New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429683 times)

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #1050 on: Feb 28, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Here are the latest posts from the Schroon Lake Fish & Game Club Ice Fishing Derby on their Fb page;
"I will be posting this again due to many still asking about the ice conditions.

The ice fishing derby still is and will be open for this weekend! We have NEVER cancelled it and never will UNLESS there is not enough ice on schroon lake of course. In an event if this were to ever happen, we would make sure to let everyone know. Otherwise the derby is still open! Once again there is still more than enough ice on schroon lake for fishing. See you all this weekend!!

Any questions please let us know or call 518-532-7953

Thank you!

Another post;
 Shore lines have been pushed out due to the river raising the lake. The water should be back down and the shorelines back to normal by the weekend as it has been going down. The lake still has at least if not more than 12" of ice to fish. Again the derby will NOT be cancelled. This is nothing new. Everyone use their own discretion when fishing on the lake. Thank you!

hahahahahaha!  good luck with that!!!
I love clipboard man

Offline jdwyer85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1051 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Can't get on paradox to much water even with a 16' plank

Has anyone entered ice from Fowler road lately? That's usually where I enter from.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1052 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:22 AM »
hahahahahaha!  good luck with that!!!

X2 unless they release a ton of water, and keep releasing it during the derby...

Offline jeep528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1053 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:28 AM »

Another post;
 Shore lines have been pushed out due to the river raising the lake. The water should be back down and the shorelines back to normal by the weekend as it has been going down. The lake still has at least if not more than 12" of ice to fish. Again the derby will NOT be cancelled. This is nothing new. Everyone use their own discretion when fishing on the lake. Thank you!
[/quote]

Very confident are we.  With more rain and 70 degree weather you might want to wait to make the final call.

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1054 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:56 AM »
If jeep528 is hesitant on going out I would say the ice isn't safe!

I can't believe that they are keeping the tourney on with these conditions.  The problem is you get the guys that come up, see ice and drive there trucks out like they have every other year and go through.  People don't use there head half the time....I'm very surprised they aren't cancelling.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1055 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:08 AM »
If jeep528 is hesitant on going out I would say the ice isn't safe!

I can't believe that they are keeping the tourney on with these conditions.  The problem is you get the guys that come up, see ice and drive there trucks out like they have every other year and go through.  People don't use there head half the time....I'm very surprised they aren't cancelling.

Unless they're doing a dukes of hazzard jump, there will be no trucks out there.  Without a doubt, the ice is fine, if you can get to it.  But they're going to need a ferry service to get people on it.  Ahhh anything to make a buck.
I love clipboard man

Online ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1056 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:31 AM »
Unless they're doing a dukes of hazzard jump, there will be no trucks out there.  Without a doubt, the ice is fine, if you can get to it.  But they're going to need a ferry service to get people on it.  Ahhh anything to make a buck.

Might mean less people fishing and a better chance of winning the derby  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1057 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Has anyone entered ice from Fowler road lately? That's usually where I enter from.
there a pic of fowler ave 1 page back,it's not looing good bring a boat to get to the ice

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1058 on: Feb 28, 2017, 12:51 PM »
Checked out the lake again today, this time all the way to Adirondack. Worse than yesterday, lake continues to rise, fishing dock ramp that was exposed yesterday is now under water.  Go back a page or so to my pix from yesterday and imagine more water.  Yesterday there was a rescue call off Adirondack, someone went through. He got out alright.  South basin doesn't look good to me, holes of open water, cracks opened up and wider, ice darker.  Derby organizers still say it will be fine by this weekend.   If you do go out, wear a flotation devise and bring extra clothes.   I'll go shed hunting.
Tony

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1059 on: Feb 28, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Not sure what that club/website has to gain but it seems irresponsible to promote fishing on ice with the described conditions above. Seriously not OK. "Schroon Lake Fish & Game" ? If anyone goes in and has to be rescued, or worse, it's on their hands. Very irresponsible. /rant

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1060 on: Feb 28, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Not sure what that club/website has to gain but it seems irresponsible to promote fishing on ice with the described conditions above. Seriously not OK. "Schroon Lake Fish & Game" ? If anyone goes in and has to be rescued, or worse, it's on their hands. Very irresponsible. /rant

