The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: How often do you sharpen auger blades?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How often do you sharpen auger blades?
« on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Just curious how often you do it- every year? every 2 yrs? every 3?

I usually do it every other  year at least, but last year never got around to sending them out to be sharpened. Just put on new blades for the first time in almost 3 yrs and man, what  difference!  :o
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: How often do you sharpen auger blades?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Have never changed or sharpened blades, clean ice, no sand around here!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:21 AM »
When I had my Z51 Eskimo I would touch mine up every other trip out. Doesn't take more that a few minutes. Sharp blades are great. I have the Nero Mini now and have went out 15 times with it and touched them up once. Didn't even need it though. I will touch them up again  after my next trip.
<===Lefty===

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Gills- how many years do you have on those blades?

I was amazed at the difference with the new blades! It ripped thru that ice shockingly quick. I probably should have done this last year, but with the electric auger, it is hard to tell how dull they really are!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Gills- how many years do you have on those blades?

I was amazed at the difference with the new blades! It ripped thru that ice shockingly quick. I probably should have done this last year, but with the electric auger, it is hard to tell how dull they really are!  ::)
.     Have a 5” that I have used about 10 years, fish almost every day, retired that one in the barn. .have a 6” lazer with about 6 years on them cut like new. Most guys don’t understand, no banging on ice, never loan out, and guard always on unless drilling holes, u would be surprised how long they will last!!  I drill all the holes when I fish with guys, don’t want them banging on the ice, and we drill a lot of holes. I know guys that put new blades on every year, hard to believe but they do !!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:30 PM »
i have never sharpened any of my blades..gas or hand auger.my jiffy chipper blades are from 1971.my mora 5" is 15 years old and my lazer 5" is 10.i buy new when needed but I get  about 10 years or better on a set without sharpening.no banging,chipping ice off or drilling into the bottom with them.thats why the blades are so expensive they should last a long time.i wipe them down after every use and always have a cover on them too.i buy lots of augers at garage sales for cheap and they look like blades are  not taken care of.i store all my augers in a closet in the house so they wont rust also.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:36 PM »
When I used the old spoon type, every couple years, had to have them sharpened, was younger and didn’t pay attention to the guard much and just threw in back of truck !

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:38 PM »
When I used the old spoon type, every couple years, had to have them sharpened, was younger and didn’t pay attention to the guard much and just threw in back of truck !
ive got a couple old spoon augers..guards still on them.one is on my garage outside wall hanging on display because it pretty rusted.i realized real quick that don't let friends use my augers,lol

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:46 PM »
That’s for sure, don’t matter how good of friend, I drill the holes !!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:50 PM »
That’s for sure, don’t matter how good of friend, I drill the holes !!
haha.right on.my buddy just bought a used 8 inch lazer,came out to where I was I hear bang,bang bang 1st thing like he was starting a pilot hole or something. next thing he walks over and said it wouldnt cut.i grabbed it and tried to cut a hole and it only wobbled,done screwed up the blade angle that quick.lol

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:42 PM »
I just sharpen mine whenever they start cutting less than optimal...

Some years just a preseason touch up, also had to sharpen them a few times a season (son of a beach ice near a wind blown beach)....

<°)))>{

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:49 PM »
I could run my Mora hand job for years (I went 5 years once) without touching them. Exceptions were if I banged it on the ice, leaned on it on a hard surface (like ice), hit or ran thru something in the ice, run it down into rocks (once) or sand, or let some jack wagon use it (twice and never again).

Blades last a long time if you treat 'em like glass. They're not hard to touch up if you know the procedure, more work if they got severely dinged.

Trying to drill with dull blades is like, well, digging out your driveway after a foot of snow and the county plows gifts with a garden trowel.  ::)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Another bit of advice is to carry a spare set of fresh blades and an Allen wrench in case you run into something (or someone) stupid. Cheap insurance to be able to complete a trip.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05:11 AM »
I have always carried an extra set of blades and tools to change them. Never wanted to have one of those days ruined by dual or broken blades. When I had my Gas Auger I also carried extra Spark Plugs and tune up kit. But now with the Nero Mini it is blades and a screw driver.
<===Lefty===

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:03 PM »
.     Have a 5” that I have used about 10 years, fish almost every day, retired that one in the barn. .have a 6” lazer with about 6 years on them cut like new. Most guys don’t understand, no banging on ice, never loan out, and guard always on unless drilling holes, u would be surprised how long they will last!!  I drill all the holes when I fish with guys, don’t want them banging on the ice, and we drill a lot of holes. I know guys that put new blades on every year, hard to believe but they do !!
I have a jiffy el junko and have drilled 750 holes in 10 years on 3 sets of blades. costs for auger, gas, blades, and a recent tune up comes to $1.25 per hole (minus what I have left). I now move on to a mako tomorrow.

Well during summer I sold the junk jiffy for $40 included factory demo power head, new teeth and a gas can full of new fuel. I am rid of a headache and would have given it away free, except for the fuel.
Thread killer

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:13 AM »
I have a 4 inch laser that is close to 20 years old, with the same un sharpened blade .  Cuts Great!  8 inch Eskimo power auger that is fast still too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.