Author Topic: Couple of Pike videos.  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
Couple of Pike videos.
« on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:37 PM »
http://www.incogs.net/videos/Pike.wmv  14.8mb

http://www.incogs.net/videos/PikeEscape.wmv  8mb

The first one ended up breaking the line.  The second one, well it's pretty obvious what happened.  I've edited the videos for just the action.  In both videos when you see the scene change slightly, about 2.5 minutes elapse where there isn't anything worth seeing going on.

Enjoy,

Inc

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Offline jo-jos_jigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Couple of Pike videos.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Good vid man!

Offline fishon100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:54 PM »
great video!!!! How did you set up the aqua view to record????? Thanks! Fishon

Offline fishit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:54 PM »
GREAT VIDEO , KEEP EM COMING!!
.. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Coming out of the video out port on the aquaview, I plug it in to this:

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/review.php?item=mpm201&file=9

It is a Mpeg4 (divx) recorder with a 30gb hard drive and a 3.5 inch screen.  It also functions as a tv tuner, mp3 player, Picture viewer, 30 gb external hard drive and voice recorder (sucks at this).  The aqua view is my fathers and I just borrow it once in awhile.  My new color underwater camera should be here tomorrow.  This will hopefully fix the graininess and white balance problems I've been having.  The camera also has 46 infrared lights for night fishing.

This video was taken with a web cam that I modified to be water proof and hooked up to a laptop via a usb cable:

http://www.incogs.net/videos/IceFishing.wmv

The problem with this was 1)  The length of the usb cable is limited to about 20 feet without using an active repeater cable, 2) The lens used on the web cam had too narrow a field of view, and 3) You need a pretty powerful laptop to view and record the footage.

Between the NHJ recorder, the underwater camera, and the rechargeable 12 volt battery to run this, I've spent about 400.00.  While that sounds like a lot, looking at the aquaviews that provide color monitors are about the same price, however they don't record.  I'll take some pictures of my set up once I get the camera and make a holder for it.

Inc

aka - Carnage-meister

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:40 PM »
Cool videos, the color is sweet!

Question on that NHJ recorder, does it need 120v power to record? I looked at J&R's site and it said "press record on the docking station while TV is plugged in" so was wondering if you can take it "in hand" and plug it into an Aqua-vu on the ice and record or not.

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:54 PM »
Yes and No.  Currently I'm using my portable base from my fishing graph.  This has two 6 volt lantern batteries in it.  I've rewired it so that I have a cord coming out that provides the base with 6 volts.  This allows the base to have power and also charges the battery in the portable unit.

Inc

aka - Carnage-meister

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:58 PM »
So the docking station can run on 6v dc as well as 120v ac?
Looks like it can take analog av and convert to digital also, yes?

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2006, 03:00 PM »
The docking station has a power adapter that goes from 110 volts ac to 6 volts dc.

Yup, the video in is either rca, svideo, or the cable tv tuner (all analog).  It then stores the video in DIVX mpeg 4 on the hard drive.  To make it better for the web, I copy the video to my computer.  Then I import it to window movie maker, save it as a .wmv file, then re-import it to creat clips which I can edit.

Inc

aka - Carnage-meister

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2006, 04:02 PM »
After I asked I figured you had cut the ac adapter cord and wired the round pin connector to a gel-cell or something along those lines. That unit sounds like a good deal compared to Aqua-vu's DVR accessory for almost the same price. Have you had any problems with operating the JHR in the cold?

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:52 PM »
The only problem I see that might happen is lower battery life.  The battery in the unit lasts for about 3 hours of video / 5 of just audio (mp3's).  Last Sunday, I had the unit off the base for a few hours showing and editing the video.  When I went back to the shanty, it took me about an hour to get it chopped out of the ice and raised up on 2x4s.  All the time the unit was turned off sitting on my sled in 23 degree weather.  When I got back into the shanty, the low battery warning was beeping.  After it warmed up in the shanty and was plugged into the base for a few minutes, it shot up to 75% battery left.

As for the adapter, I just went to radio shack and got one of those universal plug adapters meant for wiring in line.  Then I found the head that fit the base and wired it that way.

Inc

aka - Carnage-meister

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:10 PM »
Cool, thanks.

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2006, 07:53 PM »
Another thing on the batteries...  If you look, you can find them on the internet as a np-100 type battery.  I think the best price that I saw was 20 ish dollars for a battery and charger, 12 for just the battery.  I'll probably be getting a few extras for backup.  They are the same batttery that some fuji digital cameras use.

I'll post some video with this new camera during or after this weekend.

Inc

aka - Carnage-meister

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2006, 06:32 AM »
Instead of using disposable 6v lantern batteries you might want to look at 6v gel-cell (sealed) rechargeable batteries (like used in flashers, Aqua-vu's, and emergency lighting in buildings, they come in 6 and 12v). I recharge them on my car battery charger that has 6 and 12v settings, they work great. You can get them at electrical supply distributors, on-line, or even places like Home-Depot.

