain valley lakes have. Everyone use good judgement and stay safe!

Offline Jasonhammell1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1247 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:08 PM »
Anyone fish there today that can give me a report on thickness accessibility and where to go thank you

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1248 on: Mar 05, 2017, 04:58 AM »
on facebook this morning one group coming off had one guy go through up to his neck. be safe

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1249 on: Mar 05, 2017, 05:11 AM »
on facebook this morning one group coming off had one guy go through up to his neck. be safe

Several reports of people falling in on the way off, including the one you mentioned.  way below zero this morning, should be better, just be careful.
Tony

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1250 on: Mar 05, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Glad every 1 made it off even if the got wet hope these cold temps helped but man still sketchy hope no one else gets soggy and hope that the event organizers are satisfied and sleep well they got there money and only a few people got wet......
Hope u can pick up on the sarcasm

Online ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1251 on: Mar 05, 2017, 07:26 AM »

That must have been a bit uncomfortable  :o  .....  i know i cringe when my pool is below 75  ;D

Can't say they weren't warned
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline fisherbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1252 on: Mar 05, 2017, 07:41 AM »
Great information on this thread guys!!!  I know it was sketchy but the guys that went out appear to have been rewarded.....

42+ inch 20# Pike with a 35" right underneath it.....

Definitely impressive catches and glad everyone got in and out safe yesterday... I imagine today won't be an issue as the shores had to lock up with these super cold temps last night!

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1253 on: Mar 05, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Great information on this thread guys!!!  I know it was sketchy but the guys that went out appear to have been rewarded.....

42+ inch 20# Pike with a 35" right underneath it.....

Definitely impressive catches and glad everyone got in and out safe yesterday... I imagine today won't be an issue as the shores had to lock up with these super cold temps last night!

where are you getting that info from?  I'd like to see the full leader board.  Pretty amazing that someone seems to find a 20+ pike each year!

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1254 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:06 AM »
where are you getting that info from?  I'd like to see the full leader board.  Pretty amazing that someone seems to find a 20+ pike each year!

http://schroonlakefishandgame.com/icefishingderby
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1255 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:35 AM »
http://schroonlakefishandgame.com/icefishingderby

Thanks.  I am fishing Tuesday, if anyone has suggestions on where the best refrozen access is id greatly appreciate it! Planning on the narrows as someone mentioned they walked on there yesterday and it starts off very shallow for a bit.

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1256 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:48 AM »
Wow any body hear or felt that under water wave about a half hour ago. Crazy moved my shanty few inches never heard or felt anything like it. Almost like earth quake lol

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1257 on: Mar 05, 2017, 04:46 PM »
Wow any body hear or felt that under water wave about a half hour ago. Crazy moved my shanty few inches never heard or felt anything like it. Almost like earth quake lol

Yup...i was out there...in the narrows.  it was like riding a surf board for about 3 seconds!!  heard it coming....and listened to it "roll" all the way to the North end.

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1258 on: Mar 05, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Yep it was in The Narrows it's scared my wife off the ice lol

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1259 on: Mar 05, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Glad every 1 made it off even if the got wet hope these cold temps helped but man still sketchy hope no one else gets soggy and hope that the event organizers are satisfied and sleep well they got there money and only a few people got wet......
Hope u can pick up on the sarcasm
Seriously, you're criticizing the organizers? Give me a break! Its each individuals responsibility to decide whether its safe for them to go on the ice, nobody forced them. Going through the ice is ALWAYS a risk you take when ice fishing, regardless of how much ice there is.  Who's responsible for the guy going swimming on Harris Bay last week, there wasn't any derby there?
This is one of the biggest problems with our society today, someone is always looking for others to blame for what happens to them. Take responsibility for your own actions and their consequences.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.