The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster 4 stroke issues  (Read 7839 times)

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
Strikemaster 4 stroke issues
« on: Dec 26, 2017, 12:46 PM »
I have the strike lite auger with the Honda 4 stroke powerhead. The problem im having is that at wide open throttle it will bog out and shut off. Has anyone experienced this issue ?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Strikemaster 4 stroke issues
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Sounds like bad gas and clogged carb.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Sounds like bad gas and clogged carb.

Not familiar with the 4 stroke ...but start with good gas fil auger tank 1/4 ...add a shot or two of SeaFoam...start ..run till warm up ...kill with choke ...let sit...1/2 hour ...repeat .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Are you using fresh gas and letting it warm up a little? I use SeaFoam in all my small engines. My Strike lite has been trouble free. Sounds like yours could be running a little lean. Hardwater diehard has a very good suggestion to clean things up a bit.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2017, 02:17 PM »
Are you using fresh gas and letting it warm up a little? I use SeaFoam in all my small engines. My Strike lite has been trouble free. Sounds like yours could be running a little lean. Hardwater diehard has a very good suggestion to clean things up a bit.

Yes I run ethanol free 91 in all my small engines, i let it warm up for a couple minutes. This has been an issue since day one. Every once and while it will run great but most of the time it will not run wide open

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2017, 02:37 PM »
An Adjustment is needed. Might be a loose one.
<===Lefty===

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2017, 02:45 PM »
I have a Honda repair shop here so it would be easy for me.

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Well I took the carb apart gave it a good cleaning , and i also noticed,that the fuel filter in the gas tank seemed pretty restricted so I removed the outer felt filter. There is still another filter inside of that so I figured it would be fine. Put some fresh gas in it fired it up and is running flawlessly. Going to put it to the test tomorrow

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Funny you should post this because I'm having the same issue with my strikemaster 2 stroke. it starts fine but when I tried to drill under full power it would shut off. Had to drill at half power today. What a PITA. I am going to take it apart tomorrow and clean the carb. I'm also going to try the seafoam trick too.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Once again Iceshanty.com helps again.  Thank you all for your tips. I cleaned the carb, and added seafoam. Auger runs way better now.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Once again Iceshanty.com helps again.  Thank you all for your tips. I cleaned the carb, and added seafoam. Auger runs way better now.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :flex: :flex: :flex: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:...my first tank always get a lil more SeaForm in an already mixed gas w/SeaFoam.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:12 PM »
I know guys that race cars and they call SeaFoam mechanic in a can. They say they don't know what's in it, but it just flat works. If it's good enough for their expensive engines it's a no brainer for me.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:38 PM »
I was at the local parts store looking for some Seafoam . The guy said the Vendor was just there last week and was out of Gas in his Truck. He poured 13 bottles in his truck and drove it down to the gas station from there. He had that much faith in it.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:46 PM »

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I loves me some fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2018, 02:20 PM »
I have the strike lite auger with the Honda 4 stroke powerhead. The problem im having is that at wide open throttle it will bog out and shut off. Has anyone experienced this issue ?

I have the same auger,  let it warm up fully. it will be fine

Ise de by who catches the fish...and takes em home to Liza.

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:17 AM »
I have the Honda as well.  I too thought the problem was with power but it is not the gas or carb.  Seeing it has a self fentilated gas cap it does not vent properly when the gas tank is very full.  Simply loosen the gas cap and re-tighten it and it vents returning your power.  I used tru fuel the first tank and was kicking myself that I messed it up,then I read somewhere about the gas cap.  No problems since, and when the gas tank is drawn down a little there is no need to hand vent it anymore.   

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Wasn't the gas cap or not letting it warm up tried both of those . I cleaned the carb and the filter on the intake line in the tank and it ran great after that

Offline Zwy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2018, 08:52 PM »
I'm having an issue with mine.  Oil keeps getting into the carb from the crankcase vent.  I've tried it with less oil even down to the very tip of the dipstick.  I check it the recomended way with the end of auger propped up so engine is level.  It will start and run until too much oil gets into air cleaner.  It will not idle after it warms up and the spark plug keeps getting fouled up with carbon.  Clean the carb and air filter from the oil runs until again it gets full of oil.  Any help would be appreciated.  I checked compression at 85psi.  Valves are adjusted to specs.  Getting really frustrated.

Offline Zwy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Called Honda Tech today.  They said it had to be too much oil.  Told them thats not it and I'm suppose to take it to my nearest dealer.  Will update with whatever they figure out.  Its got me stumped.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2018, 07:15 AM »
I've had my honda four stroke since they came out, back when they changed the recomended oil after my first year of using it....lol. Yeah only the tip of the dipstick is suposed to be in the oil when its properly filled, which drives me nuts but thats the way of it. I overfilled it once, it started leaking oil out, then ran and drianed it....ran and drained it...now havent had a problem since then. ONly thing I don't like about it is on really cold days the throttle can freeze up, easy to fix by bringing it in the shack or reaching up and pushing it back into place...everything has a qirk, my friend got the strimaster battery auger, that is really nice, probably be what replaces this one eventually.
Hope you got your issues sorted out.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Zwy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2018, 03:29 PM »
Well I think some nice fellow that owned it prior to me sold me his junk.  Didn't know it at the time because I only had him start it to verify it would run.  It will start and run fine long enough to drill a few holes.  Honda tech said theres metal in the oil and said without tearing it apart that its in the piston and main bearings.  Well didn't figure it was worth new parts and labor to have him fix it when I can get a new motor for 259 free shipping.  So just to verify that it was what he said I tore it all apart.  Sure enough the cylinder walls are grooved.  The piston has grooves on it.  The main bearings and rod bearings have excessive play also.  Now I'm debating new motor or just go with an electric one.
So I guess you can't trust everyone just baffles me as to what he did to it.  Honda tech says a big problem is people don't let them warm up properly before drilling.  Thought it was a good way to go with all the good reviews but now kinda think its a poor design and it won't last very long.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.