The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Replacing the line  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Fat Tony

• Team IceShanty Regular
Replacing the line
« on: Sep 25, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Going to be re spooling the tilts in the near future      What kind of line is everyone using? Also thoughts on the color     Have used red line for years and just wondering everyone’s thoughts if color makes a difference

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
Re: Replacing the line
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2018, 10:08 PM »
I use 6# Magna thin line  ;D

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2018, 04:55 PM »
What do you normally go for? As for color I like the sand/tan.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2018, 05:27 PM »
My history is whatever is handy. Always used Dacron, never nylon or mono as a main line. Easy to handle, super durable and lasts almost forever on tippys. 30 - 36# provides enough diameter to handle easily and still get 50 yds. on a regular spool. You can use "whatever" for as long a leader as you like so it really doesn't matter. Over the years it's been black because that's what was left over from respooling my musky reels. I like that because it's easy to see on the ice when you're hand over handing.

That said I've tried tan, camo, fluorescent orange and chartreuse (catfish line), white/green spot, white/black spot and chartreuse/green spot . Color never seemed to make a difference. Like I said, tie as long a leader as you're comfortable with and line color won't matter as much as your location and presentation at the end of that line. If you have confidence in a certain color that's OK but in the end it's only one less thing you're thinking about and you can concentrate on the important stuff.

Oh yeah, there's no advantage to superline (braid, fused whatever) of any kind because the expense can't be justified unless you like saying, "Oh, I got (fill in your favorite, sexy line) on my tippys and I catch a ton of fish". Fine, not me. First, to get a reasonable handling diameter you'd need 80 - 100# test. Second, no dark color (which I like) lasts very long. I don't do it even though I have stuff from respooling musky reels. Just me.

I don't worry about it. Just concentrate on the rest...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2018, 06:34 AM »
My history is whatever is handy. Always used Dacron, never nylon or mono as a main line. Easy to handle, super durable and lasts almost forever on tippys. 30 - 36# provides enough diameter to handle easily and still get 50 yds. on a regular spool. You can use "whatever" for as long a leader as you like so it really doesn't matter. Over the years it's been black because that's what was left over from respooling my musky reels. I like that because it's easy to see on the ice when you're hand over handing.

That said I've tried tan, camo, fluorescent orange and chartreuse (catfish line), white/green spot, white/black spot and chartreuse/green spot . Color never seemed to make a difference. Like I said, tie as long a leader as you're comfortable with and line color won't matter as much as your location and presentation at the end of that line. If you have confidence in a certain color that's OK but in the end it's only one less thing you're thinking about and you can concentrate on the important stuff.

Oh yeah, there's no advantage to superline (braid, fused whatever) of any kind because the expense can't be justified unless you like saying, "Oh, I got (fill in your favorite, sexy line) on my tippys and I catch a ton of fish". Fine, not me. First, to get a reasonable handling diameter you'd need 80 - 100# test. Second, no dark color (which I like) lasts very long. I don't do it even though I have stuff from respooling musky reels. Just me.

I don't worry about it. Just concentrate on the rest...

What he said. I go with 40lb dacron in black with a flouro leader.
Just add water.

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Seconding esox and others, I use black dacron as a main line because it's durable and easy to handle. I opt for 50#. Bought a huge spool maybe 5 years ago and the tipups are still looking great (even though I just posted wondering if I should change it; decided not to). I add a leader that's species dependent. For toothy things I'll use wire or heavy mono, for trout a long (36" or more) 6lb or lighter fluoro, for bass etc 10lb fluoro at least a foot or two. As for leader color I usually use clear/smoke for fluoro and green for the mono, but I'm not sure that matters much.

You didn't ask but I'll note that I do use braided main line on a couple of jigging rods (6lb black again with a fluoro leader).
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline Fat Tony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2018, 11:50 AM »
So that sums it up    Is the Dacron just normal line or is there an ice use Dacron    The interwebs don’t seem to specify     Thanks for the reply’s!    Won’t be long 😜

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2018, 04:49 PM »
There’s usually line that says tip up line, that is the thicker line you should be looking at. Don’t get the coated line, they get too stiff to work.
Stuff like this
https://www.cabelas.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Polar-Ice-Braided-Dacron-Tip-Up-Line/704973.uts

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2018, 05:24 PM »
I use the 20 or 30 pound black dacron, a barrel swivel, and then a six foot leader of 10 pound Spider Wire that comes in the blue box.  I've used this combination for many years and haven't had any issues with pickerel biting through the leader line and caught lots of fish with it.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Mason tip up line...braided nylon and teflon coated. Tough, thin and won't kink or freeze up. Been using this line for years with zero issues...and it won't break the bank.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2018, 11:52 AM »
So that sums it up    Is the Dacron just normal line or is there an ice use Dacron    The interwebs don’t seem to specify     Thanks for the reply’s!    Won’t be long 😜

Just about anything branded "Ice" is simply open water stuff marketed with (usually) an upcharge. Dacron is pretty much Dacron regardless of the brand. Most is Teflon coated. I've found a 1600 yd spool of Gudebrod 30# on fleaBay for under $20.Set for pretty much life. C'mon over, buy me a cigar and I'll spool everything you have...  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:23 AM »
25# squid line on the spools, leaders depends on what fish targeted. 3-4lb clear for trout, 8 lb for bass. use an 'ice' line
burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:51 PM »
You can use whatever you want, but I'd see how the line feels before spooling.
I tried spider wire braid some years back, 20 lb. test, and it was worse than using straight mono.
Now I use black braided Dacron, 25 - 50 lb. test on all my traps.
I use ice braid, 2-4 lb. test on my in-line jigging set-ups, and mono for my jigging set-ups.

If you take care of the line it should last many seasons, just make sure to check it early (when breaking out the gear 1st time) and check line integrity. I would NEVER want to find out my line was shot while fighting a fish!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:08 AM »
25# squid line on the spools, leaders depends on what fish targeted. 3-4lb clear for trout, 8 lb for bass. use an 'ice' line
burp

I'm with lenz, the squid line is the way to go for the spools as it doesn't tangle and freeze like "ice" line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.