Author Topic: Old Coleman Stove Found...  (Read 964 times)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Old Coleman Stove Found...
« on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Today, I found an old green Coleman white gas stove. It hasnt been used for many years, and I am just curious what I should do to it to get it back to running condition? Im going to guess that it was bought in the late 80's

Also, is white gas the same stuff as the coleman camp fuel that they sell now? And if so, could I also run unleaded gas in it like the stoves now? I will try to get a picture up tomorrow when i get a second! Thanks everyone!

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Old Coleman Stove Found...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:39 PM »
White gas and naphtha are the same,  don't even think about using unleaded,  it will clog up the generator faster than eating a pound of cheese.   Only the "dual fuel" models work with unleaded.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Does it have the pump? Green 2 burner stove with red fuel tank and brass pump that hangs on the front? If so, pump up to see if it holds pressure, blow out and clean up burners, that's about it. I still use mine from '77..... ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Online tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:15 AM »
If it is the one burner round stove, the one I HAD was a pain to get to work.

The two burner camp stoves work great. You may need to put a new generator on it and clean/flush out any rust in the tank.

As far as using unleaded in the older stoves goes, I have burnt gallons of unleaded in my old Coleman camp stove when I used it to boil my traps. NO problems with the generator.

Fact is I got my old Coleman lantern out last winter that had not been fired up in years. After putting new mantled on it it also fired up like always. I have no idea how old the unleaded gas was that was in the tank but it was OLD.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:36 AM »
Well I might be staying away from unleaded for a while just to be safe  ;D I don't wanna wreck this old thing on accident!

Also, I am almost positive that the fuel tank is green.. I will have to go check on that tomorrow.. but if it's green and not red, what does that mean?

Go Beavers!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:53 AM »
You could spend a few bucks and convert it to propane. http://www.amazon.com/Century-Regulated-Propane-Converter-Grey/dp/B000GPLIZU
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:45 PM »
You could spend a few bucks and convert it to propane. http://www.amazon.com/Century-Regulated-Propane-Converter-Grey/dp/B000GPLIZU

Never seen that one before! I like the look of it!

I got the stove going an hr ago.. I had to burn a bunch of fuel through it and keep relighting it to burn all of the bad stuff out of the lines.. also, it took me a little while to figure out how to do it, but then I was able to figure it out! Much better to get this one rather than buy one! Thanks everyone!

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:36 PM »
White gas is what the Coleman Camp Fuel, just a new name.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:59 PM »
I found out on coleman's website that they basically use the exact same parts from all the old stoves in the new stoves, and since their design has stood the test of time, they havent changed it much from the originals! I think that is pretty cool to see a company staying true to it's original. Not something you see these days!

Go Beavers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.