Author Topic: Fillet knife  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Chaser77

• IceShanty Rookie
Fillet knife
« on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Time for a new one what is everyone else using.
I will buy 2 a larger one and a smaller one.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fillet knife
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:34 AM »
What are you fishung for ?? Like walleye panfish or steel head salmon all require differed lengths.. like pans I use a rubber handle non slip rapala in I think a 7 inch I think I got it at fish usa...  as for walleye I use a crkt short for Columbia river knife and tool  brand .. from them I use the komer big eddy 2 .. for walleye.. as for salmon steel I use a  vitorinix  10 inch cemeter knife basically a jumbo swiss army brand knife..
I also have there brand steel for it to keep it sharp..  as for the komer big eddy 2 and the rapala I use a ceramic hone to keep edge nice.. on those..

A lot of guys swear by those electrics on here like mister twister , rapala, etc... I don't like them my self just a golified turkey carver and to big for doing the job right for me ... but every ones different so keep that in mind

Offline Chaser77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:08 AM »
I had a electric once and gave it away
I picked up a nice rapala 4” and ordered a cutco fillet knife.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:36 PM »
I had a electric once and gave it away
I picked up a nice rapala 4” and ordered a cutco fillet knife.

Those should do the job bUT buy something to keep them sharp.. every so often rehone the rapala  and maybe steel the cutco. Or even a lansky style sharpener by cutco?? Look around figure out what has worked for you.. and go frim there..

Offline albertaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2017, 03:02 PM »
I have a Cutco fillet knife I purchased bout 5 years ago. I touch it up every once in awhile and it cuts great. You can even send them in for resharpening which I have never felt the need for. It is adjustable. Converts from a 6 in blade to 11in. They usually have them on sale at this time of the year. If you know someone who gets cutco emails you could get it on sale.  Good luck.     Albertaboy

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Doesn't have to be fancy just sharp. I run a few different knives some on the upper scale like Buck and a couple custom made and some on the lower end like Rapala. There all good when sharp. It's in the guy running it not the knife. I've seen guys with high end Cutco's butcher nice fillets to death. Pay more attention to the technique than the tool.
Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:17 PM »
You can still find USA made Schrade knives on eBay...

I have two sizes, the walleye, and the steelhead... Both have some real good steel blades, hold an edge really good, and are full tang construction...

You can get either one with wood, fake antler, or black plastic handles...

Killer knives that let your wallet live...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:20 PM »

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Hard to beat a wood handled Rapala. The black ones are China. The wood ones still have Finland stamped on the blade. I can cut up a deer with the 4". Big fish needs the longer blade.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.