Author Topic: Chain or not to Chain  (Read 4718 times)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Chain or not to Chain
« on: Mar 17, 2018, 06:16 AM »
Just started using a wheeler this year for ice fishing. Had no problems early with the lack of snow I'm sure right now it is a different story. I fished with Roccus last month and he had chains on his wheeler noticed in Jibbs post that they did not. Just wonder your thoughts for people that use wheelers. Assuming that it is not an option to keep taking them off and putting them back on.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chain or not to Chain
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2018, 06:26 AM »
I don’t have a wheeler at the moment (unless you consider and Argo a wheeler) when I did use a Polaris, I used chains because I plowed my driveway with it and also used it for ice fishing. Chains were definitely a plus on the lakes and yes once you got them on they were there until the weather dictate they come off. Not a pleasant job ( for me anyways)!

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2018, 07:49 AM »
For ice fishing purposes, I would always recommend a set of rear tire chains at the very least -- they are not that expensive -- a set of Moose V-Bar chains are only $55-60...!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2018, 09:08 AM »
I never use chains well I shouldn’t say never..one year I used them due to a ton of snow and it made I big difference ..I think it’s worth putting them on but I get by without them.
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2018, 11:07 AM »
I didn't use chains for several years and sometimes things were difficult. But now after having them for many years, I would NEVER go back to not using them. The grip is unbelievable. I never have any problems on the ice or even in a considerable amount of snow. 
Yea they can be a pain to put on, but it's only an hour for a whole season of peace of mind.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Stud a spare set of tires

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2018, 12:55 PM »
I didn't use chains for several years and sometimes things were difficult. But now after having them for many years, I would NEVER go back to not using them. The grip is unbelievable. I never have any problems on the ice or even in a considerable amount of snow. 
Yea they can be a pain to put on, but it's only an hour for a whole season of peace of mind.

Agreed would not go out without chains after having them for many years.  It takes time to get them on but well worth it and they are inexpensive.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I agree too I use chains on the rear only in my quad and give great traction never get stuck. The set of chains I have don't take more than 15 min to put on and off real easy we'll worth it in my opinion.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Yeah chains are great until they come unraveled

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Chains are the only way to travel !  :)

Fishmon

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2018, 07:06 AM »
If you use rear chains only remember to leave in 2 wheel drive.  If you go with chains on all 4, OK to use 4 wheel drive.  Otherwise, you risk messing up your drive train. 

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:16 AM »
If you use rear chains only remember to leave in 2 wheel drive.  If you go with chains on all 4, OK to use 4 wheel drive.  Otherwise, you risk messing up your drive train.

Not sure I follow your logic on this...in 4WD on a slippery surface the non-chained wheels will simply spin when needed. On pavement for sure just 2WD. I don’t think you can mess up the drive train on ice under any conditions.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2018, 12:32 PM »
I use chains on all 4 wheels because I need it for pulling my BobHouse.  My next machine will have tracks so I can pull in deep snow.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2018, 01:47 PM »
I’ve never used chains. Hate it when I’m running for flags and they hit my chin.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2018, 03:12 PM »
I’ve never used chains. Hate it when I’m running for flags and they hit my chin.

Lol

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2018, 04:20 PM »
2 lug V bar on the rear. ..carbide studs on the front. ..when I first got the wheeler I used it without them...it only took one season to realize their value. .
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2018, 05:52 PM »
The only time I use chains out on the ice is to yank out stuck four wheelers.  Hahaha, just kinding- kind of...

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline bassboat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2018, 02:43 AM »
I don't use chains (Foreman all-time 4WD w/ deep mudders). The sled's on the back rack, so I can ramp and go. If it's too deep, I bring the Indy.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Can anyone recommend a set of chains? Looking to get some rear chains for my Kawasaki Prairie 6500. Thanks!
Just add water.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2018, 12:25 PM »
For an over view of chains google tire chains for atv.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2018, 02:30 PM »
For an over view of chains google tire chains for atv.

