New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429700 times)

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #900 on: Feb 04, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Nice Salmon
I was out on Schroon today and jigged 8 Lakers with 4 being over18 up to 23in, my tip ups didn't do a dam thing today , not even a wind flag lol
Seems the morning bite was much better than the afternoon , I had one fish after 12 and packed it in at 2:30
All fish caught in 35-45 feet very close to the bottom

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #901 on: Feb 04, 2017, 05:56 PM »
i had about 5 chasers couldn't make them commit today and the one nice one I messed up on cause i wasn't paying attention and missed the hook set lol... also almost lost the pop-up today... when the first gust of wind kicked up this afternoon shanty almost went for a ride.... didn't have it anchored down... last time i won't anchor at least the inside corners down

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #902 on: Feb 04, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Awesome salmon.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #903 on: Feb 04, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Any snow on the south end guys?

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #904 on: Feb 04, 2017, 06:05 PM »
Nice Salmon, I'll be out there tomorrow!  :tipup:

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #905 on: Feb 04, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Any snow on the south end guys?

Was down there today, just enough snow to ride a machine.
Tony

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #906 on: Feb 04, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Nice fish!

Headed that way solo tomorrow, if anyone else is in the same boat and wants to meet up drop me a PM.

Offline Calciumsoda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #907 on: Feb 05, 2017, 06:35 AM »
Nice salmon. We hit the Nothern end and the action was slow.

Offline JneedsNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #908 on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:50 PM »
 Very slow on the south end, been out all morning only managed one jigging and one smallmouth on a tip up. ...

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #909 on: Feb 05, 2017, 01:04 PM »
Laker/perch bite seemed on until like 9am then lake was dead.

Still haven't had a tip up fish on this lake. I may stop bothering with them!

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #910 on: Feb 05, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Fished south basin Sat.  10" good ice, inch of white ice, east shore.   2 Lake trout, one jigging with a gold & black buckshot spoon.  One fat keeper sized Laker 6ft under ice in 28fow on an icicle.  No salmon.  Just an inch or so of snow, lots of snowmobilers, no problems with the pressure ridges I guess.
Tony

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #911 on: Feb 05, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Went out today from around 8-12 managed about. 6 4-6" perch a handful of smelt and jogged up 1 laker on my ultra light came in short 17.5" all captured are still swimming

Offline RedMister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #912 on: Feb 05, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Over the years, I've heard about and watched some folks pull up lakers after Laker. On Friday, I finally caught my first Laker, actually my first two, on Schroon. First time ice fishing Schroon, and was my second time ever being on the lake. I'm pretty happy with the lakers I caught, even though they were 18"-20". They still swim. Some guys I've talked too say they were decent size. How big do they get in Schroon? Average size is?
Salmon is next.

Offline tee149

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #913 on: Feb 06, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Took my first trip up to Schroon on Sunday, landed my first laker on a tip up set at 20 fow in an area of 40 fow. Always wanted to try can catch one while jigging, had several fish interested but no takers....Anyone recommend any particular lures or colors? I tried white tube baits, swim baits, lipless rattlebaits like the rapala clackin rap, and Swedish pimples. Sunday seemed very slow as I didn't notice anyone else catching any trout around me. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Will probably go back up this weekend....even though I didn't land one with my jig pole, I'm officially hooked!!
Thanks,
Will

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #914 on: Feb 07, 2017, 03:29 AM »
.I was out Saturday We got 1 flag 22"salmon   Jigged some perch and a baby laker. Lots of ice
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline WADuckman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #915 on: Feb 07, 2017, 05:11 AM »
Took my first trip up to Schroon on Sunday, landed my first laker on a tip up set at 20 fow in an area of 40 fow. Always wanted to try can catch one while jigging, had several fish interested but no takers....Anyone recommend any particular lures or colors? I tried white tube baits, swim baits, lipless rattlebaits like the rapala clackin rap, and Swedish pimples. Sunday seemed very slow as I didn't notice anyone else catching any trout around me. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Will probably go back up this weekend....even though I didn't land one with my jig pole, I'm officially hooked!!
Thanks,
Will

I did the same thing this weekend had a great time on the lake. Marked fish from my first hole till my last they would chase but not commit. I'm sure I was doing something wrong or they didn't like the jigs I was using.The only advice I can as is a few guys on this list  talking about a #3 white pimple being their lure of choice.Sadly that was the only thing I didn't have in the tackle box. And like you I am now hooked and can't wait to get back up there.
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."

Zane Grey

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #916 on: Feb 07, 2017, 05:28 AM »
I've only made it out on Schroon once this year.
I tried a handful of different things and one jigged worked all day when nothing else produced.
The Keitech (sp?) Vibragrub. They've got them at 307.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #917 on: Feb 07, 2017, 06:40 AM »
nice looking salmon!!

