New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429684 times)

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #810 on: Jan 28, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Anyone know how Paradox is looking?

When I fished it week and a half ago there was 13" ice, I'm sure it's fine.
Tony

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #811 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Had kind of a slow day today.  Me and a buddy landed 2 decent lakers but was out there for awhile.  Still couldn't find any decent size perch.  If anyone knows where I can find some decent size I would appreciate the advice? 
A bad day fishin still beats a good day at work!!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #812 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Had kind of a slow day today.  Me and a buddy landed 2 decent lakers but was out there for awhile.  Still couldn't find any decent size perch.  If anyone knows where I can find some decent size I would appreciate the advice?
Read the very first page. :)

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #813 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Slow today
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #814 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Anyone ever fish horseshoe pond? In the area of scroon did a big search and turned up nothing

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #815 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Caught 50 Nice Perch Today Mostly on Tip ups can't give my Spot away ..... Sorry

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #816 on: Jan 28, 2017, 09:16 PM »
When I fished it week and a half ago there was 13" ice, I'm sure it's fine.

Thanks so much!

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #817 on: Jan 29, 2017, 02:42 AM »
Anyone ever fish horseshoe pond? In the area of scroon did a big search and turned up nothing

I never fished it, but friends of mine have, 10 minute snowmobile ride from my cabin.  Pike, perch, and I think crappie.
Tony

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #818 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:24 AM »
Thanks boss wasn't just trying to figure out if it was worth it to bring the tip ups I appreciate it

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #819 on: Jan 29, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Does the bait shop on the strip have big shiners? Or just your typical pike bait?

Offline WADuckman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #820 on: Jan 29, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Did anyone get out this weekend for trout on the north end? If so how was the bite?
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."

Zane Grey

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #821 on: Jan 29, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Put a long day in yesterday (Saturday ) did good but a lot of smaller fish with only a few keepers in the mix to 22inches
Then fished half a day today and had two nice Lakers early then it died out for us so we packed it in by noon
Tip ups were quiet all weekend with only a few flags, the jigging was the way to go if ya wanted the action

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #822 on: Jan 29, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Today was so so. I managed to land 7 lakers jigging. All 7 were in between 18-20"s.  Couldn't find anything bigger. Only 1 of those fish was caught near bottom. Took a couple hours to notice that the fish were running about 20-25dt off bottom.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #823 on: Jan 29, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Today was so so. I managed to land 7 lakers jigging. All 7 were in between 18-20"s.  Couldn't find anything bigger. Only 1 of those fish was caught near bottom. Took a couple hours to notice that the fish were running about 20-25dt off bottom.

Back in the "old days", and when I say that I mean 70's to mid 90's, old timers would have their shanty towns on Schroon.  They would have their tipups pre set to 20-25 ft under the ice, with button markers, and they fished every day for Lakers that way.  Never sounded bottom, never fished bottom, always 20-25 ft under. Always caught fish, just sayin'   ;) ;) ;)
Tony

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #824 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:58 PM »
Saw a nice laker pulled out of 3 or 4 feet of water.   Belly was full of smelt and a 3" perch.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #825 on: Jan 29, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Saw a nice laker pulled out of 3 or 4 feet of water.   Belly was full of smelt and a 3" perch.
One year I had a hard shanty set up off Talichito Point, north end, right in the rocks there. After setting tip ups I went back in the shanty to warm up. Just for kicks I drilled a hole in the shanty, foot, maybe 2 of water, when a HUGE Lake Trout swam by. Grabbed my perch pole with a white sweedish pimple, but, too late.  The 20lb Pike that is in Pitkins Restaurant was caught by the owner, Randy, right in the rocks along the east shore below the Island.  I really don't think we ice fish the shorelines enough.
Tony

Offline Ketchan Raleese

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #826 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:04 PM »
I couldn't agree more SchrnLkr, So many times  while I am watching for flags on Raquette,I will jig up a Landlocked or Brookie, from a hole that I could almost fish from shore.Sometimes, I am standing on twice as much ice as water! With predation from birds and lethally-warm water not an issue under the ice, shallow water is wide open for trout
I need a miracle... every day!

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #827 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:15 PM »
Funny u Should say that i Fished sat North end Caught 2 nice Lakers on my perch Rigs in 10 foot of water only thing i can think is they were chasing the perch school Weird !!

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #828 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:30 PM »
Funny u Should say that i Fished sat North end Caught 2 nice Lakers on my perch Rigs in 10 foot of water only thing i can think is they were chasing the perch school Weird !!
That's the thing, I don't think it is weird.  When the Lakers are on the feed in Schroon you're more apt to catch them along the shorelines trying to trap schools of bait, or on the shallow perch beds going after them.  The key, imo, is "when they are on the feed".  When they are not, you're more apt to entice them on the deep water flats.
Tony

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #829 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:54 PM »
I will not let Schroon beat me... I will not let Schroon beat me. Just felt like venting, not looking for sympathy or anything. Only 3rd trip here, all in the last few weeks, so I know I'm still a newbie with tons to learn. But damn, I want one of her lakers.

