Author Topic: Out of towner  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
Out of towner
« on: Nov 08, 2017, 08:03 AM »
Good day, I get the chance to ice fish out of state a few times a winter and have landed a job out in Idaho. What I can offer is that if you ever come to upstate NY I would return the favor with lodging and a good time fishing. I know that not much to offer but we have 20 pound lakers and plenty of places you can get flags all day long. I'm not looking for any Honey holes as I do this more for the experience of seeing new places. Unfortunately I have never been able to return to any of the places in Colorado and Montana that I have fish just due to the nature of my job. All though I have been mesmerized by the size of the perch on cascade I am looking for some other options out there. I will be in the Rigby/Blackfoot area and any advise is appreciated. I will have all my own gear just really looking for some locals to hang with. I will be out there the 1 week of January and pray the weather will cooperate so I can cross another state of the list

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Out of towner
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Howdy, DS.

I live 20 minutes from Blackfoot and about an hour from Rigby.  A drive to Boise is just over 3 hours.  If you want to go after some trout you can hang with us.  If you want some panfish I think you will get some other offers.

I sometimes have business in Rochester.  How far is that from you?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2017, 10:04 AM »
Three hours but I have a few spots and plenty of family out that way. DM this winter if you happen to head out this way. Thank you for the reply as well I really appreciate any advise I can get.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2017, 11:40 AM »
most ice fishing in this area is for panfish and trout, but there's also a couple of opportunities at kokanee and catfish. what are you interested in targeting?

first week of january usually has safe ice in most places, but a couple of spots near blackfoot will probably be unsafe (i'd be cautious of american falls reservoir especially if the winds are bad in the weeks previous)

honestly, most of the best ice fishing that early in the season is further south, down by Preston Idaho. that's where i'll be headed until maybe mid february

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:56 PM »
I live in Malad which is down by the Idaho/Utah boarder. If you want to come down here we can do some fishing. Let me know.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2017, 06:08 PM »
I live in Malad which is down by the Idaho/Utah boarder.

...why does your location say Montana?

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2017, 11:44 AM »
So I got my dates for the job and I will have the morning of January 4th to fish all day. I would like to meet with someone in the morning and would like to target trout of some species. I appreciate the responses so far and hopefully not everyone is working that week. Let me know guys and I would even offer to buy lunch to repay the favor. How is the ice building out that way? I know WI has already locked up and we have a cold front coming in this weekend which should lock up my early spots.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2017, 03:29 PM »
...why does your location say Montana?

Haha I guess I just never changed it. I'm originally from Montana. Maybe I just don't wanna give up that part of my life. I will probably always keep it, can't forget home.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:13 AM »
So I got my dates for the job and I will have the morning of January 4th to fish all day. I would like to meet with someone in the morning and would like to target trout of some species. I appreciate the responses so far and hopefully not everyone is working that week. Let me know guys and I would even offer to buy lunch to repay the favor. How is the ice building out that way? I know WI has already locked up and we have a cold front coming in this weekend which should lock up my early spots.

Jan 4 may work for me.  I should know for sure tomorrow.  I have replied to your PM with my mobile #.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:30 AM »
If we don't get to much snow , Blackfoot Resivior would be 45 miles out of Blackfoot . No matter how much snow we have you could fish Island Park Reservoir.  At the Dam or Lake Side Lodge.  I will check my Schedule.  I love fishing with new people . I have never met anyone on the ice I didn't like . Made many friends .Island Park would be a 2 hour drive from Blackfoot .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Sounds good Curt. It stinks as I travel alot and only usually get a day to myself to explore. I think the hardest thing coming from NY is the how much different the rules are in other states. I have become accustom to fishing the NW at this point in my life but has made me appreciate how easy we have it out here.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:03 PM »
How much gear can you bring from New York ? I have everything we would need . Except what you want to eat and drink . I have plenty of rods and tackle and a new auger in the mail .My 15 year old auger is starting to give me some trouble  . I live in Island Park 9 months out of the year . I have been retired for 4 years and available most of the time with enough warning when  . If you have a good fish finder , bring it . I can supply the rest .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:09 PM »
I can't promise  we will catch fish , that's why it is called fishing not catching . I just enjoy being in the mountains and trying.  If you were going to be here before January 1 we would go To Henry's Lake.  But it closes January 2 . If you get a minute go to YouTube and type in Ice Fishing Henry's lake.  They are not that big in Island Park where we would be fishing .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2017, 01:05 PM »
DM, looks like you should plan on curt as your primary option.  I've got some family medical things going on and can't nail down the date just yet.  I will watch in case curt can't make it and you need an alternate.

If you two will keep me posted on your plans I may be able to meet up.  If we were to fish down here we would probably hit Chesterfield, Deep Creek, or Blackfoot.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:17 PM »
I wish he was coming before January 2 . Henry's  will be out of the question.  I am good with all the lakes you Mentioned . Hope we don't get to much snow . Be hard to get to Blackfoot Resivior . I only live about 50 miles from the Dam on Blackfoot Resivior.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:27 PM »
From here, never hard to get to Blackfoot.  I can drive to the dike lake area in about the same time as driving to Chesterfield, almost 100% asphalt, and all plowed.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:57 AM »
I am not sure where the dike is ? . I go up Lincoln Creek to the dam . Chesterfield is like 110 miles for me .I go up thru Lava .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Curt I will be in town on the 4th of January and will be able to fish from early morning (as early as you wake up.) I can meet you where ever and its more about the experience then the end result for me but I always love some fish to eat. 

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:44 PM »
I will plan on January 4 . I will be fishing several areas between now and then . We will go where the fishing is best.  When you say in town , which town . Blackfoot or Rigby? .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Damonspeeds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2017, 01:40 PM »
My lodging is in Idaho falls but the two car dealership sites are in Rigby and Blackfoot.

Offline HardWaterSlave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cold tired and hungry
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:06 PM »
My lodging is in Idaho falls but the two car dealership sites are in Rigby and Blackfoot.

You gonna make it to town?

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:14 AM »
He sent me a private message I think we are going to do lake Side Lodge on Island Park Reservoir.  It is the most beautiful part of Idaho close by . Thursday January 4 at 9am .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.