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #918 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:49 AM »
I've only made it out on Schroon once this year.
I tried a handful of different things and one jigged worked all day when nothing else produced.
The Keitech (sp?) Vibragrub. They've got them at 307.  ;D
\
ahhh the toungs (thats what weve been calling them the last few years.) they do work really well at lake george also. And they happen to be great drop shot baits as well.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #919 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:55 AM »
Seems like I may be fishing too deep... from everything I'm reading you guys seem to be in 40 fow or less I've been in the 40-60 fow range hmmm

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #920 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Seems like I may be fishing too deep... from everything I'm reading you guys seem to be in 40 fow or less I've been in the 40-60 fow range hmmm
I had a hard time getting to where I wanted to be a couple weeks ago.
It left me stuck jigging in 25fow until I had the nads to cross a ridge.
I was shocked to put one on the ice and have multiple other fish follow me to just under the ice. The difficulty I have with shallow trout jigging is running out of room on the chase up.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #921 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:02 AM »
i stick to the 60 foot range also, but with that said the bigger lakers have been evading me. Maybe they're swimming shallower waters.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #922 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:18 AM »
I had a hard time getting to where I wanted to be a couple weeks ago.
It left me stuck jigging in 25fow until I had the nads to cross a ridge.
I was shocked to put one on the ice and have multiple other fish follow me to just under the ice. The difficulty I have with shallow trout jigging is running out of room on the chase up.

Running out of room is my #1 reason not to fish 20-30 fow.  I did run out of finder battery last week though and sight fished for 1.5-2 hours in 10-12 feet and was surprised how many came in to look at my jig.  If you've never done that its pretty cool to see, i just lay down with my face over the hole and pull my hood over to block any excess light and jig as deep as i can still see it on the bottom (15 fow in schroon).  when the lakers show up, first thing you notice is the white on their fins, much like brookies.  Other then that they blend in remarkably.  Got four to chase but as i would pull it up they would chase toward the ice but never reach that second gear chase speed that everyone loves to see in the finder.  I think part of that is there is not enough distance for them to get up to speed/ commit.  Not that they always act like that, but just want i observed that day.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #923 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:19 AM »
I don't think there's one all the time magic depth there.   Some spots I've done great in 70 FOW there, other spots slammed 'em at 30 feet.    Never done well deeper than 75 feet there, but thats not to say they won't be in those deeper areas at times.   

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #924 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:37 AM »
I don't think there's one all the time magic depth there.   Some spots I've done great in 70 FOW there, other spots slammed 'em at 30 feet.    Never done well deeper than 75 feet there, but thats not to say they won't be in those deeper areas at times.
40 - 70 fow for me. You just have to be open minded. I've caught them on shore just under the ice, using tipups. Like said before, unless you find that magic bait, you run out of chasing room.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #925 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Went to Schroon today, mid lake. Thought about George but not with the current conditions.  Made the right choice.  Caught about 10 lakers and lost at least half as many.  Weirdly, the action only got better through the day, first 2 hours nada on the screen. Had to leave at 3:30 or I would have stayed most of the fish were caught in the last 2 hours. FYI no big fish though, just pups. Biggest was 19", most were 17-18".
Two things I've heard mentioned that I witnessed were first, when there are smelt on the screen, and they disappear more suddenly then usual, there's a reason. When this happened lakers showed within seconds.
Secondly,if you see a mark high in the water column, show it your lure.  Found a salmon today doing that, but I lost it at the hole.  Man can those fish pull drag fast! Not necessarily stronger then lakers but faster I think?

Fishmon

« Reply #926 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:00 AM »
Went to Schroon today, mid lake. Thought about George but not with the current conditions.  Made the right choice.  Caught about 10 lakers and lost at least half as many.  Weirdly, the action only got better through the day, first 2 hours nada on the screen. Had to leave at 3:30 or I would have stayed most of the fish were caught in the last 2 hours. FYI no big fish though, just pups. Biggest was 19", most were 17-18".
Two things I've heard mentioned that I witnessed were first, when there are smelt on the screen, and they disappear more suddenly then usual, there's a reason. When this happened lakers showed within seconds.
Secondly,if you see a mark high in the water column, show it your lure.  Found a salmon today doing that, but I lost it at the hole.  Man can those fish pull drag fast! Not necessarily stronger then lakers but faster I think?

Talledaga Fast! ;D

Offline JneedsNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #927 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:38 AM »
Sounds familiar to plenty of my experience, Spoondangler.   Lots of mornings, first light, i'll drill a hole and turn on the electronics immediately and will see salmon jetting 10-15ft below the ice. haven't had a taker, but it's clear that those high marks are fish!

My magic depth so far is 45'; just enough chasing room and a nice depth for a clear screen.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #928 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:23 AM »
U guys get any snow up that way last night /today?! Masons don't work in the snow ...they go fishing

Offline tee149

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #929 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:40 AM »
Might I ask what type of lure you were using?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.