The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2017 / 2018 northern WI reports  (Read 3766 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
2017 / 2018 northern WI reports
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:12 AM »
I thought I would start a new topic so people don't need to scroll through 3 pages of last years reports. I will be fishing tomorrow Saturday will report back then. I know there is safe ice but be very careful on many lakes this new snow is on top of maybe 2 inches of ice on big lakes that froze late. I have at least 12 inches of snow in my yard.

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2017 / 2018 northern WI reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:34 AM »
I'll be out Sat and Sunday.  I haven't been out yet, but some of my buddies that have been going have been doing really well on eye's and gills this week.  Really watch where you're going and keep checking that ice.  My buddy was out on a lake near Rice Lake this week and in the bay he was in, there was a pretty consistent 6" of ice.  They moved 20 yards away and there was less than 2".  It's going to be that way for a while now with the snow on the ice.  So far in our area the snow hasn't pushed down the ice, but I heard that up toward Hayward it was pretty slushy...  Good luck and leave a few for me!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Was out on one of the big deep lakes around Hayward had slush and about 4" of poor looking ice around shore until you got out maybe 25-30 yards onto the lake then had a good 4-1/2" of ice as clear as a plate glass window, didn't do well fishing but I was impressed by the clear ice and no slush once you got out a little bit onto the lake. Cold coming this weekend, Christmas day high of minus -6° low minus -15° that should help add some thickness to the ice. Did not see any 4 wheelers or snowmobile on the lakes yet, everyone is still spooked. So far I think 3 dead in MN. so far fell through the ice. So far this winter 2 trucks and 2 or 3  four wheelers have gone through. The ice did not freeze evenly and hard to tell now with the snow cover, be very careful out there. Every where I go I am still walking and spuding.

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:16 PM »
Yes good advice about venturing out.  The icefisherman were out on Red Lake in Northern MN as that is typically colder than us.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:43 AM »
Been out in Washburn county. Ice varies by location. Been taking my ATV out on Shell Lake South bay where there is a solid 6" but other lakes are still in the 3-4" with slush. Going to be interesting once we get this snow the next few days. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Yes good advice about venturing out.  The icefisherman were out on Red Lake in Northern MN as that is typically colder than us.
I heard about the 2 that died on red lake but last saturday COHASSET, Minn. - A Cohasset woman died Saturday when the ATV she was riding fell through the ice on a rural Itasca County lake (Grace Lake)
Just makes me wonder what is going to happen when all the people from down south come up for the holidays. They think it is the north pole up here.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2017, 12:40 PM »
was out last sunday on a nice sized lake. had about 6'' good ice with about 2'' of frozen slush, and about 3'' of slush/water on top with snow.

its really sketchy out there. lakes very uneven. i did have my snowmobile and flip over out but only in an area that i "knew" was safe.

Trails will be opening up soon, and im afraid for the people who haven't paid any attention to the lakes. probably one of the worst years ive seen in a long time. years like this makes my stomach turn because of the safety issue. i've heard multiple guys fall in so far this year. 

fishing was ok. few eyes. but everything was late. hopefully with the warm temps knocking the snow down, and the eventual cold snap coming, that should help shore up some lakes. but only if we don't get this snow thats coming.

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:48 PM »
Yes I actually felt safer around deer season on the small lakes.  The ice was clear with no bubble and no slush.  The strongest ice.  It was only 4" but once the warmer weather arrived, then rain, followed by snow, things did get worse even though the ice measures thicker. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2017, 01:44 AM »
We need this extreme cold weather bad! I was out today 4” of clear ice on bottom 3” crappy frozen slush ice on top of that then 3” of water on top covered by about 2” of snow. Hard to walk through, not enough to take a machine on, and sloppy as hell. Your boots better be very water proof. Everyone around here is still spooked hardly anyone out.

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Unusual year for sure Eriksat1!  Lots of weight on that small amount of good ice. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Merry Christmas!
Santa brought cold to firm things up. I had minus -10 this morning and calling for minus -16 tonight. The slush should be frozen very soon and able to pull the sled out with snowmobile instead of walking through slush. Thank you Santa!

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2017, 07:48 AM »
-18 F right now with a 7 mile wind.  Too extreme.  We will fish below 0 F with no wind.  We will probably fish Cisco Chain around Land O Lakes on Wed as there should be no slush if the wind is decent.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2017, 02:50 PM »
I had minus -20 this morning at my house and going down to minus -17 tonight. I doubt there will be anymore slush after this cold snap. I would think they will be staking the lakes snowmobile trails soon. If that water and slush freezes we should have 8” of ice now I’m hoping. To cold to go out and check today and back to work tomorrow. By the weekend should be able to take the snowmobile and pull behind sled anyplace. No more walking out for me, that was almost as bad as dragging a deer out of the woods pulling my sled through that slush the other day.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2017, 06:23 PM »
Went out this morning on the ATV and checked ice thickness around Pokegama (Chetek Chain). Found consistent 7-8" except one spot only had 5.5". Ice was nice and hard. I did drive thru one slush patch which made me pucker up a bit 😱. I drilled about a dozen holes in various spots.
As always, be careful. There are places on Pokegama that are never safe!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:36 AM »
Minus -25* here this morning straight temperature not counting wind chill. We’re making ice now baby!
Calling for a high temp today of minus -9*

