The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: HT Mini Nero  (Read 16191 times)

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HT Mini Nero
« Reply #60 on: Dec 01, 2018, 11:07 AM »
So, what’s making the Nero a Hero? Laser, Nils, seem to work just fine. Is it just the folding handle?

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 01, 2018, 11:17 AM »
The nils and Nero are not comparable from a price standpoint. The Nero will come completely set up for hand augering and drill kit for under $100. Also when comparing the price of replacement blades the nils comes in at $60 or more and the Nero is under $15 all day. I can't wait to see the side by side videos this winter! The Nero is super aggressive without the arm breaking action of a lazer at the finish.

A lazer will run you $75 or more and you will need to source an extension and adapter, coming in slightly more expensive than the Nero. But you will have to contend with the aforementioned seizing at the finish of the hole and also the blades I believe are significantly more expensive by comparison.

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 22, 2018, 06:44 PM »
I bit the bullet and bought a Nero a week ago to run on my Milwaukee Fuel drill. Man does this thing rip through the ice fast! Impressive!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 22, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Hey Tye, what were you using prior?

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:14 PM »
I have an 8" Finbore I had before I got the 7" Nero

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 22, 2018, 11:26 PM »
Took my Nero 6” out last week just to see how it worked. Drilled several holes,(by hand), in 8+ inches of ice, and was pleasantly surprised. Cut like a champ with no complaints, even when compared to my 6” Nils. The best features in my opinion is the light weight, the fact it folds down to a compact size, and the ease of cutting with the offset handles. Looking forward to putting it in a pack and hitting some of the high lakes. I also want to see how it works with the drill attachment. Very satisfied with the Nero.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 23, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I'm sold on the Nero also. Not quite as silky as a Nils but very tough. My 7" went through a half dozen holes in 12" of dirty ice at the Mile last week and the grit didn't faze it one bit.

My current setup, after much experimenting, is a Ridgid Octane/ Kovac adaptor/ 7" Nero. Don't need a Clam plate at all. Fast, about 3"/second. Light and would be about 2 lbs even

lighter with a Milwaukee Fuel though the Fuel seems to cry out for the Clam plate. Sweet little rig and Tonka tough.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 23, 2018, 11:16 AM »
The fuel cries out for the clam plate? Explain....

I did upwards of 100 holes in 6"-8" of ice last weekend with my Fuel and 7" Nero and only used 2 of 4 bars on my 5ah battery.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #68 on: Dec 23, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Been using my Nils 8" and my M18 Fuel (into my 3rd season) with no Clam Plate.  No problems at all.  It's a pretty smooth rig.  I think the Clam Plate thing is to provide safety in holding the torque of the M18, but not sure.  Just got a 7" Nero and waiting to get out on ice with it and my M18.
Went the M18 way to shed some weight - been a very good move.  I also use the M18 on a 6" Normark Finbore Micro (no longer avaialble) great panfish rig.
If the Nero works out like I think, the Nils may be going away.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 23, 2018, 11:47 AM »
FFP, get out there and give us your review!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:44 PM »
The fuel cries out for the clam plate? Explain....

Last year I was running a Fuel drill through a Kovac adaptor to an 8" Blue Nils and also an 8" LazerMag with the ripper teeth. Every time either bit would catch and they sometimes did and always at break through, that jolt would go right back up my non-trigger arm or wrench my wrist. Just too powerful a drill with such an undersized auxiliary handle. When I mounted it to a Clam plate, I was able to get the leverage and trigger control to make a very serviceable unit. By the way, the Fuel drill marries up very well with a Clam plate which is something the Ridgid Octane does not do.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 23, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Been using my Nils 8" and my M18 Fuel (into my 3rd season) with no Clam Plate.  No problems at all.  It's a pretty smooth rig.  I think the Clam Plate thing is to provide safety in holding the torque of the M18, but not sure.  Just got a 7" Nero and waiting to get out on ice with it and my M18.
Went the M18 way to shed some weight - been a very good move.  I also use the M18 on a 6" Normark Finbore Micro (no longer avaialble) great panfish rig.
If the Nero works out like I think, the Nils may be going away.

