The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: same water or something different  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
same water or something different
« on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:54 AM »
After so many years fishing all over the place, I find myself fishing the same 2-3 spots. Wondering if you guys like to do the same or try and fish as many spots as possible. pro's and con's?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: same water or something different
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2018, 08:05 AM »
For me it’s more about the quality of the fishery and the target species of the day.  going to new places is always nice, but there’s something to be said about getting dialed in on local waters. Now if your always on the same water doing the same thing every time, then your not exactly learning the lake, just hoping your “lucky spot” will produce today.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2018, 08:50 AM »
For me it’s more about the quality of the fishery and the target species of the day.  going to new places is always nice, but there’s something to be said about getting dialed in on local waters. Now if your always on the same water doing the same thing every time, then your not exactly learning the lake, just hoping your “lucky spot” will produce today.

What he said.
Just add water.

Offline Jwise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Paul, We need to venture out to a few different places this year. Hit Ashmere, Pontuusac, Onota, Maybe Goose Pond.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:47 AM »
As years go by and my ability to ice fish anywhere increases I find myself looking further and further from home for now experiences in different bodies of water.  That will never change for me.  Last year I almost decided to drive to upper red lake for walleye.  I like the idea of fishing as many different water bodies as I can.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:51 AM »
What he said.

My frame of mind is, iv'e been to many places, some good some bad, but when you "hone in" on a great spot, why not keep going there if it continues to produce so well?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:59 AM »
My decision usually depends on who I am fishing with.  If I'm going out with the usual suspects who I know are willing to travel and try new things then I'll drive anywhere.  If I'm bringing some new people or just looking to have fun then I'll go somewhere that I'm confident that we will get a lot of flags.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2018, 10:16 AM »
My frame of mind is, iv'e been to many places, some good some bad, but when you "hone in" on a great spot, why not keep going there if it continues to produce so well?

I can agree with this when LG is frozen.  Averaging around 10 Lakers a trip is hard to give up!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2018, 12:07 PM »
If you fish the same waters year after year, eventually they will either get fished out (of all the big fish) or you will start to lose interest because the results start to dwindle.

I have roughly 5 or 6 places I like to fish.

Based on the conditions, amount of time I have on the ice, and what I am looking to catch I will make my choice.
Luckily, if spot #1 is crowded, or conditions are bad(ice-wise) I will have a spot #2 7 #3 in mind as backup spots.

This is more prevalent in late winter/early spring when conditions can change fast.

The more places you fish, the more option you have available when you decide to go!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2018, 01:58 PM »
This year I plan on fishing a lot of new smaller ponds off the beaten path. Just moved to auburn from Worcester and with water less then a mile up the road it will be my new go to pond. Bought a flasher last year and will be using it a bunch mostly for checking the small ponds out to make sure there are fish there. Webster lake will prob be my go to jigging lake caught lots of jumbo perch last year. Sticking to the small ponds in search for a 7+ bass

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2018, 02:16 PM »
The challenge of trying a different unknown spot can be fun at times. Try exploring when other states offer free fishing weekend if you normally don't fish that state on the regular.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Not enough day in a year to hit all the "new" spots I want to fish...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2018, 04:37 PM »
This year I plan on fishing a lot of new smaller ponds off the beaten path. Just moved to auburn from Worcester and with water less then a mile up the road it will be my new go to pond. Bought a flasher last year and will be using it a bunch mostly for checking the small ponds out to make sure there are fish there. Webster lake will prob be my go to jigging lake caught lots of jumbo perch last year. Sticking to the small ponds in search for a 7+ bass

I grew up fishing this way.  Finding all sorts of unlisted gems...its a great time. 

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2018, 05:06 PM »
I love the challenge of learning a new body of water and try Hit a couple of new spots every year.  Some I will visit again others only once.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Access is always a problem and when you find a spot you can get to its always better.  The there is the "I've been fishing this place for ever and your in my spot" people,  the "where are you from and why are you here if you don't live here" people and on and on.  I usually have a few go to places where the competition is limited and stick with them.  Of course if you don't know the waterbody you can learn just so much from maps and its always dicey where to set up.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Its nice to try new spots once in a while but usually not on a weekend or a holiday since that's when the unpleasant people come out of the woodwork.

I've never had that happen in Maine or New Hampshire.  Usually people are nice about you wanting access unless you are a jerk.  I'll be happy when I can finally move to a place with more opportunity and less competition.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2018, 12:20 PM »
I have found a few spots that I will be trying this year.  I will fish my go to spots also.   But I think I have found a few hidden gems.  I enjoy fishing and the thrill of the tug.  I can’t wait!  Bring on the ice. 
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.