The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363406 times)

Offline FINSNGILS

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2730 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Help ! Does anyone know how to adjust the throttle cable in a manner that keeps it from coming out of the metal thing on the carburetor mine keeps coming loose on the car ride in and will not stay in the metal holder for lack of a better term I’ll include a picture there must be a way to tighten the cable thanks in advance

loosen the jam nut on the bottom of the bracket that the cable housing is threaded in to. Unscrew the cable housing until all the slack is removed from the cable, then while holding the cable housing in place, tighten the jam nut back against the bracket. Just don't over tighten the cable or it will mess with your idle settings.

Offline icemann13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2731 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Hi guys(and maybe gals) just found this thread. I am currently in the market for an auger, just sold my Pro 4 thank god, and I'm currently torn between the Z51 and Rocket F1. Any info on these two to help me with the choice I'd appreciate. Thanks!

Bought the F1 a few weeks ago as my first power auger. Starts and runs like a dream. Needed a bit of extra priming today in sub zero temps but it made the chips fly.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2732 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:53 AM »
I was wondering how often, if at all, you guys open your transmission case and replace or add grease?  What grease do you use, how difficult is it to do, and is there anything to be careful of?  I don't know what made me start thinking about this and I don't have any issues with my auger so it's not something I'd do until the off season.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #2733 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:43 PM »
I was wondering how often, if at all, you guys open your transmission case and replace or add grease?  What grease do you use, how difficult is it to do, and is there anything to be careful of?  I don't know what made me start thinking about this and I don't have any issues with my auger so it's not something I'd do until the off season.

I was also curious about that.  My old Magnum III Strikemaster lasted many years and I never split the gear case to check or change the lube.  I think Eskimo recommends checking the gear case lube annually.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2734 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I bought my Mako back in 2003, never did it, and don't have any issues with it.  It runs and cuts great and no signs of any grease leaking out but if it'd prevent problems in the future it'd be worth doing.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2735 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:36 PM »
I clean all the stock grease out, use a new gasket and use the same amount (guess) of the best Synthetic grease.

The product part code is:  GLCCR

Application Recommendation
Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is the preferred choice for a wide range of ambient temperatures, wet environments, wheel bearings, suspension systems and a variety of automotive applications.

Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is recommended in heavy- and light-duty applications found in manufacturing facilities, automobiles, trailers and landscaping, agricultural and powersports equipment. These include, but are not limited to, roller bearings, plain bearings, thrust bearings, gears, electric motors, presses, winches, bushings, wheel bearings, chassis lubrication, universal joints, ball joints, tie-rod ends and steering knuckles.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2736 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:38 PM »
How often do you do it?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2737 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:40 PM »
although I don't own a eskimo ice auger, ive had a lot of gas ice augers and never had to grease the transmision gears ever.my oldest is a 1971 jiffy and its still rips ice.i think if the clutch slips you might have to get in there and clean grease off the clutch.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2738 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Shouldn't have to crack open and add grease. However, after 8-10 years, wouldn't be a bad idea. New gasket and a good cold-weather PTFE grease and you should be good to go. Just do NOT overpack grease.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2739 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Thanks Pal, I guess I found my off season project.  Is there anything I should watch out for or any tricks to keep in mind besides don't over pack the grease?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2740 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Hey Chris! Howz it goin?  Other than tighten in a cross-hatch pattern, and don't over-tighten,  not really. I forgot how much grease goes into the gearcase, have it somewhere around here. I know the 'mo tech manual does say in oz's, though....bet Eva could tell ya, too.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2741 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Thanks for the info Pal, things are going well here and with the cold spell we've been having we have a lot better ice than last year.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2742 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Hey Chris! Howz it goin?  Other than tighten in a cross-hatch pattern, and don't over-tighten,  not really. I forgot how much grease goes into the gearcase, have it somewhere around here. I know the 'mo tech manual does say in oz's, though....bet Eva could tell ya, too.

Hey Rebelss...empty out your mailbox will ya' ?  :-\
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2743 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Guys my tank is leaking where the grommet line comes out tank to carb. Is there a diff tank mod or factory recall on this ???
Hard charger !

