The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy cuts hard  (Read 1964 times)

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jiffy cuts hard
« on: Jan 03, 2005, 04:35 PM »
I have a jiffy mod 30 and the problem that I have is that it cuts very hard. I put a new blade on it still no change. I sharpend the edges of the point and still no change....It will cut but you have to push down real hard...and that is a problem for me cause I am a short guy......Thanks for the help ;D

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Jiffy cuts hard
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2005, 05:05 PM »
Sounds like you don't have the correct angle on the blade. Did your bit get bent? You may have to shim the blade to get more of an angle.

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2005, 05:21 PM »
Thanks Bob D for the reply. That is what I thought. I may have to bring the file with me the next outing and sharpen it as I go. It was fine before I brought to a "repair" shop for something totally different.....

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:40 PM »
I have a jiffy mod 30 and the problem that I have is that it cuts very hard. I put a new blade on it still no change. I sharpend the edges of the point and still no change....It will cut but you have to push down real hard...and that is a problem for me cause I am a short guy......Thanks for the help ;D

cdc:  You should never have to push on it to get it to cut.  I have the Model 31 Jiffy legend (3HP) w/DIcrArmor and it cuts through the ice like butter.  Definitely get it checked out.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2005, 08:33 PM »
Thanks..I will have to. Do you think that some one that works on the heads will know about the shaft??

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2005, 09:43 PM »
Thanks..I will have to. Do you think that some one that works on the heads will know about the shaft??

cdc:  I copied the following from the Jiffy website: 

Q: What is the warranty on a Jiffy Power Ice Drill?
A: Jiffy has the best warranty and service available in the industry. There are Jiffy and Tecumseh authorized service stations all across North America to provide any needed service. All Jiffy Power Ice Drills have a full one-year warranty period from date of purchase. If you have a problem with the engine, refer to the nearest Authorized Tecumseh® Service Center for warranty service and repair of your Jiffy Power Ice Drill. If the problem is not related to the engine, refer them to the nearest Jiffy Authorized Service Center for warranty service and repair. For the location of the nearest Jiffy Authorized Service Center, call Feldmann Engineering at 920-467-6167. For the location of the nearest Tecumseh Authorized Service Center, call 800-558-5402.

Good luck ;)

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Gulfman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:43 PM »
Just a suggestion...you have to take the black guard off the blade first, then it should cut like a damn.................. ....lol.......couldn't resist...........GULF

birdog

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:43 PM »

I had the same problem on my early 80's model 30  7" auger.  It was cutting hard and at the point of busting through the bottom of the hole the blade would get stuck and kill the engine.  I examined the blade and pilot point and they looked fine.  We still used it until it finally happened.  THE METAL PLATE THAT THE BLADE IS MOUNTED (SCREWED) ONTO BROKE.  tHE FACTORY WELDS BROKE.  I had it welded but we couldn't get that factory angle back.  After having it welded twice, I decided to call jiffy.

Jiffy said to send it in and they would fix it.  All it would cost is shipping on my part.  They did ask if I wanted a new drill assembly at $113-135 cost.  They did mention that they had factory demo drills available and that they didn't put this on their website because of low inventory and high demand.  These 'used' drill assemblies are used by their pro staff for one season or less.  Price:  $78.00 (including shipping).  I ordered on tue. and received it on thurs.  I now have a well-tuned, iced drillin' machine!

So, check your mounting plate, if broken call jiffy for repair details or order a factory demo, if they are still available.

Good Luck,

birdog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.