New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429711 times)

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #1200 on: Mar 03, 2017, 01:09 PM »
They should at least hold some type of bbq cookout and give some prizes every hour and cash payouts like any other tourney would do

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1201 on: Mar 03, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Just getting back from being out of town all day, I see the open areas have iced over, but not enough to walk on.  There is a traffic jam at the end of Fowler, guys with 4wheelers expecting to get on I guess.  Spoke with a State Forest Ranger, he said he didn't know where people were going to get on, cause the edges are bad.  To make matters worse it is snowing lightly, if it continues that would cover up all the bad areas, what a mess!  I'll be at the town dock in the morning with my coffee watching this performance.
Tony

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1202 on: Mar 03, 2017, 02:37 PM »
That sounds like an iffy situation at best....keep us posted Tony...I'll be on Winni but will be checking to see how things shake out.

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1203 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:24 PM »
nice job guys, no doubt this thread saves a life or two. the scary part is the only ones who will be out there are clueless to their paroles. best read on here in a long time.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1204 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Just saw this from DEC:
DEC Advises Ice Anglers and Others About Poor Ice Conditions

Ice anglers and others thinking of traversing the frozen surface of waters in the Adirondacks and other locations should be aware that due to the recent number of days with warm temperatures and rain, ice has thinned.

Areas of ice around inlets, outlets and shorelines of largely open water or thin ice should be avoided. Rivers, streams and most channels of moving water through lakes and ponds are also open or covered with thin ice and should be avoided.

Ice near boathouses and docks, especially those using "bubblers" or other ice prevention devices, should also be avoided. Motor vehicles, snowmobiles and ATVs should not be taken on any ice at this time.

No ice should be considered safe without checking the thickness and condition of the ice first. If you plan to go on the ice, be safe on the ice.

ice on lake

I got to believe if DEC had it's way nobody would be on Schroon tomorrow, then again, part of me doesn't want any more government interference in our lives, too much already.  Torn.
Tony

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1205 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:42 PM »
Just getting back from being out of town all day, I see the open areas have iced over, but not enough to walk on.  There is a traffic jam at the end of Fowler, guys with 4wheelers expecting to get on I guess.  Spoke with a State Forest Ranger, he said he didn't know where people were going to get on, cause the edges are bad.  To make matters worse it is snowing lightly, if it continues that would cover up all the bad areas, what a mess!  I'll be at the town dock in the morning with my coffee watching this performance.

Thanks for your help.  Hopefully in the end, AMH518 will come on here and gloat and say she told us so, and nobody goes through.  In the end I'd like to think someone was prevented from at least going in.  The icing over is good news, bad news.  Hopefully people can walk out.  But also hope people don't just go out blindly.  Hope you can enjoy your coffee tomorrow in peace.
I love clipboard man

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1206 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Mods, Jon and everyone else, thank you for your info, efforts and the restraint shown in responding to the club representative. I find it absolutely amazing that any organization would allow the sort of vulgarity used last night against Jon. Well done, bud. You have a cool head under fire. My girlfriend lives in Chestertown and knows many of the members. Her response upon hearing about this was the same as mine...they've received our last penny of support. Shame things like this have to happen. Greed is a terrible thing.

I'll spend my time prepping tackle for the new(to me) boat I just bought.

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1207 on: Mar 03, 2017, 04:02 PM »
If the snow continues there will def be multiple fall ins if not deaths , I saw the vegas line for Schroon and the over and under was at 6 1/2
I'm betting on the over
 :'( :'( :'( :o

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1208 on: Mar 03, 2017, 04:30 PM »
A disgrace to our sport !!!!!!!! Never saw 1 organization do this before and hope to never see it again !!!!!!
BE SAFE !!!!!!!!

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1209 on: Mar 03, 2017, 05:19 PM »
yep, probably already spent the prepaid tourney entries

My thoughts too, I'm sure this is not a 100% pay out tourney. Poor management likely allowed the money to be spent.

Offline WADuckman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1210 on: Mar 03, 2017, 05:44 PM »

Tony,

What time? I'm in town it will be fun to have someone to enjoy the show with.