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2744 on: Jan 28, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Guys my tank is leaking where the grommet line comes out tank to carb. Is there a diff tank mod or factory recall on this ???
IF you replace the grommet always keep the tank full or it dries it out. Eskimo say's that happens because of low fuel and causes it to dry. No recall on it but it is a common problem.
<===Lefty===

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #2745 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:29 PM »
although I don't own a eskimo ice auger, ive had a lot of gas ice augers and never had to grease the transmision gears ever.my oldest is a 1971 jiffy and its still rips ice.i think if the clutch slips you might have to get in there and clean grease off the clutch.
My 30 year old jiffy never had the grease checked, still running strong. My 10 year old jiffy-el-junko has no problem with the transmission, the only part without issues. Dropping a cap on a new Mako tomorro!
Thread killer

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2746 on: Feb 11, 2018, 11:04 PM »
I'll start by saying I had a challenging day on the ice today with my Eskimo Mako 43cc. Last year I was using regular fuel mixed with HUSQVARNA 2 stroke oil. My auger ran pretty good. It would usually start on the 2nd or 3rd pull when cold and then after that on the first pull. Once in a while I would notice a blue oily liquid coming out of the exhaust and dripping on to the auger. One day I needed to mix up more fuel and realized I had mixed it incorrectly from the start. The bottle of oil was for 2.5 gallons of gas. I'd run my auger from new for a year and a bit on an incorrect mix. I had mixed the oil in 2 gallons of gas . I mixed a new batch of fuel to the proper 50:1 and the auger ran great. Started on first or second pull. Lots of power when drilling.

A few weeks ago a buddy of mine was at the Lawnmower hospital getting his Eskimo auger tuned up. The Technician suggested to him that Aspen premix 50:1 was the best thing going for a persons auger . He relayed this info to me and figured why not. I drained my tank and filled it with the Aspen Premix 50:1 fuel.

The auger started fine. I noticed it ran a little rougher. I figured it was just the higher octane in the Aspen fuel. Today at the lake I started the auger as usual; started easy. Drilled a few holes. Then the auger started to bog while drilling. I worked through the bogging and manged to drill 5 more holes. I let the auger sit for half hour in disbelief. Then I though Ill try to drill a few more holes. When I went to start the auger I noticed a lot of blueish oil residue had dripped from the exhaust onto the flute. Their was oil all around the exhaust. Please note I had run the auger 5 or 6 times at home to test it on the Aspen fuel and to have the fuel run through the whole system. I drilled 10 more holes with the auger only bogging twice more .

Could it be that the Apsen is cleaning out the carb and motor which was causing the bogging , and the blueish oil is residue from the previous years usage with too rich of a mix? Or is Aspen its self causing my auger to bog?

Thanks in advance

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2747 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:28 AM »
Best you start here last year. This could have all been prevented by reading back a few pages to where it says ONLY USE NON ETHANOL FUEL.
Somewhere here there is mentioned the use of Amsoil Sabre 100:1 synthetic lubricant, mixed 80:1.  No other additives are needed because fuel stabilizer is already in it, in the proper proportion.     
   From what you say it's doing, you may need a carb overhaul.
   We could be more helpful if we knew you location. But, you've kept that secret by not completing you profile.

You can search for good fuel by clicking this link   https://www.pure-gas.org/

You can find parts at :  https://www.geteskimo.com/Parts?category=1   (Phone # at contact us.  Ask for Eva.

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2748 on: Mar 22, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Best you start here last year. This could have all been prevented by reading back a few pages to where it says ONLY USE NON ETHANOL FUEL.
Somewhere here there is mentioned the use of Amsoil Sabre 100:1 synthetic lubricant, mixed 80:1.  No other additives are needed because fuel stabilizer is already in it, in the proper proportion.     
   From what you say it's doing, you may need a carb overhaul.
   We could be more helpful if we knew you location. But, you've kept that secret by not completing you profile.

