New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429700 times)

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #480 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Most edges have buttoned up nicely on Schroon, someone fishing out from boat launch measured 16" ice.  Derby is on for this weekend. Good luck!
Tony

Offline saltr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #481 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Thanks for the Update!

Offline biggmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #482 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Does it look like there will be ice next weekend, our group is going up late this year

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #483 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:28 AM »
check the forecast. if the ice is still safe you will likely need a boat to get to it but with the spring weather coming I wouldn't be surprised if the main sheet is honeycombed by next weekend

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #484 on: Mar 06, 2016, 04:15 PM »
Wondering how everyone made out today. I know yesterday was very slow.
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #485 on: Mar 06, 2016, 05:04 PM »
I'm interested also.  I was stuck working in the basement all day.

Offline Northeastangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #486 on: Mar 06, 2016, 07:19 PM »
Fished the narrows yesterday and today. Managed one 22" laker yesterday and one 23" laker today, slow two days though for me

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #487 on: Mar 06, 2016, 07:36 PM »
I had steady action both days a lot of fish from 14-24inches
The jigging action was much better than the tip ups
We ended up catching 24 lakers in two days and only 3 of em on tip ups
It was def a real good season for me , to bad all good things gotta end and with this weeks forecast I'm sure it's days away from being over. Looking forward to next season it's time to put the ice gear away and start working on the boat and get ready for spring

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #488 on: Mar 06, 2016, 08:15 PM »
I've got lots of updates and pics on the Reporting Live Thread.
Tony

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #489 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:40 PM »
Sat 6 Lakers 18-23" and one 35" 11.65lb pike. Pike was 60ft of water 8lb flouro couldnt believe pike so deep!!!! Sunday slow!!! One 18" laker . great weather both days.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #490 on: Mar 07, 2016, 03:45 AM »
Good job you guys.  :thumbsup:
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #491 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:28 AM »
2 weeks after the fishing derby south end of Schroon mostly open, north basin should go this week.  Amazing how fast it can go, especially this year.  Time for Steelies!!!
Tony

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #492 on: Mar 19, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Steelies are almost done too. Hatchery is taking eggs and suckers have started running in tribs.
Time to get the boat out on the Great Lake and hit those Browns before they disappear and the stripers show up.
Did some scouting in my local creek which is a good trib of the mighty muddy Hudson . Some reports said herring are around , I found nadda but the smallies were active which means it's getting close .

Good luck out there and thanks for all the reports you have given.
To me , this has been a GREAT ice season, much BETTER then the last 2

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #493 on: Mar 20, 2016, 01:50 PM »
I saw a boat floating down the lake this morning.... upside down.  I hope whomever lost it finds it on shore. 

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #494 on: Mar 20, 2016, 02:28 PM »
I saw a boat floating down the lake this morning.... upside down.  I hope whomever lost it finds it on shore.

Or that there wasn't anyone in it sometime this morning   :o
Tony

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #495 on: Mar 20, 2016, 03:19 PM »
I didn't think of that.  I hope that's not the case.  It wouldn't take more than a couple minutes in the lake to make it your last swim at this time of the year.  I figured with the high water, somebody didn't pull their boat up far enough this fall.  It looked like the standard rowboat so it should have been hard to flip.

On a slightly happier note, I scored about half the firewood I'll need for next winter today. Fo Free!   Half hard maple and half what the guy said was coffee tree.  It's light like pine so I don't have any hopes for high btu, but it'll burn and heat the cabin! It's been sitting cut, split and stacked for years and is nice and dry. 

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #496 on: Mar 20, 2016, 04:02 PM »
I didn't think of that.  I hope that's not the case.  It wouldn't take more than a couple minutes in the lake to make it your last swim at this time of the year.  I figured with the high water, somebody didn't pull their boat up far enough this fall.  It looked like the standard rowboat so it should have been hard to flip.

On a slightly happier note, I scored about half the firewood I'll need for next winter today. Fo Free!   Half hard maple and half what the guy said was coffee tree.  It's light like pine so I don't have any hopes for high btu, but it'll burn and heat the cabin! It's been sitting cut, split and stacked for years and is nice and dry.