Offline Troutbum12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Eriksat1-
Anxious to hear if that slush, snow, water layer locks up?!? Heading up on Jan 2.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2017, 12:58 PM »
On my way to work this morning I saw steam rising up from spots on the lake still where I bet there is still water and slush, but with this cold it has to freezing up soon. I heard they are going to start staking the snowmobile trails across the lakes maybe Friday. It is minus -7 right now probably the high for today.

Offline AlphaRooster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2017, 01:20 PM »
I was out on a small national forest lake in Vilas Co.on the 23      5 inches of OK ice with 1"water and 3" of snow on top. A dark spot near the middle kept me closer to shore and shallower than I wanted but the girlfriend iced 19 nice gills and a 16" bass on her jig pole.She comented on how many more fish she caught watching her line instead of the vexilar

Offline jrodm13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:27 AM »
I was up in Vilas county last weekend.  Had 6 inches of ice on a 1,000 acre lake.  Fishing was a bit slow, but still managed to bring a few home for eating (Bluegill, Crappie).  Talked to some people at the bar afterwards, seems that fishing has been slow all around so far. 

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Fished Pokegama (Chetek chain) yesterday for just an hour and a half or so. Caught 7 fish, perch and gills. 5 of the 7 were keepers. The ice was 9" where I set up, I didn't move around. Only a couple others out where I was.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2017, 11:10 AM »
It doesn't look like we are going to get above zero here until Monday or Tuesday. I am going to go out someplace tomorrow with the pop up and buddy heater. The water and slush has to be frozen by now, we had minus -17° again last night.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Had 8-10" on a smaller lake in Rusk County yesterday. Slush was froze solid. Fishing was on fire, caught 50+ crappies at least 10". Was nice to be able to catch one after another sitting in the comfort of the shack, that wind was brutal.
Da Pack!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:48 PM »
went out for a few hours today.  about 6'' of good ice, with 4'' of frozen slush. (i call it just 6'' while others may call it 10'')

slush has not frozen completely. found a few wet spots with the snowmobile ... unreal how well the lakes stay insulated with very little snow. maybe 4'' on top.

bright side fishing was alright. now that this cold front has settled in, fish should start to get active again.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:14 AM »
Many lakes snowmobile trails were staked yesterday and they are starting to stake all the big lakes trails today. We had minus -20* again last night.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:02 PM »
Went out for a couple hours this afternoon. Had to try out my new Clam Nanook. Worked great. Caught just 3 gills and a perch. Fish were there, just couldn't get em biting. Didn't try real hard though, it was just too cold to move...

Lots of cars and trucks on the ice. Only 11", but good clear ice with no slush. Just a couple inches of crusty snow. Fished Pokegama (Chetek Chain) as usual.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Toughed it out in the -20 degrees yesterday morning (nanook thermal works like a charm even in the cold temps). Fished a smaller lake, loaded with 9-10" crappie with an occasional keeper in there. Hooked up with some monster bluegills, 2 of them over 10". Was the only one on the lake with no vehicles driving out but we had a good 12" of ice.
Da Pack!

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Headed to the Minocqua area this week, and although my brother lives around there, I’m still in need of a slush report.  He seems to think there are Lakes with unsafe ice and slush spots to get us stranded. Last thing I want to deal with in sub zero weather.  Anyone fished near Minocqua lately that can report on whether slush firmed up?  Not a big lake (500 acres), so I don’t need to compare it to the larger, deep lakes, just an overall report would be helpful.  Thanks,

Fs

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Headed to the Minocqua area this week, and although my brother lives around there, I’m still in need of a slush report.  He seems to think there are Lakes with unsafe ice and slush spots to get us stranded. Last thing I want to deal with in sub zero weather.  Anyone fished near Minocqua lately that can report on whether slush firmed up?  Not a big lake (500 acres), so I don’t need to compare it to the larger, deep lakes, just an overall report would be helpful.  Thanks,

Fs

hey bud, im about 40 mins from the area, and we are still seeing many slush spots on the lakes yet. they are not really bad, easily crossed with a snowmobile or wheeler.

ice is growing, but much slower than anyone has anticipated. dont drives your trucks out yet. i know some may be already but ive only seen 8'' of black ice so far.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Thanks.  The slush isn’t bad enough to get stuck with a sled right?  I can’t imagine it being too bad after this cold, but without running tracks, we are unsure.  No trucks for us, especially where we are fishing.

Offline walleye-guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Be careful even with the cold snap

12-29-2017 Washburn county spooner lake

Glad it wasn't me and if u look he was following tracks so make sure to really check the ice it is spoty this year still

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.