The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!  (Read 25427 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #120 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Looking forward to it! I am sure it will be worth the wait!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Oct 03, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Reading another thread and found reference to this one.  Its been a long time since the last post....does anyone know what ever became of this?

Edit:  Just saw the post by ice scratcher concerning the new reduction gear unit by Clam but I'm still interested in what happened to the one in the thread just for curiosity sake.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Nov 19, 2016, 07:04 AM »
My construction business blew up, too much work to make any reduction units.   Dora slammed holes for 2 seasons with no absolutely no problems, and still looks brand new. No drill wear at all!...  Before I made a reduction unit, I broke multiple commercial drills pounding 8" holes...  Dora is ready to eat some ice again this year, I may buy a better auger shaft for it this year, the one I have been running is an old Mora, I put a eskimo silver tip on there and it ate ice like crazy!  Gear reduction is the way of the future for sure, in my opinion, It does make the world of difference! 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Nov 20, 2016, 10:08 AM »
My construction business blew up, too much work to make any reduction units.   Dora slammed holes for 2 seasons with no absolutely no problems, and still looks brand new. No drill wear at all!...  Before I made a reduction unit, I broke multiple commercial drills pounding 8" holes...  Dora is ready to eat some ice again this year, I may buy a better auger shaft for it this year, the one I have been running is an old Mora, I put a eskimo silver tip on there and it ate ice like crazy!  Gear reduction is the way of the future for sure, in my opinion, It does make the world of difference!

Pat, glad to hear your work is keeping you busy..

Thanks for sharing your ideas and passion with us..

I'm thankful to have a gear box now for my clam plate.. There is a good chance this thread was part of the drive to get a gear reduction setup commercially made..

Thanks again and good luck this season!!

<°)))>{

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:46 AM »
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity PaW.  I'm sorry to hear you couldn't do more with the unit but the business taking off makes up for it.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #125 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Pat, glad to hear your work is keeping you busy..

Thanks for sharing your ideas and passion with us..

I'm thankful to have a gear box now for my clam plate.. There is a good chance this thread was part of the drive to get a gear reduction setup commercially made..

Thanks again and good luck this season!!

<°)))>{

X2 I think this thread had some bearing on the development of the clam gear box

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:54 AM »
  Interesting thread.   When I see the title I can't help thinking of "DORA the expLORA".  I can't be the only one. :)
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:17 PM »
I am pleased Clam is offering gear box units now, Hearing about the recall on units if funny though.  Dora still cuts ice perfectly 3 years later.  A chain drive makes more sense in my eyes...  Less parts to break.  I think it would be impossible to strip the gears on DORA.  It will take clam a few seasons to work out the kinks I am sure.  Gear reduction just makes sense....    I am proud to have possibly contributed something useful to the industry.  Although I feel like all I did was weld up a little scrap metal.  LOL.  I am sure clam seen the overwhelming need for a gear reduction unit due to all the interest of the Ice shanty members!!!  Props to clam for filling a void in the market.  Now if they can just dial it in.  Props to clam to for standing by their products and offering a recall!!!   

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #128 on: Feb 07, 2017, 02:58 PM »
I would still rather have one made by you, than clam...

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Another flawless season for my homemade gear reduction!!!!!! Same drill and batteries this whole time!  The ice got to 14" this year, hole after hole after hole.......It still blows my mind how well it works!  I stitched a water proof bag around the drill this season that can hold some hand warmers next to the battery in extreme cold, it works awesome! I never thought 5 years later I would still grab DORA over my gas auger.....every time all season long! Next year I am going to treat her to a new Milwaukee! It is going to rip!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Great machine!!! Are you making any for sale?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #131 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:48 PM »
I am pleased Clam is offering gear box units now, Hearing about the recall on units if funny though.  Dora still cuts ice perfectly 3 years later.  A chain drive makes more sense in my eyes...  Less parts to break.  I think it would be impossible to strip the gears on DORA. 

Icegator for all their years never had any mechanical problems and their unit also had a chain drive.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:52 PM »
apparently that Clam plate has lots of probs to iron out before it can be considered reliable.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I am currently brainstorming an aluminum version to run a k drill and a Milwaukee. I have seen too any broken drills this year....... I am really surprised no major companies offer reduction yet.  I watched a guy use a k drill with one hand on a Milwaukee, it about broke his wrist... I did like the k drill, super light.. and the Milwaukee power was impressive, but it still just spins too fast!  Has my mind working.... The worlds lightest power auger????  LOL!  Dora weights 17lbs. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Feb 24, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Keep us informed pls. Can I get 1 on 'back order"/  ;D               I understand that Al is a bit tricky to weld.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #135 on: Feb 24, 2018, 08:48 PM »
I put my order in a long time ago!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #136 on: Feb 25, 2018, 05:54 AM »
I put my order in a long time ago!
Humm, reminds me of Overtons.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.