Thanks but looking for actual Ice Shanty member reviews instead of random reviews for the product itself. No better opinions than here.
Just add water.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Can anyone recommend a set of chains? Looking to get some rear chains for my Kawasaki Prairie 6500. Thanks!

I recommend V-bar with  some type of chain tighteners. I have chains for each tire but usually only do the rear tires unless the snow is up to my @##.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Chains for me, Front and Back. For pulling power.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2018, 07:39 PM »

Definitely go with v-bar chains. These are what I use, I think they were Raiders. I use them front and rear. I found when moving along all loaded up on straight ice, the quad wanted to push and not turn so we'll. On glare ice I can turn on a dime, and it helps with pulling power when locked up.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2018, 08:36 AM »
 2 link V bar... by going 2 link you cut down on the roughness of the ride... the only reason I did not chain the front was because it would require spacers on the Polaris I have... I have deep lugs and studs...and have never had an issue.. studs help a lot on glare ice.. I can check the brand when I get home... I have the box they are stored in out .. right now I have the chains soaking in a bucket of oil...

as a tensioner..i use bungee cords run through S links around the circumference of the tire to keep them tight...

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Thanks everyone! Sounds like the 2 link V-bar it is.

Roccus - I can attest that your rig worked GREAT! I am also trying to do a similar setup with the cooler for bait but I do not remember how you had that box attached to the wheeler. First step is I need a hitch added to my atv. Not sure what this will cost.

So far the plan will be to fish the big lakes at least 2 times next season. Possibly 3 if I can get up there for the derby as well. The machine will be a big help for the old man and I so I am trying to rig it up so he can use it to reach his tip ups without walking much, similar to you Joe. Auger, Tip ups, and bait all on the ATV. The rest can go on the sled.
Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Thanks everyone! Sounds like the 2 link V-bar it is.

Roccus - I can attest that your rig worked GREAT! I am also trying to do a similar setup with the cooler for bait but I do not remember how you had that box attached to the wheeler. First step is I need a hitch added to my atv. Not sure what this will cost.

So far the plan will be to fish the big lakes at least 2 times next season. Possibly 3 if I can get up there for the derby as well. The machine will be a big help for the old man and I so I am trying to rig it up so he can use it to reach his tip ups without walking much, similar to you Joe. Auger, Tip ups, and bait all on the ATV. The rest can go on the sled.
...What I did was through bolt  with a 7/8" carriage bolt  ( through a plate) into a receiver .. I also added a "U" bolt to the bottom which extends beyond the box itself  with   nuts and washers to keep the box from spinning... on the bottom of the larger through bolt( under the box) I used a bent ( heated with a torch) piece of steel that I bolted a 1/2" eye bolt for towing my sleds (thread diameter) that piece of 1/4"  steel  extended back to the "u" bolt to keep that from twisting... the whole rig comes off  simply pulling the pin and removing the receiver. I can take some pictures and do a little "how to:" in another thread.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2018, 11:30 AM »
Chains are the only way to travel !  :)
Not true....tracks are slow but they "are the only way to travel"  :)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Bump to ATV's on Ice..

Fishmon

« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Not sure I follow your logic on this...in 4WD on a slippery surface the non-chained wheels will simply spin when needed. On pavement for sure just 2WD. I don’t think you can mess up the drive train on ice under any conditions.

Just saw this thread pop up again.  Best thing to do is check your owner's manual or check with dealer.  I have an arctic cat with a CVT drive which can be damaged if put in 4 wheel drive with just back tires chained.  Dealer's mechanic told me this when I purchased the machine.  I use chains on all 4 wheels and it goes just about anywhere unless snow is over a foot deep.  When there is just a small amount of snow on ice that is crusty,  I take front chains off and put it in two wheel drive and go as fast as I want to.  Never had any problems in the six years I have owned the machine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.