The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: North hero area  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Trout471

• IceShanty Rookie
North hero area
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Hello all I am looking to take my first trip to lake Champlain ice fishing. I was wondering how is the ice conditions areound the grand use and n hero area.  I’m not looking for people spots just wanna be safe any tips would be great, you can always pm me too
Thanks all

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
Re: North hero area
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:59 PM »
It would help, if you said when and what you were planning on fishing for.  Do you have a wheeler or sled?  Tipups?

But in general most places have good ice.  Some areas may be sketchy after the last few warm days and water widening holes.  Be more specific and you'll get better answers. 

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:43 AM »
I was on both the broad lake side and inland sea side in North Hero yesterday. Lots of water trapped on top of the ice on the broad lake side. It got skimmed over but using a wheeler we broke through and had to power out of it to get on top of good ice. Not a good feeling and I could see some fishermen who walked on have to walk through it and they must have gone over their boots because they left. The Inland Sea side ice was solid and everything is 16" +.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Trout471

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:14 AM »
Thanks for the info guys,  I am using tip ups and jigging rod, hopping for perch and or trout, a walleye would be nice to, I'll be dragging a sled no 4 wheeler unfourtunatly, also by the way how many traps are allowed on the ice in VT, where I am we can use 6, so not sure what to bring as far as traps, Ill prob be dragging a tent along I guess you have to be a guest to rent from holiday harbor unless there is any other place that rents shanties,
thanks for any and all info
John

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:38 AM »
Thanks for the info guys,  I am using tip ups and jigging rod, hopping for perch and or trout, a walleye would be nice to, I'll be dragging a sled no 4 wheeler unfourtunatly, also by the way how many traps are allowed on the ice in VT, where I am we can use 6, so not sure what to bring as far as traps, Ill prob be dragging a tent along I guess you have to be a guest to rent from holiday harbor unless there is any other place that rents shanties,
thanks for any and all info
John
John, 15 "traps" allowed on Champlain, 8 on all inland waters. If you are jigging and using traps, your rod is considered to be one of your lines. So in other words 14 traps plus a rod on Champlain.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:52 AM »
I was on both the broad lake side and inland sea side in North Hero yesterday. Lots of water trapped on top of the ice on the broad lake side. It got skimmed over but using a wheeler we broke through and had to power out of it to get on top of good ice. Not a good feeling and I could see some fishermen who walked on have to walk through it and they must have gone over their boots because they left. The Inland Sea side ice was solid and everything is 16" +.

How is the snow situation on the inland sea side?  I'll most likely be on foot unless I drive my truck out which I don't like doing.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Inland sea side was solid, no snow and the ice was smooth and at least 16". zThere are a few heaves to deal with but for the most part are easily crossed by foot or a wheeler.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Trout471

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:10 AM »
thanks everyone I appreciate the info

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:46 PM »
thanks everyone I appreciate the info

X2 thank you!
westernmas on the finder

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:04 PM »
Good luck Pat. Let me know how you do. I head up in less than 2 weeks.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Good luck Pat. Let me know how you do. I head up in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks Jeff!  Glad to hear that walking a decent distance might be manageable!  I will have a wheeler for next year, just waiting on that bonus!
westernmas on the finder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.