Author Topic: 1-31-09  (Read 2030 times)

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
1-31-09
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:57 PM »
The weather channel said it was 5+f at 5:00 a.m. at Mchenry. I would have loved to know what the wind chill was. The wind was brutal. I fished from 8:00 a.m. til 6:00 p.m.. I put 15 perch on the ice. It was a slow day. At around 1:00 someone else showed up. He set up about 50 yards from me. He drilled 2 holes, about 3' appart  and just tore em up. He sat on a bucket, jigged both poles at the same time and used the same bait on both poles. He was using home made jigs tipped with maggots. He fished until about 5:30 and caught 50 thats right 50 perch. I didn't count them, he said he caught 50 and had a big bag full. They were pretty small perch. I caught mine on minnows. Mine were larger, but he caught 50.  :embarassed:
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1-31-09
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:21 PM »
The wind was brutal out there Saturday, I was out there from around 7am until 5pm near the Yacht Club, I got in my buddies hut twice for a few minutes to thaw out. The fishing sucked!! I only iced 1 perch.  :'( My buddie got 6 or 7. I had lots of lookers on the vex and missed a few but it made for a very long day. Sunday was just about as bad, only stayed half as long and caught zero fish. I'm planning another trip for the middle of the month. Mind helping a  :cookoo: fisherman out with some direction on this lake. Main body, shallow, deep.......... :wacko: :woot:

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deep Creek Ice 12/27/2008
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 06:19 PM »
Gweb,
I ain't no expert but I too had a real tough day on Saturday, one dink perch, fished 6:30 am to 4;00 pm. Little better on Sunday. My experience is that the fishin in this lake is majorly influenced by weather front movement and moon phase. Not much you can do about that, maybe a little prayer would help. I would bet my vex that fishin was a lot better on Monday because it was cloudy, snowin. If you check out FishingDeepCreek.com you will get some better insight. I fish jigs, micro, Swedish pimples, tip ups and it can be tough, then again, I am easy to please 4 or 5 blue gill and I've had a good day. Good luck, hope to see you on the ice.
Boyd
It's all a part o' fishin', son

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:08 PM »
I should be up there from 2-18 through 2-22. What part of the lake do you usually fish?? I might run into you. We usually fish from the power lines on Turkey Neck down past the Yacht Club and some on the main lake between 219 Bridge and the bait house. My buddie just got into it a few years ago so he is my "guide" when I come up there. I've been wanting a depth chart/map of the lake but I can't find one. Hope to see you on the ice. Good Luck and Tight Lines.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:31 PM »
I should be up there from 2-18 through 2-22. What part of the lake do you usually fish?? I might run into you. We usually fish from the power lines on Turkey Neck down past the Yacht Club and some on the main lake between 219 Bridge and the bait house. My buddie just got into it a few years ago so he is my "guide" when I come up there. I've been wanting a depth chart/map of the lake but I can't find one. Hope to see you on the ice. Good Luck and Tight Lines.
   I don't know where the power lines are or turkey neck is. I've heard of turkey neck most of my life, but don't know where it is. Hell I don't know the names of streets in my home town of Frostburg. I just try to avoid the crowds. Play the odds.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:07 PM »
The wind was brutal out there Saturday, I was out there from around 7am until 5pm near the Yacht Club, I got in my buddies hut twice for a few minutes to thaw out. The fishing sucked!! I only iced 1 perch.  :'( My buddie got 6 or 7. I had lots of lookers on the vex and missed a few but it made for a very long day. Sunday was just about as bad, only stayed half as long and caught zero fish. I'm planning another trip for the middle of the month. Mind helping a  :cookoo: fisherman out with some direction on this lake. Main body, shallow, deep.......... :wacko: :woot:
   I sent a reply but didn't see it so here is another one. I'm still fishing shallow, about 10'. I'm fishing in weeds. They are green. I've read several years ago that if the weeds in winter aren't green they give off carbonmonoxide or carbondioxide , i'm not sure which. Green weeds should give off oxygen. The guy that really tore em up was using a jig he said was homemade. I don't like giving out secrets, but his jig was white with a red dot and tipped with maggots. I tried using a white sweedish pimple with a red plastic thing attached tipped with maggots and didn't catch a thing. I was hoping it would be close to the other mans jigs. I then tried a white gitzit and caught most of my fish on it. I caught some on tip-ups and minnows and some on sweedish pimples tipped with minnows. I try to stay away from the crowds. I figure that the less fisherman, the more fish for me to catch. I also set four tip-ups. When one of my buddies come along I set four for him and keep an eye on them for him. ;D He dose'nt think using tip-ups is fishing. I hope that don't make me a bad person. Play the odds. Good luck and don't be afraid to move around if you're not catching fish.

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deep Creek Ice 12/27/2008
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:38 AM »
GWebb and John,
GWebb I usually fish at Sky Valley, Harvey's. I think when it comes down to it that those that catch fish on DCL have been doing so for sometime and have their honey holes. Yet, my friend who's been fishin DCL for thirty years got skunked on Saturday as well. So, you have to hit this lake with good conditions, no full moon and cloudy, my best days and usually happen Mon. through Fri. >:( 

My best attempt is to set tips at different bottom depths and jig around. Some days the minnows are gettin some days just the maggots. Structure can help as the fish will hold around a tree or rocks. Its a big lake and the fish are there,they are moving as well. I keep hearing about a topo map of DCL but I think it's mostly legend. I got all the maps and don't find them useful. I try to look at the lake shore and hit points, bays, downed trees, something different. I got buds that seem to catch their limit in the bathtub; me I gotta work. I think it's their smell.  I just try to appreciate the suicidal fish that happen to grab my bait.

John,
You are absolutely correct about the vegetation. However, at night the green veg will consume oxygen and give off carbon dioxide; God's way of keeping a balance. The dead vegetation will consume oxygen during the decomposition process. Just keep fishin the green weeds as you know. Nice observation. Even us Frostburg boys can learn a thing or two. I consider my self a Redneck Scientist and credit my dad for givin me a true appreciation for conservation. Keep what you'll eat, even if under the limit and God and nature will provide.

Good Luck Fellers, nice talkin to ya.
Boyd
It's all a part o' fishin', son

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Scent is very important. I don't pump gas before fishing. I try not to fill my augar while fishing, but sometimes that cannot be prevented. I go as far as rubbing my jigs on fish I already caught. :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.