New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429693 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #780 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:13 PM »
You tell them. You are obviously  obsessed with Marcum. It is all you talk about.  ;)

What is there to say about the FLX aside from 29 lakers were foolish enough to be caught in its delicious cone of death so far this season...  ;)

Shame on me for almost straying away from the wheel...  :'(

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #781 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:06 PM »
How come u went w marcum over vexilar

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #782 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:11 PM »
How come u went w marcum over vexilar

Because he's smart. Lx7 for the win  ;)
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #783 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:33 AM »
One day it was all I could get them to do.  Fun to watch with zoom on....and more fun because you get to really sting them rather than them catching the jig.
Yes! Still fun either way though. It's the most exciting bite to have, other than open water frog fishing for large and smallmouth bass. IMO   ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #784 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:44 AM »
Yes! Still fun either way though. It's the most exciting bite to have, other than open water frog fishing for large and smallmouth bass. IMO   ;D

Never had a 40lb striper destroy a jig or plug from shore have you?  Once I got into that it took buying a boat to get back into freshwater fishing. 

The lake trout definitely fill the gap while I wait for the stripers to return!

Adkrs please enjoy the endless bug fixes Marcum pushes out with your new friend Terry...Oh wait he said he won't update his...wonder why? 

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #785 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:35 AM »
Never had a 40lb striper destroy a jig or plug from shore have you?  Once I got into that it took buying a boat to get back into freshwater fishing. 

The lake trout definitely fill the gap while I wait for the stripers to return!

Adkrs please enjoy the endless bug fixes Marcum pushes out with your new friend Terry...Oh wait he said he won't update his...wonder why?

After fishing stripers in the hudson for the last 6 or 7 years i really want to get out to the ocean to try casting for them. Looks like a blast. Maybe ill run into you on schroon or lake george this season and pic your brain a little. Thinking about schroon on sunday i gotta get my totals up, 1day with 7 fish is unacceptable .

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #786 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:05 AM »
Forget stripers...   get out and experience an all out yellowfin tuna blitz  ;D

Who knows ... you might even get to see a 400 pound blue marlin come up and inhale a poor little mahi mahi that was being reeled in  @)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #787 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Absolutely...I've been out the past 6 weeks so I'm taking a break to get some family time in.  I'll be back up next weekend...probably stay in LG and figure out the plan from there.  Stripers are my favorite venue so I'm happy to discuss.

Ship, tuna are an obvious attractor and I could afford to go after them myself and I will after I put my kid through college...The problem with the fishery is you better be in the 40% or higher tax bracket or you can't play more than 1x a year..

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #788 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Absolutely...I've been out the past 6 weeks so I'm taking a break to get some family time in.  I'll be back up next weekend...probably stay in LG and figure out the plan from there.  Stripers are my favorite venue so I'm happy to discuss.

Ship, tuna are an obvious attractor and I could afford to go after them myself and I will after I put my kid through college...The problem with the fishery is you better be in the 40% or higher tax bracket or you can't play more than 1x a year..

I do the 100' party boat trips ....  3 days at sea for $500  ;D

I haven't done it in a few years but i'm due.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #789 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Ah well that's a bargin...are they jigging trips?  If so I may be down...I have a 20k Stella and trevala ready to go.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #790 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Ah well that's a bargin...are they jigging trips?  If so I may be down...I have a 20k Stella and trevala ready to go.

Definitely.

Here is the agenda. Leave the dock Morning #1 around 8AM and steam out 100+- miles to one of the canyons. They start in areas that have been producing fish or that have good sea temps showing on the charts. One we get out there we troll from 2 until dusk trying to catch fish but also looking for bait and fish to find a spot to anchor. We anchor at dusk and people jig or fish live bait until dawn and then we go on the troll all day on day 2, anchor all night again then troll in the morning on day 3 before heading back and hitting the dock at 4 or 5 pm on day 3.

When we troll it's typically 10 rods out and we rotate every 20 minutes. Each time it's your turn on the troll you move over one rod so you get a chance at all of the lures etc. When we hook up on the troll the boat stops and people throw jigs off the bow and often hook up. The early morning troll typically isn't fully manned because people are sleeping so it's a great time to hang out by the rods and if one goes off without the guy there it's fair game to grab it  ;D

We've caught yellowfin, bluefin and longfin tuna, mahi mahi, wahoo, blue and white marlin, swordfish, tilefish, tiger, mako and blue sharks and i am sure i am missing something ....  like squid which we catch and use for bait or cook in garlic and butter at 3 AM.

I think i just convinced myself to go again  @)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #791 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:38 AM »
I'm going to wait one or 2 more years and go on my own.  Two things I don't share...women and fish...the rotation turns me off! 

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #792 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:23 AM »
After fishing stripers in the hudson for the last 6 or 7 years i really want to get out to the ocean to try casting for them. Looks like a blast. Maybe ill run into you on schroon or lake george this season and pic your brain a little. Thinking about schroon on sunday i gotta get my totals up, 1day with 7 fish is unacceptable .
Hey I can talk stripers!!!

Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #793 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Back to ice fishing Schroon.  Took a ride around the lake this morning, fair amount of slush along the edges, State Launch behind Stewarts, Fowler, nothing that would keep you off the ice however. Still snow, few inches entire north basin and Narrows, with slush pockets, which should all freeze up soon.  South basin most of the snow is gone and the edges off East Shore drive actually look better than the north end.  No visible open areas that I could see from the road, but because of the recent mild spell I wouldn't go roaming around south basin yet.
Tony

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #794 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:35 AM »
After fishing stripers in the hudson for the last 6 or 7 years i really want to get out to the ocean to try casting for them. Looks like a blast.

it is.  here's a link to 42 minutes of saltwater striper smashing from one good day last year.  Love hooking a 20lb striper on 10lb test.

https://youtu.be/XuzyjZSGnQA

Offline Growler_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #795 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:52 AM »
I do the 100' party boat trips ....  3 days at sea for $500  ;D

I haven't done it in a few years but i'm due.

A group of guys from work book through the Helen H every year.  It's a blast and we always get into decent Tuna, couple years ago we got into some big eye, largest was #200+

On a side note I'm thinking of making the trip up there and trying for pike and possibly LLS/Trout.  Any advice for a first timer out there?  No need for hotspots just general info on current conditions and techniques that are successful as well as a decent bait shop for live bait nearby.  I don't think they would survive the drive from my local shops. 

I was thinking of using the Northern Boat launch for access, looks like there's a Stewarts Shops near it... Saw some structure near the access on Navionics Northeast of the launch and then a drop into 60'ish feet of water.  Was thinking about setting tip ups near the shallows and jigging for trout later in the day.  Would this technique be ok here or am I way off?  Thanks and tight lines all.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #796 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Did someone say stripers....I'm so obsessed I convinced someone to pay me to talk about them...a couple of times...

http://saltwateredge.com/blog/2010/04/22/big-swimmers-for-big-first-light-bass-at-the-canal-jon-spencer/

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #797 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:27 AM »

everybody mentions bugs...ive never had issues. only issue i have with with mine is the poor balance of the carry case if you use the handle. Unit leans forward and has the potential to fall out of the case, which is just a terrible design. Not sure how it got past r&d and field testing. I took mine out of the case and use the hard handle instead. Maybe this off season ill make a genz pack style case for it. After having a graph i could never go back. Vex needs to make a unit with a graph and maybe ill switch back
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #798 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:04 PM »
I'm breaking stones....I really don't have any vested interest in how Marcum perform outside of making fun of Fontana...

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #799 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Back to ice fishing Schroon.  Took a ride around the lake this morning, fair amount of slush along the edges, State Launch behind Stewarts, Fowler, nothing that would keep you off the ice however. Still snow, few inches entire north basin and Narrows, with slush pockets, which should all freeze up soon.  South basin most of the snow is gone and the edges off East Shore drive actually look better than the north end.  No visible open areas that I could see from the road, but because of the recent mild spell I wouldn't go roaming around south basin yet.

There's a good area of open water straight east of Eagle point.

One of these years, I'm going to do a trip with Coastal Charters Sportfishing.  3 person crew, chucking topwater plugs or jigging with light gear.  Price is reasonable all things considered, $375 pp.  Not as reasonable as Ship's trip, but for pansies like me that can't go below deck without getting sea sick....
I love clipboard man

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #800 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:38 PM »
pansies like me that can't go below deck without getting sea sick....

aint just you man.   Last two times i was more than 30 miles off shore i got  :sick:

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #801 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Good to know it's not just me.  I can't even go in the cabin.  Not sure why.  On the deck though I can handle 8 footers, as long as I'm in the open.
I love clipboard man

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #802 on: Jan 27, 2017, 01:10 PM »

Thanks for the detailed heads up. Always appreciate your reports. If we are lucky the cold temps will lock the wet stuff up!

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #803 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Highly recommend the bait shop right in the strip...bought some shiners last Saturday haven't fed them changed the water or anything and haven't lost a single one I just checked 👀👀

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #804 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Good to know it's not just me.  I can't even go in the cabin.  Not sure why.  On the deck though I can handle 8 footers, as long as I'm in the open.

Probably because you can orientate yourself on the horizon.  Looking at a wall a few feet from you might throw you off.

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #805 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:09 PM »
Fished all day today south end 10" of ice 2" of snow on top.  Had 18 tip ups in no flags all day.  jigged up some dink perch in about 25fow.  It was tough day had a good spot had two schools of smelt run threw on the vex.  Windy and snow showers all day.    Had a big bullhead come up to out holes in the shanty that was pretty cool.  Vex showed very little action over the 30+ holes we drilled today.       
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #806 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Gonna give er a shot tomorrow on the north end see what happens gonna do some jigging set a couple tip ups for pike

Offline kevin3686

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #807 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:37 PM »
Want to head up in the am never fished schroon before looking for a good place to start not looking for a hot spot trout pike ect any info would be a great help

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #808 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:13 PM »
Theres 41 pages of just the info your looking for here. Alot from past seasons too. Do a search for schroon..to get you started though best to access the north end off of fowler road or the state launch. Can get evrything from there

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #809 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:38 AM »
Anyone know how Paradox is looking?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.