Author Topic: Using 20lb Propane Tank with Mr. Buddy Heater???  (Read 25967 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Using 20lb Propane Tank with Mr. Buddy Heater???
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Ok, I am getting tired of burning through 1lb propane tank with my Mr. Buddy heater.  It hasn't been that cold and I go through (2) 1lb bottles a day. So, I am going to use my 20lb tanks.  For those who use 20lb tanks, do you keep the the tank inside the shack with you?  Or do you leave it outside the shack and run the hose underneath (or through an opening) the shack?

Any advice or practical experience would be appreciated.

d1

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Using 20lb Propane Tank with Mr. Buddy Heater???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:25 PM »
I leave the tank outside and use a mr heater filter screwed onto the heater inlet.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:25 PM »
I leave the 20lb tank outside and run the hose underneath in my fish house.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:48 PM »
I leave the tank outside and use a mr heater filter screwed onto the heater inlet.

The hose I bought indicates I don't need a filter, but I guess it couldn't hurt.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:49 PM »
I leave the 20lb tank outside and run the hose underneath in my fish house.

Thanks for the reply.  Leaving it outside will definitely free up more space inside the shack.

d1

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:04 PM »
Out side. A 20 pound tank has a relief valve if it blows in side it's going to be ugly. :nono:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:16 PM »
The hose I bought indicates I don't need a filter, but I guess it couldn't hurt.  Thanks for the reply.
If it is a black hose I would use a filter. Unless things have changed, the green Mr Heater hose doesn't need a filter.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:16 PM »
i also use a filter and leave it outside of the shanty

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:01 PM »
If it is a black hose I would use a filter. Unless things have changed, the green Mr Heater hose doesn't need a filter.

It is the Mr. Heater brand hose.  I should be good to go.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:12 PM »
And they call it a green hose but it is a black colored hose. I think they only sell it in ten foot lengths. I run my green hose with no filter and have not had a problem in over six years. I use a five pound tank OUTSIDE of the shanty.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:32 PM »
And they call it a green hose but it is a black colored hose. I think they only sell it in ten foot lengths. I run my green hose with no filter and have not had a problem in over six years. I use a five pound tank OUTSIDE of the shanty.

How do you like using the 5 lb tanks?  Do you bring more than one with you when you go out?

d1

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:07 PM »
I leave mine inside, someone probably steal it if it were outside. I made my bench high enough to put it under. I run a filter but am not sure how many tanks 1 filter is good for? If the relief valve blows you got bigger problems than the relief valve, I'll guarantee it. These tanks don't just explode randomly, if they did OSHA would not let us have them in our BBQ grills.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRl-6DqZLYAhVEQSYKHRwPCHYQFghAMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.propane101.com%2Fexplodingpropanetanks.htm&usg=AOvVaw2xrqVlnA6XfFAt5xPO728w
It must be something in the water.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:08 PM »
Use a fiver on my Buddy. Goes a couple of days in my Evo 2. A lot easier than a twenty. Fuel has more space to vaporize, doesn't freeze up the tank.

Offline bighornrmk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I use a 11 lb tank and keep it in side.  Works great and lasts a long time.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:29 PM »
The "Mr heater buddy series hose" is 10' long, is green and is the one specified to be ok to use without a filter. I believe a filter needs to be used with the black hoses since they can release oils and other impurities when under pressure which can cause the heater to malfunction. The Big Buddy hose has a regulator on the tank end so the hose isn't under high pressure and doesn"t need a filter.. Some folks use the black hose without a filter with no problems. Not so in my situation. Mr Heater suggests replacing the filter annually.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Fuel has more space to vaporize, doesn't freeze up the tank.

Can you elaborate on this?  I don't understand the differences between the 20 and 5 lb tanks and how they would exhibit different characteristics.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:56 PM »
How do you like using the 5 lb tanks?  Do you bring more than one with you when you go out?

d1
It is the only way to go if you ask me. The only down side is the price they run about 50 dollars. But it only cost about 4.50 to refill at my local Uhaul truck rental. I can run my buddy heater over 12 hours on high with it so I only bring one. If you need a longer run time they sell a 11 pound tank as well. Save that 20 pound tank for the BBQ grill!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Difference between the 1 lb and five.  The small one will freeze up when cold.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:08 PM »
The "Mr heater buddy series hose" is 10' long, is green and is the one specified to be ok to use without a filter. I believe a filter needs to be used with the black hoses since they can release oils and other impurities when under pressure which can cause the heater to malfunction. The Big Buddy hose has a regulator on the tank end so the hose isn't under high pressure and doesn"t need a filter.. Some folks use the black hose without a filter with no problems. Not so in my situation. Mr Heater suggests replacing the filter annually.
Sorry when they first came out they called them a green hose that was really black. Now they are green .
http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/10ft-buddy-series-propane-hose-assembly.html

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Thought that was what I said. ;)

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:12 AM »
It is the only way to go if you ask me. The only down side is the price they run about 50 dollars. But it only cost about 4.50 to refill at my local Uhaul truck rental. I can run my buddy heater over 12 hours on high with it so I only bring one. If you need a longer run time they sell a 11 pound tank as well. Save that 20 pound tank for the BBQ grill!

The cost at my local Tractor Supply is about $2.60 to fill up, and they only charge for what they put in.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:08 PM »
leaving a 20 pounder outside is saving more space inside , a hole just big enough for the hose to fit through the wall with a rubber flap to cover it when disconnected and store the tank inside when not in use.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:34 PM »
The cost at my local Tractor Supply is about $2.60 to fill up, and they only charge for what they put in.
Thanks for the heads up. I thought I was getting a deal. The local propane place charges $10 and thats a flat rate even if its almost full.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.