Free wood always feels warmer!  ;) ;) ;)
Tony

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #497 on: Mar 20, 2016, 05:37 PM »
It could be cotton wood ( aspen ) . If so , it's not even worth the effort . I had a bunch , yes it smells like coffee when burned but retains moisture with very little btu.
Good luck

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #498 on: Mar 20, 2016, 07:22 PM »
It could be cotton wood ( aspen ) . If so , it's not even worth the effort . I had a bunch , yes it smells like coffee when burned but retains moisture with very little btu.
Good luck
I use wood almost entirely to heat with, and I'll use "lesser btu" wood in spring or fall when all you need is a quick fire to take the chill out, and save my quality wood for winter.  Nothing like wood, warms to the bones!
Tony

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #499 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:09 PM »
We heat my sons 1800's 2 story house entirely with wood. I would cut and split ( with a maul ) about 20 full cords a year from a quarry I work in . Always went straight for red oak and hickory , left the gnarly maple alone because I split by hand . Finally I made him buy a log splitter and will now take maple.
That said we have been burning on a 2 & 1/2 years reserve.
My man cave has an old cook stove that heats the 16x60' space pretty well . I cut some cotton wood 2 years ago and it still retains moisture but is light as a feather . Been trying to use is up this winter , which was mild just to get rid of it . My neighbor has 2 giant red oaks that he says must go so I'm psyched to get them down Easter Sunday :)

Some wood , even free is just not worth the effort to me .
Make sure you clean your chimney / pipe often when using aspen as it will create creasol quickly

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #500 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Man, I wish I could get Hickory up here, both for my wood stove and my smoker!  Last summer a logger I know was cutting somewhere east of Saratoga and he brought me a pickup load of hickory for the smoker, I traded him some smoked ribs, he liked that deal!
Tony

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #501 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Its definitely not a cottonwood...  The tree still stands, or at less the secndary trunks do.  Its an ornamental.  There is a Kentucky coffee tree, but I'm not familiar with it.  I used to heat with wood when my alternative was oil, but weened myself off once I switched to natural gas.  I was 3 years ahead.  I'm down to around a cord and a half in back. 

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #502 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:44 PM »
I heard there was a lot of hickory on the lg side of granite mountain, but never saw it up there. 

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #503 on: Mar 21, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Man, I wish I could get Hickory up here, both for my wood stove and my smoker!  Last summer a logger I know was cutting somewhere east of Saratoga and he brought me a pickup load of hickory for the smoker, I traded him some smoked ribs, he liked that deal!

Could have been from our quarry , we couldn't cut ahead fast enough to keep up with the blasting so a few loggers were hired the last 2 years to clear cut.
Our quarry encompass is a 10 mile radius and we blast 180' deep

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #504 on: Oct 01, 2016, 12:00 PM »
I was up in the village last week and they have a bait shop again!   It's been years since I saw one up there!

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #505 on: Oct 02, 2016, 08:07 PM »
I was up in the village last week and they have a bait shop again!   It's been years since I saw one up there!

they had it open 2015 ice tournament but not this past season dk why

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #506 on: Oct 09, 2016, 05:41 AM »
I was working in schroon lake last week Monday and tues shop was open but looked quiet for now....was killing me we were working rite on the lake.the lake was lime glass not even a ripple saw quite a few fish near the suface....I think they were laughing at me jokes on them ice is comin soon lol

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #507 on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:45 AM »
Has anybody seen any skim ice on the ponds yet up there?

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #508 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:40 AM »
There is a skim coat on the small ponds in the area. Is anyone familiar with big Pond? It is just west of Schroon village. Anyone ever fish there? Is ice fishing allowed?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #509 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:25 AM »
Nice hike in, lots of flags, mostly smallish pike, at least that's been my experience.  Many of the ponds that I've seen while hunting are iced over.  With the cold coming wouldn't be surprised if they are fishable in a week to 10 days.  Special regs. for ice fishing Essex County  http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32342.html
Tony

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.