New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429724 times)

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #990 on: Feb 22, 2017, 05:08 AM »
There's one in the village too!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #991 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:02 AM »
Anyone ever get any big northerns there? Or trout?

you can add giant perch and crappies to that list too  ;)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #992 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:42 AM »
you can add giant perch and crappies to that list too  ;)

Never caught any of those there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #993 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Never caught any of those there.

Must not exist then  :P

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #994 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Must not exist then  :P

there's a gorgeous camp for sale just down from the causeway, and past the first point.  I think they want $300k for it.   I used to stay there when I was younger.   Good friend of mine from school, his family owns it.   I learned a lot at that lake.   Learned how to troll leadcore for browns.   How to target big perch and crappie in the summer.   How to use a flasher in the winter.  How to use super light ice blue rods to catch finicky giant perch in the winter.  I drilled my first hole with a nils hand auger on that lake.   Eagle and me got a lil' history.  ;)

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #995 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Big fish are in there, it's finding them that's the hard part!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #996 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Big fish are in there, it's finding them that's the hard part!

The specific patterns that work in that lake are unreal.   Its like they have a PhD. 

Offline tree-on

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #997 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:45 AM »
Fish 307 or Crossroads
Was at crossroads on Sunday, generous with his bait count. And they have food and drinks.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #998 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:11 AM »
The specific patterns that work in that lake are unreal.   Its like they have a PhD.

I know big fish are in there. How we catch the big bass in the summer there is like no other... I believe it has to do with the water clarity of that lake which is insane. We have caught largemouths as big as 7.6lbs there... I'm surprised to hear it has big perch and crappie tho. Only started fishing the lake 2 years ago, and have learned a crazy amount from it just by scanning the lake....fish are everywhere it seems but there are hot spots.

And the weed beds in that crazy are rediculous. I have never seen weeds so green in my life....they look fake. They hold a boat load of fish too. We caught some giant bullhead in the summer in the weeds too... that was interesting.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #999 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:20 AM »
I like fishing Eagle, always good ice, and the Brown Trout out of there are delicious.  We've caught them suspended and on bottom.  Best fishing for us has always been before or during a storm.  Had my share of dreadfully slow days when bright and sunny there as well. My experience has been icicles and hunts will outfish shiners for the browns.  Remember limiting out (old limit 10) on browns during a snowy day years ago. Wish I had better access to the big side, best spots are a long walk, and my hips are shot. Never caught a crappie there, I think they're a myth, like a yeti!   ;) ;) ;)
Tony

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1000 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:24 AM »
I like fishing Eagle, always good ice, and the Brown Trout out of there are delicious.  We've caught them suspended and on bottom.  Best fishing for us has always been before or during a storm.  Had my share of dreadfully slow days when bright and sunny there as well. My experience has been icicles and hunts will outfish shiners for the browns.  Remember limiting out (old limit 10) on browns during a snowy day years ago. Wish I had better access to the big side, best spots are a long walk, and my hips are shot. Never caught a crappie there, I think they're a myth, like a yeti!   ;) ;) ;)

From the bait I have seen in there it makes sense why they prefer hunts and iciles so much. We have physcsly seen schools of baby browns cruising in the summer, but have never targeted them. Always went there for a easy day if. Ass fishing after I got sick of Champlain lol. There Hastings some giant pike in there tho... we never seem to get away from those 25-30"ers there tho.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1001 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:38 AM »
From the bait I have seen in there it makes sense why they prefer hunts and iciles so much. We have physcsly seen schools of baby browns cruising in the summer, but have never targeted them. Always went there for a easy day if. Ass fishing after I got sick of Champlain lol. There Hastings some giant pike in there tho... we never seem to get away from those 25-30"ers there tho.

This is the 1000th reply on this tread, shouldn't you be given free minnows or something!   ;D
Tony

Offline biggmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1002 on: Feb 22, 2017, 02:44 PM »
heading up Friday fishing the north end hopefully not to sloppy for the weekend

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1003 on: Feb 22, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Next four days looks like nail in  ice fishing contest coffin?? Rain and 60 degrees!!! Hope not but looks Grimm!

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1004 on: Feb 22, 2017, 05:40 PM »
How do the narrows look for ice

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1005 on: Feb 22, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Bring a kayak with ya after this week 😥😥😥

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1006 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:41 PM »
Caught a crappie in my aluminum boat on the small side one summer.  Some giant pike there

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1007 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:57 PM »
Anyone have any info on ice at Putnam pond ?
Go big or go home

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1008 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:41 AM »
Theres definetly big crappie on Eagle.  I ran into a mother load of them 3 years ago ice fishing a spot I had never seen anyone fishing.  I made the mistake of telling the wrong person and the next time I went there, there were 13 guys fishing them.  Within 2 years that spot was wiped out and now not a crappie to be found in that area......stupid mouth.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1009 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Schroon Lake conditions mid day Thurs.  I think the days of driving a truck or car are shot.  Mid 50's right now, with sun. Quite a few guys out there today.  Depends on how much rain we get Sat.  If only 1/2 inch ok, if we get 1-2", then the lake will significantly rise, screwing up the edges. Night time temps next week forecasted to be in the mid teens.
Tony

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1010 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:39 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Is it slushy?  Trying to decide on atv or sled for tomorrow?

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1011 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:33 PM »

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1012 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:36 PM »
eagle lake both pictures

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #1013 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:42 PM »
Any info on Paradox? Coming from south and only got to fish the Challenge this year due to no safe ice here. I'm aware of the temps I just want to make sure the edges are good and I can access it. I'm assuming it'll be ok considering Schroon is still holding up.

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1014 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Any info on Paradox? Coming from south and only got to fish the Challenge this year due to no safe ice here. I'm aware of the temps I just want to make sure the edges are good and I can access it. I'm assuming it'll be ok considering Schroon is still holding up.

Checked it yesterday but didn't go out to far lot of snow on the lake unknown bout today ice was around 12 inches

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1015 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:55 PM »

I measured 16" of ice on tuesday.  Most of the snow has melted maybe 3 inches of soft snow/ ice on top of the good ice.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1016 on: Feb 24, 2017, 02:57 AM »
How do the narrows look for ice

pm me Shawn.  You need to delete some messages in your inbox, it's full, and won't allow anyone to send you anything.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #1017 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Anyone want to meet up on Schroon or Paradox tmrw? I want to head up with my dad if there's safe ice. I'd really like to get him out before he's not able to anymore :/

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1018 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Had a decent day on the water. Two lakers (one keeper) and a bunch of small perch.

On a side note to the locals.... South of the launch in Schroon there is a small one or two man black homemade shanty on skis. Trying to track down the owner. No name or number on it. It broke loose around 2pm and the wind blew it all the way over towards some open water. It was close to going in, so we dragged it over to the launch and put it on the beach. If anyone knows the owner please let then know.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1019 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:55 PM »
Edges are starting to recede.
Still sleds and wheelers out there but they are tearing up some of the walkers access

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.