The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Mendota crappies?  (Read 6330 times)

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mendota crappies?
« on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Hey fellow IS members...I always want to try new things each winter, and one that has been on my list for years is to try deep water crappie fishing on Mendota.  I know the basin bite happens on lakes that bottom out around 30-35, but other than fishing deep for perch on Mendota, I haven't tried to locate them.  Message me if you are interested in meeting up out there and would like to divide and conquer the "shallower" basin on the west side, near spring harbor in that 35 foot shelf.  I think it might be worth the effort.  The slabs are big in here, but I never hear anyone targeting them in the winter.  I have a quad and shack, and can be quite mobile, so I have to stop talking about it and try it this winter.  Perch bite has been slow the last couple years anyway.

Hope to see you on top...
FS

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Mendota crappies?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Hello, I would be interested in that if the timing worked out once we get ice. I have ice been fishing Mendota for the past 3yrs, got hooked on the perch fishing. While last year was down quite a bit from the previous 2, it was still fun to try to find them. I also have an ATV and a portable shack so we could cover more area. I spent a half day out there last winter looking for gills in 5 to 10ft of water with no luck and the rest of my time on there was spent trying to find perch (lots of miles on the atv, lol)

Offline WalleyeMac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2016, 01:23 PM »
I would be interested in giving that a shot as well.  I do most of my winter panfishing on Monona in the popular spots in the bays.  Fishing those same spots over and over can get old.  Would be fun to try something new.  The other downside to Monona is that the bite is typically non-existent during the middle of the day (good at early and late light).  Maybe the crappie bite (if you can find them) on Mendota would be a little different. 

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Sounds good guys...maybe we should get a crew or outing together.  I'm thinking late Jan., as the perch bite might be slower then, and ice will hopefully be good for travel everywhere.  Keep the list going and let's circle back in a couple months.

Offline wifisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2016, 01:50 PM »
I'd also be in for that. I mainly fish eyes, pike and cats out there, would be a nice change of pace.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2016, 01:52 PM »
I'm in too

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2016, 01:55 PM »
Sounds like an adventure! If the time works for me I'm plenty close for a day trip.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline wifisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2016, 09:52 PM »
I would think with a decent amount of us out there we should be able to find a few slabs!

Offline kami

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2016, 10:19 PM »
Count me in!
I have had good luck with crappies on Waubesa, but would love to try somewhere new.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2016, 08:59 AM »
This sounds like a fun outing waiting to happen.  I'm glad I've got some folks interested.  now we just need some ice.  Look forward to meeting all of you when the time comes...
FS

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Ice will be here soon? Dec 9 looks to start getting cold, hope so! Some big crappies in the back bays on Mendota at first ice, only lasts a few days, just gotta hit it at the right time. Think cold!!

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Madgill, I know you are one of the first out, and do well in the shallows at early ice.  Where do you think the crappies might go as winter wears on?  Just curious...do you think they slide out deep past the first drop?

I'm with you on the ice...I'm hoping by xmas everything is locked up.

FS

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Madgill, I know you are one of the first out, and do well in the shallows at early ice.  Where do you think the crappies might go as winter wears on?  Just curious...do you think they slide out deep past the first drop?

I'm with you on the ice...I'm hoping by xmas everything is locked up.

FS

I'm no expert, just anxious to "broaden my horizons". Over this way on lakes that have decent (read 10 -11") crappies most of the targeting mid to late season goes on in the deepest hole(s) in the lake(s). Granted, they don't have the max depth of Mendota, but 25 - 35 feet is pretty typical. The biggest factor seems to be a mud bottom (red worms?).

Also caught pike fishing dead bait on or just off the bottom in these areas.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2016, 06:37 PM »
Back bays usually hot at first ice, my guess is the crappies move out deep over mud bottoms, the area between Marshall & Spring Harbor would be a good spot to explore. Lots of un fished lake out there, it always pays to get out and explore! I have never found the crappies deep on Mendota, but they are out there somewhere, suspended. Always pays to think out of the box, not follow the crowds and try something different. I hope for early ice, off work for the year beginning Dec 10, annual ice fishing frenzy! Think cold!! First ice fishing has always been the best for me, hope the back bays around town freeze up soon!

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2016, 04:10 PM »
The way the forecast looks, this might happen sooner than later.  I'd be interested also, even though crappies aren't at the top of my list.  Always enjoy looking for new spots, and sometimes you can get lucky. 

