The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Converting a engine spun auger tip to Cordless Drill?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
i have a Mora 6” auger on an older engine that i hardly ever use.  I also have a IceMaster Auger Adapter that I have used with my Nils auger and an 18v Porter Cable Drill.  I am thinking about reserving the Nils for hand crank use only, and using the auger tip from the power auger with the cordless drill.    I would have to have an adapter made to do that, which would not be too difficult.

However, my question is are the power auger drills different?  Do they need the RPM and power of the gas engine to work, or will the Cordless Drill work?  The auger blades are the chipper style, not the smooth edge like on the Nils.   Before I have an adapter made, I thought I would ask to see if this has already been done.

Thanks

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Converting a engine spun auger tip to Cordless Drill?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:47 AM »

i have a Mora 6” auger on an older engine

The auger blades are the chipper style, not the smooth edge like on the Nils. 

Mora bits are not typically mounted on gassers...

Although, I use an 8" Mora that's been adapted to fit my gas Eskimo, it is dedicated to/for post hole earth drilling.. An ice bit will always drill dirt, but any bit that's been used in dirt, will never, without new blades, and maybe even not then, be able to drill ice again...

A Mora is a hand auger bit, with shaver blades, blue in color... Shaver blades can also have cuts that look knife serrations, and still not be a true chipper style.

Chipper blades are usually, as far as I know, single cutter (except Kdrill which has two blades), held at a steeper angle, and spun at higher RPMs,

If what you are actually asking is, if you can run a gas auger bit (heavy) on a drill, its not recommend really...

Hopefully that helps...

Good luck!!

<°)))>{

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Thank you for your response. Here are some pictures to show what I have.  It is a Mora Auger at least according to the sticker - although it is black in color.  It is on a Strikemaster auger engine that originally had a 10" blade, which was much too big for my use.  So I sold that blade on Ebay and bought a new 6" directly from Strikemaster.  My thought is that I could just manufacture a piece of round axle stock to connect to the auger, and then to the drill.  I would probably shape the drill side of it flat so the drill would have a better connection.   The blades are made in Sweden, so I am thinking this is a auger worth saving.
My other option is to buy an electric style auger head without the auger, and use this blade on it.  But I've got several heavy duty drills to use as well.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Follow up to this conversation:  I called David at Ice Master Adapter with this issue.  He not only called me back right away, but he offered to rig up a unit that would make this work for me.
I told him I planned to buy a Milwaukee Mud Mixer to run it and he said it will have no issue drilling holes!  I ordered the drill today from Home Depot and got a free cordless vacuum with the unit, plus charger and battery.  Not a bad deal.

Thanks for the reply Ice Scratcher and most of all thanks to David from Ice Master Adapter!

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Wise choice with the mud mixer they work fantastic.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.