New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429662 times)

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #570 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:00 PM »
Over the years when people have died on Schroon in the winter it has been by the inlet where the Schroon River comes into the lake.  Many years ago I was fishing there, about 200yds east of the inlet, with a guide friend of mine, and his family.  I was giving rides on the snowmobile to the kids all morning.  At lunchtime we were in the shanty, and we looked out and saw a large dark area, the size of a kitchen table. It was a spot of open water that just appeared.  We had over 20" ice everywhere else. We got the heck out of there.  Apparently the current spreads out and wore out sections of the ice from underneath.  Up there Keplers Bay, Steep Bay, Talchito Point, Lockwood Bay are all fine.  Beware the inlet area.
Tony

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #571 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:11 PM »
we looked out and saw a large dark area, the size of a kitchen table. It was a spot of open water that just appeared.  We had over 20" ice everywhere else. We got the heck out of there.  Apparently the current spreads out and wore out sections of the ice from underneath.

Current can do those crazy things.  Thats why the narrows and south end of the lake take longer to freeze I think.

We had something like that happen on LG too, fishing an area one day, go there the next day, there is a huge open hole right where we had been fishing with loons swimming around.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #572 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Scary thing was my snowmobile tracks went right across where it later opened up.  We pulled our tipups by snowmachine one after another, not walking on the ice at all.  Lesson learned.
Tony

Offline OneidaFox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #573 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:21 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I'll keep my distance.

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #574 on: Jan 09, 2017, 03:00 PM »
Current can do those crazy things.  Thats why the narrows and south end of the lake take longer to freeze I think.

We had something like that happen on LG too, fishing an area one day, go there the next day, there is a huge open hole right where we had been fishing with loons swimming around.

Frickin loons and their ice picks...

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #575 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:58 PM »
We are hoping to access from dock st and walk out near the island tomorrow. Has anyone been out there? Is the ice safe out over that deep water?

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #576 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:38 PM »
 Born, that might be a possibility. I'll let you know.

Thanks schrnlkr.

Low, it's sounds like you may be coming down with something.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #577 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:48 PM »
We are hoping to access from dock st and walk out near the island tomorrow. Has anyone been out there? Is the ice safe out over that deep water?

Plenty ice out there, guys all over that area this weekend, and much earlier.
Tony

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #578 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:06 PM »
Great. Thanks for the response. Wecwill be out there tomorrow. Hoping to get into some Lakers!

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #579 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:33 AM »
we fished the island on saturday and did pretty decent. had a good six guys out there i got 7 my buddy got 8 another guy got 7 or so. All jigging except 1. Just wish the size class ran as big as lake george.

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #580 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:42 PM »
I have been on Schroon and Paradox a few times on the boat, but never on the ice. Any recommendations for a newbie to ice fishing trout?
Rob

Offline jbird73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #581 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:49 PM »
if your using tip ups get ya some smelt first off

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #582 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:10 PM »

Which we drove within 100 yards of that morning before the sun came up in 10' of visibility fog on the quad.   :blink:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #583 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Thinking of hitting Schroon for the first time tomorrow any tips? Mainly gonna target perch and pike

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #584 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Got the sled registered in NY today, planning on hitting schroon tomorrow. Anyone want to share their general confidence level on running south from dock st toward the southern end of the island on a snowmobile?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #585 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:55 PM »
Wheelers all over north basin on Sat.  Personally I wouldn't have a problem going there with my sled, just not anywhere near the Narrows, yet.
Tony

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #586 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:07 PM »
Wheelers all over north basin on Sat.  Personally I wouldn't have a problem going there with my sled, just not anywhere near the Narrows, yet.

Thanks, I'd plan to stay north / west of the island, but want to start mid-lake. Jigging c&r only.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #587 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Went out off of the beach, on the Adirondack side. There is a large pressure ridge forming North of the beach heading West or south west from the east shore and then heading south or South West (not really sure) just West of mid lake. It was well visible from quite a distance away.  Use caution South of the narrows especially in that area. Had anywhere from 4- 4 1/2 in spots - 5 1/2 inches of ice. Sounded like star wars with a lightsaber battle when she was making ice. Met another shanty member out there. I have to send thanks for the beer and the bakery goods to spoondangler. You have one hell of a pastry chef!  I'll take 12 croissants next time you're up this way. Tell her I'll pay double. ;D

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #588 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:17 AM »
That's some nice ice formation off Adirondack!  It was open Saturday morning!

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #589 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:29 AM »
hey guys, anyone ever fish Big Pond off Hoffman road? I have fished a lot of surrounding ponds, but never Big Pond

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #590 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:16 PM »
I was also looking at Big Pond. Unheard there are some pike in there. The only problem is no bait fish allowed.

Offline JiggnWithIt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #591 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:23 PM »
hey guys, anyone ever fish Big Pond off Hoffman road? I have fished a lot of surrounding ponds, but never Big Pond

Yes fished it a few times Pike are in there never got any great size. No bait fish allowed

Offline ChefMcG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #592 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Any report on the ice from Eagle Point ?
The separation is in the preparation!

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #593 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Any report on the ice from Eagle Point ?

Very sketchy. Just south of the campground there is a patch of open water. Slushy, black ice looking like the ice at spring ice out. There were a group of fishermen just south of the Mill Brook. I would not trust it at all. Warm weather reversed everything the cold snap brought. If we get the predicted rain Thursday I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole basin open.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #594 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Took a ride around schroon today checking where the access spots are and there were a handful of people out. Eagle point is not safe today it was a bunch of open water by the parking area

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Wahlers07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #595 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:30 AM »
Hopefully it tightens back up by the weekend

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #596 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:01 AM »
The weekend looks cold.   Not much luck before that.   

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #597 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Got my first lakers through the ice. Fished the north end all day, went a half mile south of the island, ended up with 5, but missed a lot of hits too, like they were just grabbing the tail of the swim shads I was using. Ice was 8-10" everwhere i drilled. Awesome place great day, thanks again to everyone who offered up suggestions!

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #598 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Got my first lakers through the ice. Fished the north end all day, went a half mile south of the island, ended up with 5, but missed a lot of hits too, like they were just grabbing the tail of the swim shads I was using. Ice was 8-10" everwhere i drilled. Awesome place great day, thanks again to everyone who offered up suggestions!

(Image removed from quote.)

Good looking Laker!!
Rob

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #599 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:11 AM »

dude, you did it!!!!!   Awesome fish too!!  Congrats!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.