Author Topic: Line choice for lakers  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
Line choice for lakers
« on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:40 PM »
I'm new to ice shanty but this seems a lot better than fish explorer. My in-laws bought a cabin in grand lake so I'm considering starting my love/hate relationship with that giant puddle known as lake granby. From what I've gathered finding the fish is the hardest part of the whole deal but I was wondering about line choice. I'd imagine some decent braid and a heavy mono leader but what lb test braid and what color? I was always told trout have pretty good eye sight so I'm clueless. I've got my heavy action ugly stick and some 3 1/2" tubes in a few colors and my flasher. Ill punch holes for the next 2 years trying to find these damn things just need some help with the line lol

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Line choice for lakers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:23 PM »
I use braided line as a mainline and 8lb fluorocarbon leader material, have tamed fairly large lakers with this setup and a steady drag.I dunno what pound the braid is, 20 ought to be fine that aspect is fairly trivial.  In my experience braided line is necessary  as it has less stretch which can be a factor on hook sets in over 60fow.  Braided is also a pain in the dick when it's below freezing so a shanty and heater come in handy or you'll hate your life. 
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:31 PM »
That makes sense. What about color? There are a 100 different color braided lines out there? I've got my hut and heater so I'm good on that. 2' leader do it or is that over kill?

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:45 PM »
That makes sense. What about color? There are a 100 different color braided lines out there? I've got my hut and heater so I'm good on that. 2' leader do it or is that over kill?

I think the coLor of the braid is irrelevant, that's why you have a leader.  I use green for what it's worth, mostly bc I like that color.  18-24" leader should  be good.  Barrrel swivel it up to reduce line twist.  Just so long as it's not so long that the barrel swivel gets caught up in the rod eyes just as the laker comes thru the hole, had that happen today ;D
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:07 AM »
Awesome, I appreciate the help!

Offline Lakenater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:50 AM »
I think the coLor of the braid is irrelevant, that's why you have a leader.  I use green for what it's worth, mostly bc I like that color.  18-24" leader should  be good.  Barrrel swivel it up to reduce line twist.  Just so long as it's not so long that the barrel swivel gets caught up in the rod eyes just as the laker comes thru the hole, had that happen today ;D
I use braid for Lakers it does not strech for hook set and you can use with a bait cast reels. They make some killer small bait cast reels for ice fishing. I use PowerPro in red I perchase from Discount tackle. Braid is smaller than mono so 20 lb. Braid is the same size as 6 lb. Mono. Read the box. Mach your line size fore knot strength. Red is invisible to fish 5ft. Down. Trilene makes Micro Ice that is smaller than PowerPro in diamater. I still like PowerPro.

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:41 PM »
Me and bait casters don't get along lol. I fished with one out on the Tennessee river when I lived in Alabama for a year and I almost chucked that 200$ reel in the river lol. I still break it out every now and again but as soon as it back spools I put it down. (About a dozen casts) I do love the power of that rod and reel though... I appreciate the help!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:30 AM »
I've always used straight Floro, 8lb, and have caught plenty of Lakers. Only issue is you will get some line twist after awhile, especially in deeper water. I am also going to try some braid on one reel this season, & see how I like it. Haven't mastered the uni-uni knot yet, so will probably use a small swivel. (It's worked in open water so far :-)

Offline Crit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:31 PM »
12lb is all you need. If you like to dink fish then you could go down

Offline Lakenater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:36 PM »
I use same line on all my phlueigers open face.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:25 PM »
I have been using Tuffline Duracast 15# braid to a small swivel to a 10’ length of 10# fluoro for several years now with great results. One is a casting outfit, the other a mh spinning outfit. Best part is the Duracast doesn’t absorb water and doesn’t ice up outside. I run and gun off my Can Am at Blue so that’s a big plus. I buy my Duracast on EBay, even though it’s made in Grand Junction. The swivel goes through my over sized rod guides, I like the 10’ cause short leaders can pop on the huge hook sets needed and add a little stretch to keep them from throwing a heavy jig head.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2018, 05:37 PM »
10# Floro is what the head of the "Lake Trout Mafia" Bernie Keefe uses and recomends. Works well for me.

Offline Hookerhooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:33 PM »
The Godfather

Offline Lakenater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:13 AM »
A-men

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2018, 03:06 PM »
2X what JohnnyO and Grabrewski say.  I use Sufix Elite 6 lb test as a leader and have great confidence in it.  Pay attention to the twist aspect.  Lakers don't like spinning tubes.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:48 PM »
Anyone try nano? I'm still running 10/12 # flouro and it works but the line spools off faster than the jig can fall! Wish braid didn't freez up so bad!

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:02 PM »
I use Nanofil on most outfits but not on ice because it freezes on the spool but would be good inside the hut. Duracast IS braid that doesn’t freeze.  The use of SWIVELS prevent spinning tubes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.