Will
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."

Zane Grey

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1211 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Will I usually get to Stewarts around 6:30-7:00.  Look for a dark red Ford 250 Superduty.
Tony

Offline WADuckman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1212 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:05 PM »
Tony,

I have a white Acadia I will see you then.

Will
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."

Zane Grey

Offline RedneckofLatham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1213 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Their lack of concern about the people fishing had totally turned me off. In the past i always enjoyed the schroon tournament but ffom now on i will no longer register to fish in their derby

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1214 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:19 PM »
Just got home from Schroon, picked up my groups pre-paid entries.  F&G Club thinks things are fine and dandy.  The guy in the bait shop told me they sold over 500 tickets.  The water is higher than it's been all week, and the little bit of skim ice and the snow on top of it , make it now more dangerous.  Keep us posted on the circus Tony, I'm going to Blue Mt. Lake.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1215 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Just got home from Schroon, picked up my groups pre-paid entries.  F&G Club thinks things are fine and dandy.  The guy in the bait shop told me they sold over 500 tickets.  The water is higher than it's been all week, and the little bit of skim ice and the snow on top of it , make it now more dangerous.  Keep us posted on the circus Tony, I'm going to Blue Mt. Lake.
Beyond belief Bill, will do, good luck on Blue.
Tony

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1216 on: Mar 03, 2017, 08:10 PM »
How much ice is on blue mountain? Bill

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1217 on: Mar 03, 2017, 08:49 PM »

Good luck! 

Tony if I wasn't fishing I'd be joining for the coffee and the show....

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1218 on: Mar 03, 2017, 08:57 PM »
If the shore is locked up now and it is this cold, do you suppose some people might be able to walk out tomorrow?  I'm not going, just curious. Ive been planning on getting back out after the weekend with this cold weather.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1219 on: Mar 04, 2017, 04:15 AM »
How much ice is on blue mountain? Bill

Good morning, haven't been on it for two weeks, then it was about 20 inches.  Gonna walk out and see how it looks.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1220 on: Mar 04, 2017, 04:23 AM »
If the shore is locked up now and it is this cold, do you suppose some people might be able to walk out tomorrow?  I'm not going, just curious. Ive been planning on getting back out after the weekend with this cold weather.

When i was there at 5:00 yesterday afternoon, the shoreline was not locked up, it had some skim ice, with new snow on it.  It all depends on how much snow gets on it.  We have had on and off snow squalls late yesterday afternoon, and last night.  I live in Indian Lake, and we had a couple of inches of new snow.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1221 on: Mar 04, 2017, 04:45 AM »
-1 below here at my place, must be low single numbers in town. Just a dusting of snow, enough to hide things.  If I was going out, and I'm not, I'd want to really see what I was walking on. There might be enough skim ice to walk on, but you know what's going to happen. Some guy is going to try to get on with a quad, break through, and now your limited access is shot.  Someone told me on Fb last night that the east shore is better since the winds pushed the ice up against shore yesterday.  That sounds safe, moving blocks of ice connected by skim ice.  This should be interesting.
Tony

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #1222 on: Mar 04, 2017, 05:28 AM »

I love ice fishing but not on your life would I try to get out on that ice, it's formula for a disaster! :cookoo:

IW

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1223 on: Mar 04, 2017, 06:27 AM »
Bad ice + schroon lake = waste of time ... ;D ;D

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1224 on: Mar 04, 2017, 06:37 AM »
Hope every 1 trying schroon today stays dry not a good day to get wet.

Jon ur a better man than I am, I woulda prolly been ban from the site arguing with who z what's it,had a hard time biting my tongue.

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1225 on: Mar 04, 2017, 06:50 AM »
Was able to walk on. East side, north of Adirondack.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline saltr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1226 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:41 AM »
Would you mind telling where you parked? Thanks.

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1227 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Would you mind telling where you parked? Thanks.

Sorry. Private access point. Permission from landowner only.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1228 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:25 AM »
Thought this week would be the last hurrah, but the ten day forcast is looking very good again!

Offline saltr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1229 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:43 AM »
I understand adkr. thanks anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.