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:04 PM »
Got the new camera last night...   This should be great!  It has 46 IR led's and can see clearly in pitch black conditions.  The video is much clearer as well.  Can't wait until it gets underwater tomorrow.

I'll probably get two rechargeables when I get this system figured out.  Right now I'm looking at different pelican cases to house the system.

Inc

aka - Carnage-meister

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:18 AM »
Cool, color right? I got the NHJ in the mail yesterday, did you have to instll Dr.Divx to use the files in Movie Maker? I could view them in Media Player but they wouldn't import to Maker until I installed Divx (to get the codec I guess, it was defaulting to Nero codec - now says divx) and now I get their logo in the bottom corner on them all which kind of sucks.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:59 AM »
Great pike videos Incognito!

In my province it is illegal to use perch as bait ::)
Andrew

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2006, 01:27 PM »
Web,

Yeah, I did install Dr. Divx on one of the computers to try it out.  I believe on my video editing comp, I downloaded the latest divx codec for Windows media player.  After I did that, windows movie maker would import the video, but wouldn't make clips automatically.  There is a way to do them manually, but I'd have to have the program in front of me to remember exactly how (At work now).  To fix this, I finished the movie in .wmv format, then re-imported the video into window movie maker and allowed it to creat clips automatically.

The new camera is color during the day and switches automatically to B&W with IR led on as it gets darker.  I didn't get any super video this weekend due to smelt fishing and next weekend I have a trip to Indy.

I'll be looking at Home depot for those batteries that you told me about,  ;D I think I have a plan  ;D

tip_uptwo,  In Michigan it is legal to use any lawfully caught fish as bait with a few exceptions of non-native invasive fish.

Inc

aka - Carnage-meister

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:26 PM »
Cool pike videos.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Inc,

I hooked up the NHJ to a 6v battery and the cradle lights up OK but the unit's red light (top right) doesn't come on like it does with the 120v plugged in. It runs and records but drains the internal battery REAL quick and it starts that low battery beeping. Did you have this problem?

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Yeah, I did have that problem but only after using the unit on the cradle for about 15-20 hrs.  I was going to check to see two things:  The voltage coming out of the adapter vs. the voltage from the lantern battery, and to a lesser extent the milliamps provided by each.  I'm sure the lantern battery can provide enough milliamps, but haven't tested it yet.  I used a duracell lantern battery and when I checked the voltage originally it was 6.5 volts.  I need to re-check it now that it no longer charges the unit's battery.

Inc

aka - Carnage-meister

billybono

« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:57 PM »
ive got an rca lyra with a 20 gb hard drive and same size screen.... but it wont record off the aqua vu  ??? are you using a regular patch cable?  the lyra records fine off a tv and the tv out on the aqua vu works fine, but i cant seem to get the 2 to work together

billybono

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2006, 01:19 PM »
Inc, Did your red light come on up top when running on the 6v like on 120? I'm charging the unit up more to make sure that it wasn't because of a "not fully charged" internal battery. I also checked my sealed battery it was 6v but didn't meter the adapter to see if its really 5v or not.

billybono, Ours uses an a/v cable supplied with the unit which has the normal red, white, and yellow plugs to go to a TV on one end and the other end is a single pin connector to go to the PVR (personal video recorder) and only using the yellow for the video. I don't see why yours wouldn't work in a similar way.

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Webguy,

To be honest, I don't remember.  I believe that when the duracell lantern battery was first connected the light stayed green, then later after all those hours it turned to red.  I may have that backwards though.  I do know that when using the unit in video mode off of the base, it lasts for 2 hrs 58 minutes - ish.  When I had it on the base and attached to the 6 volt lantern battery, I was viewing the video from the camera for over 7 hrs and when I detatched it from the base, the bat indicator was full.  I will test it further and get back to you, but it might not be until after the weekend as I'm going out of town.

billybono,

What model of the lycra are you using?  I think I am wrong here  --->  My first inclination is to say the aqua view is outputting a non-standard resolution that the lycra doesn't like.  I would next plug the aqua view into a vcr's video in port and try to record to a vcr tape.  If that works, then I would plug the lycra into the video out of the vcr and test to see if that works.  If both work, then the lycra definitely doesn't play well with the aquaview and should be scolded repeatedly until it does  ;D   Actually, just give me the model number and I'll try to figure it out for you.

Inc

aka - Carnage-meister

billybono

« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:40 PM »
thats got to be it. its an rd2780a. it is picky on a lot of formats, but ive got software work arounds for most of em. upgaded with the latest firmware also i think. pretty much i got a hell of a deal on it last year, and pretty much only use it as a hard drive on my mame machine  ;)  i wrote rca and aqua vu a year ago with no response. also some old posts about it here also. i might just get an archos  ;)

billybono

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Apr 03, 2006, 01:23 PM »
Nice vids. Funny how that pike hit the shiner and hooked itsself then was trying to throw the hook :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:37 PM »
Second one was so close!  I hate it when that happens.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2006, 09:10 AM »
nice vids
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.