I sold my 8" Nils after I got the 7" Nero. Lighter, more compact, fast and it can take a beating. Cheap blades and no cutting head to deal with is a bonus.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Working on my 2nd year now with the 7" Nero(I do have a 6" as well) Haven't used the 6" but that 7" Nero with my 700 "# Ridgid flies through the ice. I did take my 6" Silver tip today and tried it out. It was stubborn to get started but then worked great, Better than my old Z51 Gas Eskimo but no where near as good as the Nero.
<===Lefty===

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:53 PM »
Took a quick video of my 7" Nero today. 12 inches of ice.

https://youtu.be/Kvc5QvB9wNE

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2019, 03:57 AM »
Got out with my new 7" Nero and M18 drill.  It's a beast.  !0" of ice and something like 5 turns of the auger to make a hole!  Not as smooth as the Nils combo but nice and it's lighter (my goal). I think the 7" is going to do the job for me.  Anyways, I like it and am satisfied.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:55 AM »

<===Lefty===

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Nice ice. How are you using the paint can?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #77 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Nice ice. How are you using the paint can?
LOL - My LX7 is sitting on top of it.  It's a table in that PIC, I guess.  ;D

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Jan 13, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Where are people getting the replacement blades for the Nero (7 inch)? I've been searching the model number but haven't been finding them cheap.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 13, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Where are people getting the replacement blades for the Nero (7 inch)? I've been searching the model number but haven't been finding them cheap.

I just ordered a set from a website called Total Sports last week. I had trouble finding the 7" size  without a big markup. They charged me tax but they were still under $17 using the free shipping and I had them in 2 days.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Jan 13, 2019, 02:47 PM »
http://htice.com/mini-nero-telescopic-russian-hand-auger-replacement-blades/#
<===Lefty===

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #81 on: Jan 13, 2019, 03:03 PM »
I got a spare when the auger was ordered and I bought another spare off EBAY ~15$.  Don't know if they are still available.

Offline nkocak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 13, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Anyone have trouble with the Nero “skipping” on glare ice? Right out of the box it skipped a lot even at slow speed try to catch the ice. I’m hoping I didn’t get one that the angle is off. Once it caught it drilled ok, but not super impressive. From what I am hearing it sounds like it should be a bit better then my results.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #83 on: Jan 13, 2019, 04:35 PM »
You hand drilling or with power source?  Make sure your blades are sharp and no rolled edges.  I have not seen any issues starting a hole in the little 50 I've drilled to date.

Offline nkocak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 13, 2019, 04:49 PM »
It was out of the box. Skipped all over until it caught.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #85 on: Jan 13, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Anyone have trouble with the Nero “skipping” on glare ice? Right out of the box it skipped a lot even at slow speed try to catch the ice. I’m hoping I didn’t get one that the angle is off. Once it caught it drilled ok, but not super impressive. From what I am hearing it sounds like it should be a bit better then my results.
my mora skips and walks all over at slow speeds  too.my method is to put the auger  on the ice and full power it  and cuts right in that way.slow start it  walks around on glare ice.im using a octane clam  plate.shoudnt walk cutting by hand.its a offset handle auger that takes both arms turning it that takes  some practice

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #86 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:24 PM »
It was out of the box. Skipped all over until it caught.
Drilling by hand - offset handle.  You need to get practiced into using both arms to crank that, keeping the auger straight and wobble free, as much as possible.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:28 PM »
Used my Nero 6” on 18” of clear, black ice and it cut like a dream! I agree the offset handles take a bit to get used to, but I bet I can cut a hole as fast, if not faster than a power auger. MYO

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #88 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Used my Nero 6” on 18” of clear, black ice and it cut like a dream! I agree the offset handles take a bit to get used to, but I bet I can cut a hole as fast, if not faster than a power auger. MYO
Too bad you are so far away from me.  I'd take that bet and use my 7" against your 6.   ::)  I'd even do best of 3 and spot ya one.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:35 PM »
^^^yeah, but I’m 69 years old! Lol

I’m just going by some of the augers I hear running on the ice. Some of them sound like they need tune-ups, or a least a good set of sharp blades!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.