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Im guessing that it will be close to New years before Mendota locks up. Mendota and Geneva are always the last 2 lakes to freeze in southern WI

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2016, 03:36 AM »
We do have a ways to go on the big lake.  Buoy data suggests the temp is still in the 40's, so it will be at least a couple weeks, even with the cold snap coming next week.  I picked a date out there a way because I like first ice anywhere, and this searching mission will most likely become interesting when the initial first ice period is over, and new challenges are needed to find something different.  It's coming, but I'm still thinking another 5-6 weeks before we assemble the troops for our mission.
Until then, stay on top!
FS

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Sounds like this would be a good time. I have a new (to me) FL-8 flasher to test out. I've never been on any of the madison lakes fishing before.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Walked out out from Gov Island today, there were already a couple ATVs out. I found no less then 6" of good black ice and some areas with 8+". Taking the ATV out next weekend. As for the fishing, found 6 perch and 1 whites (missed just as many too  :( ) . From the time I walked out until I walked back in, a nasty heave formed and looks like it runs the whole length west to east in front of Gov Island. The walk back required a bit a detour (thanks to the guy that pointed out a good spot to cross)

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Storm:
Those heaves freak me out.  I went out of County Park last year first safe ice with an atv, and coming back, I had to go all the way to Capt. Bills to get across it.  Glad you found some fish out there.  Any size to the perch, or were they dinks like last year?  I have a trip up north this coming weekend, but will start focusing on Dota now that it's frozen.  I like 8 or more for my fat a$$, and my heavy quad. 
Maybe late January for our crappie search mission?
FS

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:33 AM »
2 of the 6 were over 9.5", 3 were between 8 and 8.5 and the smallest was just over 7"

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:04 PM »
Those sizes are probably better than last year, for me at least.  Only scraped a few smalls with one or two over 9 last season.  Ran out of time and ice too soon, and never got back out there.  Didn't hear good reports then, and this year I'm hearing the fish are hard to find.  I'll still give it a go, but look forward to the crappie mission in a few weeks. 

Tight lines,
FS

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:04 AM »
a 4 wheeler went through yesterday be careful criss crossing lake you may get wet the person got out and is ok and even kept fishing

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:09 PM »
Yikes, Be care full out there! More warm weather/rain moving in next week, not good for the ice on the main lake. I might poke around that Marshal Park bay a bit on Sunday, ha, I never give up! If nothing happens, will head to Cherokee to tease those big gills with Gulp minnows, keeps the little ones away! Old Goat, have you been out and freezer is full?

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:05 PM »
Madgill I've been out a bit but coming off consecutive goose eggs. Did pick up a nice antique flasher for Christmas. Sloppy now everywhere and getting worse be careful and don't slip and fall. MadGill no fish ever go in the freezer if I do keep a few I fillet them right away and chow.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Ha, I'll bet its' sloppy out there! Crazy weather, first ice was good for me, then too cold, now too warm! I had a few meals of gills in Dec. gave some away and two meals in the freezer, enough for me. That Seafood Center always has some great fish, pricey, but well worth it! Darn warm weather, 50 on Sat., this old timer is staying off the ice! I'll go out on 2" at first ice, but not on this rotten, rain soaked ice, no freezing temps in the extended forecast? I don't need fish that bad, plus I'm sure the water is stained due to runoff. Old Goat got a vintage flasher, is it the old "green box"?? I used to have one of those many years ago, now it's the modern Vexilar! Ha, my father (50+ years ago) brought home limits of big perch every Saturday from Madison lakes with a hand line and a spud bar, ohh, the good old days!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:54 AM »
MadGill the antique flasher is a Si-tex FL-3 and it rocks. On the 2nd goose egg outing I was in 22 ft not marking anything but bottom so I dropped about 6-7 spikes in the hole and the flasher showed each spike all the way down to the bottom. It has one range only of 80 ft. but it does have a switch to change it to 80 fathoms ooh. It is a optional one color red or 2 color red and green display on the screen. Found it NIB I'll show it to you sometime it's a must see item. I did forget to try shooting through the puddles and ice but that's the next test for it. I gotta laugh about some of the talk about the higher priced units as I have 2 si-tex units that can do what the High end units do. The first si-tex was a sh-1 and that cost 5 bucks.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:12 AM »
Maybe my original prediction of Mid-Feb crappie hunting on Mendota was right on...I couldn't have predicted this warmup, but it will be a couple weeks of cold temps before I feel safe exploring the lake with a group.  Stay tuned, but I'm thinking 11th-12th weekend.  Unfortunately the 18th and 19th won't work due to other commitments, but I'll shoot a message out in the next week or so, and we can see how the ice is holding up.  Stay safe,

FS

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Ya, I don't plan on going on Mendota anytime soon. I'm not sure how Monona held up though

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Was down by the terrace on Monona sat., and there were guys out in the middle.  Ice looked very sketchy.  I love ice fishing, but this last warmup kept me away.  I don't like swimming in January.  Now with the snow we are getting, the weak spots will stay weak, and hidden.  Will be at least a week before I venture out on any big lakes.   Heard a couple guys died on Geneva this morning.  Can't believe you would go out there (warmer temps, just froze on the 6th).  Their families will never forgive them for taking the chance.  Hopefully there is plenty of winter left.  I will wait to catch mine.  Stay safe everyone!

FS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.