Thought I had one today, flag goes on my deepest tip up, maybe 70' with a hunt right on the bottom. Hook what I know is a small fish, but hell, I'm not picky on size. Get it to the hole and it's a damn perch. What the heck. I'll be back. She will not beat me!!!

Offline Ketchan Raleese

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #830 on: Jan 29, 2017, 07:08 PM »
Good attitude AriettaBob! I've got a similar "grudge lake" near me. I never seem to do very well, just well enough to keep me going out. Every time is my last time. But, the only absolute in fishing is:100% of fishermen who stay home don't catch fish. Good Luck!
I need a miracle... every day!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #831 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10:45 PM »
I will not let Schroon beat me... I will not let Schroon beat me. Just felt like venting, not looking for sympathy or anything. Only 3rd trip here, all in the last few weeks, so I know I'm still a newbie with tons to learn. But damn, I want one of her lakers.

Thought I had one today, flag goes on my deepest tip up, maybe 70' with a hunt right on the bottom. Hook what I know is a small fish, but hell, I'm not picky on size. Get it to the hole and it's a damn perch. What the heck. I'll be back. She will not beat me!!!

Fished Schroon hard last year to learn it and catch my 1st laker. one thing ill share, which has been reiterated in the above posts,...the whole lake is cold enough for them during the ice season. Dont be afraid to go shallow....
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #832 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:03 AM »
Back in the "old days", and when I say that I mean 70's to mid 90's, old timers would have their shanty towns on Schroon.  They would have their tipups pre set to 20-25 ft under the ice, with button markers, and they fished every day for Lakers that way.  Never sounded bottom, never fished bottom, always 20-25 ft under. Always caught fish, just sayin'   ;) ;) ;)

I learned how to Ice Fish for lakers with my dear friend Butch in 2005 on Schroon. We too discovered that not only did we catch more fish setting our bait suspend 20' or so feet below the ice (regardless of depth) but the Lakers were always the bigger fish! We reasoned that the dinks we were catching jigging near bottom were hiding from the bigger fish so as to not get eaten! Lol! At any rate, regardless of where I'm fishing for lakers, it's always 20' down and it almost always pays off! I've since also learned to put some sets in very shallow with equally good results!
Good post Tony!  :)

MK

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #833 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:15 AM »

My revelation this year was how deep perch go.  In summer I'd never think to look for perch deep. 

Last weekend I had a flag pop, I ran up and the line was flying off the spool.  I set the hook and could feel some nice tugging on the line... I wasn't sure what was on it, but I figured it was something good.  A very ambitious 4" perch came out of the hole.  I think he had taken lessons from sunfish in the summer. ;D

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #834 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:18 AM »
I learned how to Ice Fish for lakers with my dear friend Butch in 2005 on Schroon. We too discovered that not only did we catch more fish setting our bait suspend 20' or so feet below the ice (regardless of depth) but the Lakers were always the bigger fish! We reasoned that the dinks we were catching jigging near bottom were hiding from the bigger fish so as to not get eaten! Lol! At any rate, regardless of where I'm fishing for lakers, it's always 20' down and it almost always pays off! I've since also learned to put some sets in very shallow with equally good results!
Good post Tony!  :)

MK

The ice is a great big convenient wall to pin smelt against.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #835 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:32 AM »
I was one of few idiots fishing off Eagle point yesterday.
Our nicest fish hit a tipup in 15fow before we had the nads to cross the pressure ridge out there.
There is a nasty stretch of open water out there. Many of you locals know, but I fear it's going to skim and be a death trap for anyone assuming there is 6" of ice all the way through that area just off shore. It put me on edge every time a sled came ripping through. I'd watch each one of them ready to jump out of my shack and go help someone.
Tough action. I jigged my butt off all day for 3 fish 18-20". For some odd reason. My largest jig stuck the only 3 fish. 1/4oz head with a secret plastic.
I won't be fooling around out there until it looks a lot better than it did yesterday. By then... We'll have ice on LG. 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #836 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:01 AM »
That ridge is pretty narly that's for sure Jamie.  If you walk north you can find somewhat decent spots to cross.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #837 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:18 AM »
That ridge is pretty narly that's for sure Jamie.  If you walk north you can find somewhat decent spots to cross.
I got to that ridge and my legs turned to rubber.
Tony was on the other side probably laughing at a few of the texts that won't be shared here.
I stuck one fish before I crossed it in 20fow or so. Set the hook a foot or so under the ice and had it on top with zero retrieve.
Has anyone noticed better luck with plastics as opposed to spoons? I'm still learning.
I had a harder time getting them to follow any pimples or buckshots. Big or small.
The few fish that I did catch all hit a plastic. I must've had 20 fish follow within 10' of the surface jigging a plastic bait. The spoons never got chased for more than 5 or 10'.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #838 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:23 AM »
Oddly.
The previous 2 years were the opposite now that I think of it.
The smallest pimple in the box got pounded every time I fished Schroon.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #839 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I will not let Schroon beat me... I will not let Schroon beat me. Just felt like venting, not looking for sympathy or anything.

If it makes you feel any better, it has a nickname:  Screw'em Lake.   The fish in the lake get funky at times.   Very frustrating lake until you can start putting patterns together.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.