Agreed
Tony

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1061 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:48 PM »
If you're not too heavy and have decent balance it is possible to float yourself across an open gap in a sled with enough volume. I'm not recommending this for everyone, just introducing it as a possible option for some.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1062 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:51 PM »
Agreed

Conditions were bad the day you took pics.  I appreciate you continuing to check...if the cancel the derby I may go one more time.  If not see you next year schroon!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1063 on: Feb 28, 2017, 05:17 PM »
Would also be a good business venture to offer ferry rides from shore to ice with a 14' Jon boat :)

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1064 on: Feb 28, 2017, 05:32 PM »
If you're not too heavy and have decent balance it is possible to float yourself across an open gap in a sled with enough volume. I'm not recommending this for everyone, just introducing it as a possible option for some.

...and your gear...? Assuming you are fishing, of course. Why else would you cross open water in a jet sled? I mean c'mon....
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1065 on: Feb 28, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Was gonna go up with waders today but decided to take the boat out instead. Glad I did as the jerkbait bite was awesome

Offline rugerone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1066 on: Feb 28, 2017, 06:55 PM »
Anyone consider using drones

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1067 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Yeah i love fishing but to Keep the Tournament on is Dumb and i hope everyone uses their heads no fish is worth Your life.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #1068 on: Mar 01, 2017, 06:09 AM »
Unfortunately a group of us already rented a few cabins, so we'll be going up anyway.   I have a feeling we'll be BBQing on shore rather than on the ice. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1069 on: Mar 01, 2017, 06:16 AM »
Same here already committed to a rental house
I'm bringing my 14 footer so I no I'll be getting on the ice safely

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1070 on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:29 AM »
Same here bed and breakfast already rented for 2 days do you want to rent out that 14-footer LOL

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1071 on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:42 AM »
I might pack the kayak just incase....   lol

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1072 on: Mar 01, 2017, 10:53 AM »
Not entirely sure about the conditions of the ice on schroon but 40 minutes south this was 10" of once solid ice. The rain and air has compromised the integrity.  No way your using a pick to get back on top of ice like this.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #1073 on: Mar 01, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Not entirely sure about the conditions of the ice on schroon but 40 minutes south this was 10" of once solid ice. The rain and air has compromised the integrity.  No way your using a pick to get back on top of ice like this.

full candle.   thats killer ice right there.  thanks for the heads-up.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1074 on: Mar 01, 2017, 11:13 AM »
It didn't get to that point until 10:15 today. I kicked a 4 inch hole open, that turned into a 24" hole. Needles to say I made a quick video to show that the thickness means nothing and I tip toed back to shore.  I don't even think cold weather will heal it. It's too poreus now.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1075 on: Mar 01, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Most dangerous ice there is for sure.  My experience is if it's cloudy and below 32 that will fish all day.  If it's sunny all bets are off even below freezing. 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1076 on: Mar 01, 2017, 12:09 PM »

That's all honeycombed. Guess it will just be a weekend of bbqing and drinking....    lol

Offline jeep528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1077 on: Mar 01, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Any new pictures of the lake and the conditions

Offline walleye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1078 on: Mar 01, 2017, 01:35 PM »
First off 40 minutes south makes a huge difference in terms of temperature and lake conditions. Lake george is only 30 minutes away and couldn't even freeze solid this winter and Schroon has over a foot of ice. With the cold temps tonight through this weekend the shorelines and everything else will become solid once again.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #1079 on: Mar 01, 2017, 01:42 PM »
First off 40 minutes south makes a huge difference in terms of temperature and lake conditions. Lake george is only 30 minutes away and couldn't even freeze solid this winter and Schroon has over a foot of ice. With the cold temps tonight through this weekend the shorelines and everything else will become solid once again.

Elevation and snow cover are the answers you are looking for.  Most likely the lake will be solid again, right? most likely the edges will button up, right?   Do you think anyone will find an old shanty hole, or a weak spot from an incoming creek or put a machine through?   

Those are some fun question marks for tourney insurers and tourney organizers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.