Author Topic: Has anyone used the Beam Bender?  (Read 5334 times)

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
Has anyone used the Beam Bender?
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:16 AM »
There's a new product on the market called the Beam Bender sold by North Woods Innovations has anyone had the chance to try it out yet?
I would appreciate any input on this product

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Has anyone used the Beam Bender?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:37 AM »
Can't find anything out about them. Do you have a link to their site?
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Is it like a RAY GUN? ::)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:40 AM »
Under $20 bucks
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:43 AM »
I would just use a piece of copper or aluminum wire, wrap it around the transducer wire to aim it which ever way you want... Under a dollars is better than under $20...

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:50 AM »
Unless you use it for scouting structure, its kind of like "is the grass greener" over there, it will skew your depth reading, and in thick ice how do you know which way the beam is pointed? Unless it can drag my lure 12' over and fish there too.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:52 AM »
I cant imagine the return signal would be accurate-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline PattyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stop wishin' Get fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:54 AM »
When fishing for roaming panfish, specifically crappie, I will swing my transducer back and forth in the hole hoping to show which direction the fish have moved on. This device is trying to mimic that, but holds the head of the transducer at a fixed angle and then you rotate the cable to see a wider area. I'll stick with using my hands to swing the ducer.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2016, 03:12 PM »
this product is a gimmick IMO. you have to put it on the cable to look around, then you move to where the fish are, then you have to take the thing off to check that the fish are still below you, then when they move again you have to put it back on. it's a hassle that only adds more time and effort into finding and catching fish, and if you're interested in actually catching fish, you want to make life simpler for yourself, more streamlined and organized. this does nothing but slow you down.

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2016, 04:16 PM »
 I'm sorry, but my original question was "has anyone used this product"? I too have ideas how to do the same thing this product does, I was curious if anyone has tried it?     

Offline NWIMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:21 PM »
I've used it. In fact I made it.

Came up with the idea late last winter because I was tired of swinging my transducer. Searched the industry for something like this and there was nothing out there. A friend and I made several to try out, and it occurred to us that there may be others out there interested in this.

We don't use it to blindly search for fish, as it was pointed out this takes a lot of time. Where this has worked well is when you're on roaming schools of active fish. We still drill a good number of holes for hole hopping, and we utilize this to determine which direction to move to stay on fish.

As far as a distorted signal is concerned - yes, an angled transducer will register a deeper water column and the bottom is less distinct. But this is a tool for finding fish, and fish look the same whether your are looking straight down at them or at an angle. Suspended fish, like bluegills and crappies, are the easiest to identify.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions.
NWIMike

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:33 PM »
Great idea, say in 20ft of water if you were to tilt the transducer even more, and you had it low enough in the hole,  how far away could you mark fish?

<°)))>{

Offline NWIMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Ice Scratcher - In theory, you can see as far as your sonar beam will travel uninterrupted. Hitting the underside of the ice or structure on the bottom will register as the "bottom" and you will only see fish in front of that target. Now in practice, to look straight horizontal in 20ft of water, you would want your transducer about half way down, using 10ft+ of cord. Most depth finders won't allow this, and you won't know where it is pointed as easily as you can with a short cord. If you keep it shallower and look at an angle slightly less than horizontal (say just below the ice), you will see a long way, but you will also be looking over the top of the majority of the water around you. Remember, sonar cones (even the 20 degree variety) are very narrow.

When I search for fish I almost exclusively use my BB set at the lowest angle which is around 25 degrees. In 20 ft of water that gives my 12 degree transducer a searchable diameter of approximately 24ft, compared to just 4ft looking straight down. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Thanks for the detailed information...

I like your design, well thought out!!

<°)))>{

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:15 AM »
I had an opportunity to use the Beam Bender yesterday . Couple things its fairly light weight ...floats ...easy to place on my Vexilar 12 deg transducer ...was in 6 feet of water placed in the hole ....drilled a hole about 2 feet away...was able to see my jigging motion as I jigged and with its bright orange color its easy to see which way its pointed it also has an clip on direction indicator that you can place further up the transducer cable for thicker ice applications . I really want to test it in deeper water and will as soon as ice conditions allow...I can only guess that it would be great for scouting and locating structure in basin area/deeper water .  Thanks for letting me test your product Beam Bender  :thumbsup: :clap: 

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:35 AM »
I am currently experimenting with one on the main channel river ice, and it's not going to well! The entire river is like a darn slushie rite now! These temps need to warm up so I can give it a fair shot! I will keep you posted Mike! And fellow fisherman! But at first sight, I can say it's gonna be a winner!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline wyfrabill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:59 PM »
Use mine all the time! Love the design and ease of use! Don't be afraid to shoot them questions, he will respond with answer promptly and they have great customer service

Offline NWIMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:03 PM »
I am currently experimenting with one on the main channel river ice, and it's not going to well! The entire river is like a darn slushie rite now! These temps need to warm up so I can give it a fair shot! I will keep you posted Mike! And fellow fisherman! But at first sight, I can say it's gonna be a winner!

Just to clarify this post. Eric is running some tests of how the Beam Bender works in current. We want to see if it is capable of following a lure that is pulled downstream of your hole. This capability is in addition to its intended use of scanning large areas while scouting for fish. If anyone else has tried it in current let us know how it works...

NWIMike

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:39 AM »
I've used it. In fact I made it.

Came up with the idea late last winter because I was tired of swinging my transducer. Searched the industry for something like this and there was nothing out there. A friend and I made several to try out, and it occurred to us that there may be others out there interested in this.

We don't use it to blindly search for fish, as it was pointed out this takes a lot of time. Where this has worked well is when you're on roaming schools of active fish. We still drill a good number of holes for hole hopping, and we utilize this to determine which direction to move to stay on fish.

As far as a distorted signal is concerned - yes, an angled transducer will register a deeper water column and the bottom is less distinct. But this is a tool for finding fish, and fish look the same whether your are looking straight down at them or at an angle. Suspended fish, like bluegills and crappies, are the easiest to identify.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions.
NWIMike
  Looks awesome and well thought out how do I get one can you get one to me through for sale area

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:13 AM »
I bought one for this year but haven't used it . Keep forgetting I have it.
<===Lefty===

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:57 AM »
I vaguely recall seeing where someone made something to do the same thing using pvc. A straight piece with a 45 degree elbow and an end cap on the end. There was a cutout in the tube and cap so the transducer could be inserted. It was like a down facing periscope. You would just turn the tube in whatever direction you wanted to look.
jbird68

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:51 PM »
The old Green box Fish Finder from the 70's had instructions on using the Ducer on a handle on an angle like that. Been doing it for years.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Another way to go

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:29 PM »
I made one last year or 2 years ago with a ski pole and a piece of PVC. Didn't like the way it worked so I bought one this year.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:20 PM »
about three years ago there was one made and about that same time someone tried selling a telescoping pole that held the puck.
i made one out of two zip strips that are the reusable type. this way you can set your own angle(s) and is extremely inexpensive.
one goes onto the cable, the other goes around the widest part of the puck. slide it up or down on the cable for different angles.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:47 PM »
If you do mark fish that are off to the side -- how do you know how far they are from your current hole?  Knowing which direction the school has moved is nice, but it would be better to know how far away to drill the next hole.  I had a Bottomline locator years ago that used to tell you how far off to the side were the fish that were marked.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Just used mine the other day. It was showing fish off to the side at 60 FOW. SO I walked off 45 Feet allowing for the angle and found fish.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.