You can search for good fuel by clicking this link   https://www.pure-gas.org/

You can find parts at :  https://www.geteskimo.com/Parts?category=1   (Phone # at contact us.  Ask for Eva.

Thank you for the suggestions. Finally the auger runs perfect. All the old oil and gunk  has blown out of the system. It took and tank and a half to clear it all out.  I also ran a tank with seafoam , as a precaution. Moving forward I will only use NON ETHANOL FUEL.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2749 on: Mar 22, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Great, hartly.    Glad to hear it worked out well.     :clap:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2750 on: Sep 19, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Here's some interesting info I found out.  I was on Eskimo's website looking to pick up a spare set of 8 inch Turbo Cut blades for my 2003 Mako but couldn't find them.  I emailed Eskimo and Eva told me that they don't make or have them anymore however I can get them through Strikemaster and the replacement blade I need is their  LPD-8PB which is their Lazer Power Replacement Blades.  In case anyone needs these blades Strikemaster has them in 6 through 10 inch versions.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2751 on: Sep 21, 2018, 06:07 AM »
Willing to bet the Lazer Hand auger blades will also fit the Eskimo Silvertip. I know when I first got the Silvertip the second time out one of the blades broke in half. I called Eskimo and they sent me out Turbo Blades. I called them again and they said they would send out the Silvertip blades but in the mean time just use the older Turbo blades that they would fit just not perfect. Sure enough they worked out fine and are still on the Auger.
<===Lefty===

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2752 on: Sep 21, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Probably would, they look like the same shape.  I wonder if the Lazer power blades are an exact match to the shape of the Turbo Cut power blades.

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2753 on: Sep 27, 2018, 10:43 PM »
Just bought the new Z71. Check out the new handle design at the Eskimo website . Eskimo has copied the F1 Rocket design. Im loving the new look and more solid construction.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2754 on: Sep 28, 2018, 11:46 AM »
No more Z51 on their site. I loved mine and it never gave me trouble.
<===Lefty===

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2755 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:39 PM »
Was out with a friend today ice fishing. He bought the new Eskimo F1 Rocket.  I was impressed how fast it drilled through 18 inches of ice. For the heck of it I brought my 3 year old Eskimo Mako 43cc auger to putz around and drill the odd hole. After watching me drill a couple of holes, my buddy challenged me to an auger race. I was shocked with the results. With the Mako 43cc , I drilled  two holes to my friends one hole using the F1 rocket. Needless to say he wasn't to happy and was in disbelief.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #2756 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:43 PM »
Was out with a friend today ice fishing. He bought the new Eskimo F1 Rocket.  I was impressed how fast it drilled through 18 inches of ice. For the heck of it I brought my 3 year old Eskimo Mako 43cc auger to putz around and drill the odd hole. After watching me drill a couple of holes, my buddy challenged me to an auger race. I was shocked with the results. With the Mako 43cc , I drilled  two holes to my friends one hole using the F1 rocket. Needless to say he wasn't to happy and was in disbelief.

There's no replacement for displacement.  When I got ready to buy a new auger, I weighed (no pun intended) the benefits of lighter weight vs. more power and picked the Mako 43 over the F1. 

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2757 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:07 AM »
There's no replacement for displacement.  When I got ready to buy a new auger, I weighed (no pun intended) the benefits of lighter weight vs. more power and picked the Mako 43 over the F1. 

Tight lines,
Bob
Glad I read both these messages. I was thinking about getting the F1 and now I think I will go with the Mako. Waiting for a great deal although I might wait too long. No hurry though might wait until next year end deals.
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2758 on: Feb 02, 2019, 08:11 AM »
I just wish my eskimo blades would hold up better! They cut like a banshee for about 400-500 holes then fall flat on their faces.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2759 on: Feb 02, 2019, 08:48 AM »
I just wish my eskimo blades would hold up better! They cut like a banshee for about 400-500 holes then fall flat on their faces.

Ever read the troubleshooting section of the owners manual?

"Dull Blades: replace blades" 
:-[

Can't be very high quality steel- ie worth sharpening- if it's made to be disposable...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.