The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: DIY Drill Adapter  (Read 1897 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
DIY Drill Adapter
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:17 AM »
OK, I'm into a MKE Mud Mixer and K-Drill. I do not like I have to worry about the chuck loosening and hate the foam floater. I also have a couple of Mora and Strikemaster drills in different sizes I would like to use. Since I don't require a secondary/pistol grip or need to gear down I want to direct drive. The plan is to fashion a straight piece that will replace the chuck by screwing directly to the mixer/drill just like the chuck does. The piece will be such that I can swap through different augers with a single through bolt.

Here is my question. What material should I make this adapter from? I see that most, if not all, available adapters are aluminum. I have some durability questions there. Options include:

1. Aluminum - Cheap, easy to work, light weight. Cons: may not last forever.

2. Steel/Stainless Steel -  Will not corrode and will likely last into the next century. Cons: SS is more expensive and the most difficult to work, heavier.

3. Brass - Will not corrode, more durable than aluminum, works almost as easily as aluminum and looks nice  ;). Cons: Most expensive, heavy

Completely open to any opinions or experiences. Thanks!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DIY Drill Adapter
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:07 AM »
I got an aluminum one by accident and it sheared. Just make one out of regular steel and put some antiseize on it.

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:28 AM »
steel or stainless. Aluminum and brass won't hold up to the abuse.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:40 AM »
You forgot one other possible material to use...wood.

Yabba-Dabba-Do!!!  :woot: :roflmao:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Steel. Powder coated.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2018, 06:28 PM »
OK, I'm into a MKE Mud Mixer and K-Drill. I do not like I have to worry about the chuck loosening and hate the foam floater. I also have a couple of Mora and Strikemaster drills in different sizes I would like to use. Since I don't require a secondary/pistol grip or need to gear down I want to direct drive. The plan is to fashion a straight piece that will replace the chuck by screwing directly to the mixer/drill just like the chuck does. The piece will be such that I can swap through different augers with a single through bolt.

Here is my question. What material should I make this adapter from? I see that most, if not all, available adapters are aluminum. I have some durability questions there. Options include:

1. Aluminum - Cheap, easy to work, light weight. Cons: may not last forever.

2. Steel/Stainless Steel -  Will not corrode and will likely last into the next century. Cons: SS is more expensive and the most difficult to work, heavier.

3. Brass - Will not corrode, more durable than aluminum, works almost as easily as aluminum and looks nice  ;). Cons: Most expensive, heavy

Completely open to any opinions or experiences. Thanks!

Having the MudMixer and Kdrill means you're not bashfull with your wallet. Don't waste time and money making an adapter.
Buy Milwaukee #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok chuck. It replaces the chuck and the Kdrill slides right in. The Quik-Lok accepts the 3-flat end of the Kdrill and any other 3-flat or hex shaft

Leave Some For Seed

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Having the MudMixer and Kdrill means you're not bashfull with your wallet. Don't waste time and money making an adapter.
Buy Milwaukee #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok chuck. It replaces the chuck and the Kdrill slides right in. The Quik-Lok accepts the 3-flat end of the Kdrill and any other 3-flat or hex shaft

Oh, I'm not entirely spendthrifty. I shopped deals pretty hard and got into the combo for just under $350. I've considered the Quik-Lok and if it was just the K I could probably do that. Maybe I still will. Thing is I'll still be saddled with inferior aluminum adapters if I want to one of the Moras or Strikemasters I was planning on using. I can choose from 3 sizes of Mora (4,6 and 8), 3 Strikemaster drills (a Lazer 10 and a pair of 8s, one Lazer hand drill and one chipper) and I've got a Mini Nero on the way. Hmmm, maybe I need to thin the herd. That will probably happen eventually too. Might even be the K goes away.

I really appreciate everyone's input as I'd like to do this once and get it right. Won't take much by way of $$ to fabricate an adapter, just a time investment. Some round stock, get it center drilled and the rest I can handle with a drill press and some grinding/filing. Heck, I can't figure out with all the demand why someone doesn't produce this commercially. It'd be a pretty simple CNC program with cheap materials.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

@Iceassin: No bonus points for impersonating my old man.  ;)2 He made everything out of wood and was always surprised when it didn't last very long. In marine or outdoor environments wood is the last choice (though I do have a couple thousand board feet of black walnut  ::)).

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2018, 07:57 PM »
There's no easy way to take off the handle? I have a clam plate I can bring when we get together next month if you want to see if it will fit.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Easy way? No. I'm sure a partial disassembly could liberate it. But I really like the handle that's there. It's way more solid than any detachable handle and very adjustable for angle. I'd like to see the plate so plan on bringing it. Does the Clam plate fit all augers or are there adapters for each mfg? Plus it would add more weight than a simple cylinder of steel.

I know, I seem a little single minded on this but any other solution seems equally complicated. The singular adapter is simple and (in my little pea brain) multi-functional, at least the way I've envisioned it. Rummaged through the shop and found a piece of 1.25" SS round stock. Next week I'll prevail on my buddy to drill it for me. We'll see what else he can do for me before I get my hands on it. I'm pretty resourceful all on my own. After all, it's not rocket science is it?  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.