Author Topic: barleydog  (Read 2732 times)

grumpymoe

barleydog
« on: Jan 26, 2004, 02:02 PM »
geeeez barleydog!!! read my posts on the manitoba forum.... (see sandy lake) latest tally after sunday, 184 northerns.... saturday fished for exactly 1 hr and kept 6 northerns, released one and quit for the day. back out sunday and caught/releases 21 northern and 2 walleye in 4 1/2 hours fishing. miserable weatherwise with northerly winds -24c--(i've fished much colder) but action was steady but extremely soft and almost undetectable hits. my wife threatened to beat me, but outfished her 17 to 6...... i know it sounds like bragging, and i guess it is. :P :P :P

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re:barleydog
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2004, 02:08 PM »
You my friend, should never post here again!  You know most of us are probably pretty jeleous of your catch.  You are foolish for beating your wife, (in my opinion.)  It always comes back to haunt me in way's indescribable to man!  Of coarse just getting her blessing to hit the ice is a mountain of a task.
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2004, 02:17 PM »
barleydog...... i'm going to share this with you....there's a fair number of anglers on the lake, not alot, but enough... most are not doing very well. this soft bite is not a regional phenom..i use an ultra light jigging rod, eagleclaw #2 hooks with standard mono, and the smallest split shot for weight just below a snap swivel.... its amazing how many fish are not rapping the rod tip, but just inhaling the live minnow and sitting there. when this is happening, i set the hook. its not so much luck this year, but change in approach in the method i'm using, AND its producing. my wife is pretty good natured, and i'll let her beat me some afternoon when i need a snooze. ;D ;D--what's producing for you this year????--grump

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2004, 03:00 PM »
What's producing?  How about shivering!  Yeah I sit in the shanty with the heater blasting, the lantern on full bore, and after 2 hours It's still -20 inside the dang thing.  This is good!  The trout seem to love the consistant jiggling omitted by my body!  I did really well one day by going "micro", 2 lb. test, micro jigs, and a single maggot.  Seemed the fish were locked up similar to your walleye, and would only "slurp" the jig in.  Had to go with an old spring bobber and detect the slight bump that way.  Bad thing about this was I had several pike come through and slurp my jig down to thier poop shoot and cut my "thread" like a.  Most of the pike I chase feed heavy on large aquatic bugs like dragon, may, etc...  Same food as the trout and char.  
Hey I miss walleye fishing!  Used to be one fish that could challenge you to no end!  Glad to hear you are mastering them.  Your rig sounds similar to rigs I used in the past for them.  Small minnow with a bare hook combo that worked for me too!  What kinda pole are you detecting the hits with, Fast action? Medium?  SOunds like way tooo much fun. ;D  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2004, 03:14 PM »
barleydog----all these fish are NORTHERNS. geez caught 2 walleye yesterday for the first time since newyears day.. i'm using a cheapo ultra light compaq made in taiwan of all places. its the lightest, most sensitive 24" rod i've ever used...shiver/jigging is a technique i'm afraid i wont be trying at my shanty this winter..heat exhaustion is most likely. grrrrump

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2004, 04:18 PM »
Let's trade shanties!  By the way, did you get yours out of the ice?  
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2004, 04:39 PM »
i dont mind trading, but how much difference our you giving???? nope. not moving till i get some warmer weather, and why would i?? i do admit the target fish this winter was supposed to be walleye, but like my wife said last night after frying up both. quote " you know, i really prefer the northern." enough said about quality taste. anyways, back to the trade. cashiers cheque will do just fine. we just have to agree now ;D ;D ;D  keep us updated bud.  grrrrumpy

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:46 PM »
Moe,  I agree with your wife.  Northern are great fish!  Checks in the mail.   ;D  Barleydog!
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.